11-Jun-2012, 05:37
you all gotta check these out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJVCcPaaWwg

cheers

eddie

CCHarrison
11-Jun-2012, 05:44
eddie,

In this case, "size matters!" You do know that they made numbers 9 & 10 which are even larger? I am sure its only a matter of time before you haul one of those monsters in....

I am going to add your video to my blog.... will we see these for sale at any point soon?

Best
Dan

eddie
11-Jun-2012, 05:57
thanks dan.

i have actuall had bigger petzvals in my hands.....but only one or two really. i should have bought this one (http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9249929) years ago!

yup, i am keeping my eyes out ofr the biggest ones. i know a guy that has two that he claims are nearly 2 feet tall.

he has agreed to tape my name and number on to bottom of them so one day i may get a call to come pick em up.....lets hope so!

thanks for adding the video to your blog.

yes, everything is for sale.....:) especially after seeing that big (but smaller than these) dallmeyer go for $9300 last month.....:)

more videos to come soon.

eddie

tuant
11-Jun-2012, 07:40
Nice find, Eddie! Your cone is the third largest cone Jamin/Darlot made. I have the second largest one and I know one largest one in a museum. (not sure if I will ever see another largest one surfacing) For your cone, there are acutally two types: the one made earlier had smaller back elements, the later one had large elements (elements much closer to the edge of the cone). After messing around with about 20 cones large and small, I found the later ones have a large coverage. V8 is nice, although it is not a real Petzval. I would like to see you get the #9 eventually:) Just brought my 24x32 camera with me to US yesterday. I will show that off sometime. Guys always love it big:D

eddie
11-Jun-2012, 08:22
Not sure what you mean by not a real petzval.....it has an airspaced group in the rear and a cemented group in the front......

More videos to come.

tuant
11-Jun-2012, 08:37
Is there another V#8? I thought #8 only belongs to Series VI and that is actually RR lens. The coverage for #8 is huge, 9# is even bigger. I have been looking for a #9for two years now:D Someone here once saw a #9 in aluminum but didn't buy it. I forgot who that was. It would be interesting to see one. Actually, if I do get a #9, I will make a camera just for that lens (40x50) :D

CCHarrison
11-Jun-2012, 09:45
Eddie - I've updated my Blog and have highlighted your video in today's posting.

http://antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Best
Dan

eddie
11-Jun-2012, 09:50
This is not an RR. most definatly not. :::)))

CCHarrison
11-Jun-2012, 10:02
Tuant, Voigtlander made petzvals all the way through at least # 13 ! See my older blog post on April 5, 2012 showing Voigtlander's 1864 Catalogue http://antiquecameras.net/blog92.html

Dan

tuant
11-Jun-2012, 10:26
That explains it! I have a #7 which I couldn't match up in VI series. Now I see it is a No 7 Petzval for 13 1/2 inch plates. Eddie's No. 8 is for 16" plates, although it should be good for 16x20. People in old days were very cautious and conservative with coverage, unlike modern practise, where stretching a few inches is always a selling point. The cone is also good for 16". In the old days, it is probably meant for 12x15. The one sold earlier on Ebay for over 11 thousand dollars was probably a No. 13 for 24" plates. I know who bought it and it is a great lens.

Emil Schildt
11-Jun-2012, 11:11
Someone here once saw a #9 in aluminum but didn't buy it. I forgot who that was.

that would be me... held it in Prague - the costs was about 1000$, and I didn't buy it.......:o

Great lenses Eddie!

Mark Sawyer
11-Jun-2012, 11:33
If only we knew where they'd spent the last 150 years, and could see the images they made. These were pretty special lenses for accomplished photographers and studios.

eddie
11-Jun-2012, 12:48
The one sold earlier on Ebay for over 11 thousand dollars was probably a No. 13 for 24" plates. I know who bought it and it is a great lens.

does he want this one? :)

that would be me... held it in Prague - the costs was about 1000$, and I didn't buy it.......:o

been kicking yourself sinec then eh?

Great lenses Eddie!

thanks. i love em all!

wait till you see my next video.....:)

tuant
11-Jun-2012, 15:33
does he want this one? :)

Please email me with your best offers on both and I will ask for you:D I have larger ones than both so I am not going to get involved this time. It has becoming too costly:D