PDA

View Full Version : New or re-silvered mirrors for LF reflex cameras

IanG
11-Jun-2012, 05:34
I've found a company Vacuum Coatings Ltd in London (http://www.scientificmirrors.co.uk/Autocue%20and%20FS%20Mirrors.html), UK, who will restore existing reflex mirrors from reflex cameras or make new ones. I ordered a 70mmx75mm screen today for a Thornton Pickard Ruby Reflex I'm restoring and they expect it to be ready by Thursday. They will cut me a new one and the final price is £16 ($25) which seems very reasonable.

They offer a range of other services some of interest to us as photographers, for instance they make beam spliiters glass,

Ian

Bob Salomon
11-Jun-2012, 08:07
They are doing front surface mirrors, right?

Nathan Potter
11-Jun-2012, 08:18
Ian, that's an impressively low price. I wonder about the details. What is the reflective coating material and is it vacuum deposited thin film? If silver or aluminum is it over coated with a protective layer of say silicon dioxide or magnesium fluoride? Per Bobs comment, I assume these must be front surface mirrors.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

IanG
12-Jun-2012, 01:13
Bob, Nathan, yes vacuum coated aluminium front surfaced mirrors. They'll make or restore what you want.

I had a quote from another UK company and it was quite a bit more, however I think they didn't normally work with camera mirrors.

I had decided to to re-silver the original mirror myelf - I have everything needed and it's quite obvious from the silver on the sides and back that Thornton Pickard madw their own mirrors (it's a mess). However I don't have access to a fume cupboard locally so buying a new screen is an easier option,

Talking to the company they knew exactly what was needed. When I said my current mirror was 1.5mm they told me it was probably 1.1mm, which they stock, however I'd tried a piec of 2mm glass and it fits (in register) and will be more robust. 1.1mm is the glass used for 35mm & 120 mirrors.

IAn

mamypoko
18-Jun-2012, 01:58
Hey Ian,

Thanks for the link, my Hassy 500c mirror broke and its a pain trying to find a local company to do it here in Singapore.

IanG
18-Jun-2012, 03:30
My mirror arrived this morning and it's superb, well worth the money.

Ian