PDA

View Full Version : Building a DIY Sinar Handy ~ Which Focusing Device?

Frank Petronio
9-Jun-2012, 06:06
Looking at my pile of Sinar parts, I realized that I could almost build a Handy type camera. The only missing link is the focusing Helicoil.

Given the thickness of the Sinar standard, lens boards, back assembly, has anyone here found an easy, nearly off-the-shelf and inexpensive way to focus a wide angle lens? I don't own the lens yet either, so I'd maybe even follow your advice and get what is known to work (a tiny 90mm Angulon would be ideal to me).

I have a Linhof Technika lens adaptor and am wondering about sticking a Linhof Wide Angle Focusing Device on the front but I don't know how much throw one of those has?

Or the Jin Finance Helicoil on eBay that is mounted on a Technika sized board... has anyone used those?

Or a broken 35mm SLR lens body?

What have you done that is known to work? Thanks

jb7
9-Jun-2012, 06:13
I've used a Zuiko 50mm lens for the donor helical-

The steps are in this thread-

http://www.photographyireland.net/point-and-shoot-project-t28210-45.html

Earlier in the same thread is a design for a focusing mount that will also allow some tilt and swing, but I don't think that's what you want-

David A. Goldfarb
9-Jun-2012, 08:09
I tried this with the Technika WA focusing device and it didn't work with the lenses I had at the time (probably tried it with 55/65/75/90mm), as I recall. I don't think I had my 47mm SA-XL at the time, which is on one of those Jin Finance helicals on a Technika board. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Frank Petronio
9-Jun-2012, 08:14
Yeah thanks David. I am kind of looking for the easy way out here ;-p I usually dread 47mm on 4x5 but it could be fun/novel for a spell.

David A. Goldfarb
9-Jun-2012, 08:22
I tried this with the Technika WA focusing device and it didn't work with the lenses I had at the time (probably tried it with 55/65/75/90mm), as I recall. I don't think I had my 47mm SA-XL at the time, which is on one of those Jin Finance helicals on a Technika board. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Nope, not enough flange-focal plane distance for that. It would need some kind of spacer. Better just to put it on my Tech V and use it that way.

cdholden
9-Jun-2012, 22:18
Give Steve Smith a prod and ask about his helical experience. I think he said he used an LF lens in an old MF helical lens mount for one of his projects.

sinhof
9-Jun-2012, 23:19
My "Handy" includes front of Norma, back of F, very short rail, cutted bellow, Hasselblad´s grip on the side, Linhof´s optical finder (Schneider), optics on usual lensboards, normally Topogon 60mm. Focusing with Norma´s knobs. No helicoil at all.

Steve Smith
10-Jun-2012, 01:09
Or a broken 35mm SLR lens body?

Give Steve Smith a prod and ask about his helical experience.

Look at my 6x12 camera link below. For a larger lens, an old Bronica ETRS or SQ lens would provide a suitable focusing mount.

Steve.

Bob Salomon
10-Jun-2012, 04:00
Rodenstock and Schneider make individual focusinh helicals for each of their 0 lenses that are in Copal/ Rodenstock eShutter or Schneider electronic shutter

Steve Smith
10-Jun-2012, 04:08
Rodenstock and Schneider make individual focusinh helicals for each of their 0 lenses that are in Copal/ Rodenstock eShutter or Schneider electronic shutter

They do but they're expensive.

Steve.

sumo
11-Jun-2012, 21:59
I think a Pentax 67 helical extension tube would be a useful option. But considering prices and availability, buying a 200mm lens for the same system and hacking it apart will probably cost less than the tube.