PDA

View Full Version : Storage life of exposed/undeveloped Velvia (6 years?!)

Kerey
8-Jun-2012, 21:07
Hello everyone-

I just discovered a box containing an unknown number of Velvia sheets exposed (I believe) back in 2006 (!) but not yet developed. They've been stored down in a chilly garage within a plastic storage tub but were otherwise unprotected. Is there any hope of developing these sheets into something useable? They're not priceless, but I would like to see them (at least a few should be sunset shots of Lamar Valley in YNP, back in the final weeks of my graduate work there... so valuable for sentimental reasons).

It's been quite a while since I've posted here... I replaced my LF gear for a Pentax digital kit several years ago. A big part of me misses this group and the craft of large format photography. I'm glad to see so many here are soldiering on!

Thanks for whatever info you can pass along.

Kerey

polyglot
8-Jun-2012, 21:35
Why don't you develop one and see how it comes out?

Kerey
8-Jun-2012, 21:54
Why don't you develop one and see how it comes out?

I'll need to send it out for processing via mail (Duggal etc.), so I'm hesitant to go through the motions if there's no hope. If I do, I plan to ask for a test sheet initially rather than the whole batch (as you suggest). I realize this is a perennial topic, but most users have treated their stock better than I have (refrigerator/freezer vs. garage), hence my post. If there's no real consensus, I suppose its worth the attempt!

Kerey

Brian C. Miller
8-Jun-2012, 22:26
Just do it. Seriously, just do it. Some films (Ilford Pan-F) lose the latent image fast, very fast. Others will hold that latent image for decades. So just send the film out, and see what happens.

jcoldslabs
8-Jun-2012, 22:32
I would expect some color shift and possible slight fogging, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I have had long forgotten exposures processed years after the fact with acceptable results. Not ideal, but I think you'll be fine with these.

I once processed some T-Max 4x5 FIFTEEN years after exposure (huge whoops!), and while the negs were a bit fogged and low in contrast, the images were there.

Jonathan

Kerey
9-Jun-2012, 15:02
Thank you all for your quick help (this group never fails to impress!). I also received a suggestion from Duggal to run an initial sheet with a one-step push. I'll repost with the results *crosses fingers*!

Kerey

lenser
9-Jun-2012, 16:41
I would have them processed, but if you are harboring doubts, why not call the lab you use and let the experts there advise you. Under the storage conditions you described, I would be more concerned with the possibility of mildew or mold rather than image latency. With luck, you just might get off Scott free with outstanding results. Even if you have some color shifts or contrast reduction, a little digital work should enable you to get them back to normal (as you remember it) colors.