PDA

View Full Version : horseman 6x9 back on sinar 4x5 (F1)

artyvisual
8-Jun-2012, 07:24
I am a bit confused here. I like to have a 6x9 rolfilm back on my sinar, and I can buy an nicely proced horseman back:
Like te one above.
But I read that (due to the spring holded focusglass) it will/can scratch the focus glass (it is to thick to insert like a cut film holder).
Anyone that knows this? (and yes,I know sinar makes nice rollfilm holders, but I can't find them decently priced)
Many thanks!

Drew Wiley
8-Jun-2012, 08:13
You have a standard back which has to be removed to insert this holder, then you clip
the Horseman in its place. Focus first and be careful not to disturb the camera when you
change the back. What I like to do is have a little length of nylon shock cord to suspend
the 4x5 groundglass when the Horseman back is in place, so I don't have to lay it somewhere where it might be dirty or broken. With a little practice it's no big deal. You might also want to make a cutout showing the 6x9 film position, or put lines on it with a
Sharpie pen, if the groundglass isn't already marked for the size reduction.

artyvisual
8-Jun-2012, 08:24
Thanks, I didn't realise you had to remove the groundglass. I thougt these horseman had some grafloch type of back that is not compatible with the sinar system. I would like to see a picture of your sollution of hanging(?) the back on a cord when you have the horseman in place. I hope you can upload a picture of this!

B.S.Kumar
8-Jun-2012, 09:44
The Horseman back is the Graflok type - which is compatible with Sinar, Horseman, Toyo and most other 4x5 cameras made in the last 40 or 50 years.

Kumar

Drew Wiley
8-Jun-2012, 15:27
You don't remove the groundlass per se, but the entire frame holding it. There are horizontal slider bars holding that whole assembly to the camera black, which in turn
clip the flat plate of the Horseman holder into position. You just have to be careful where
you place the original groundglass back while you take the shot, so it doesn't get damaged. Like I said earlier, I suspend it with a short cord, and this has worked fine even
in stormy conditions.