PDA

View Full Version : Process lenses for general use, good idea or not?

Ed Bray
6-Jun-2012, 14:06
Looking at a 360mm f9 Apo-Ronar in Compur 3 shutter.

Is this a good lens for general use?

I understand that it is very sharp at f22 and at a distance of about 2-3ft. Would it still be very sharp at infinity?

Dan Fromm
6-Jun-2012, 14:23
Yes. Yes.

Use the search function.

Ed Bray
7-Jun-2012, 00:12
Thanks for the reply.

I did use the search function for 'process lens' and got a whole heap of nothing relating to my question.

Old-N-Feeble
7-Jun-2012, 09:04
Search for "process nikkor", "artar" and "g claron" without the "quotes".

eduardtoader
10-Jun-2012, 15:20
Hello all. Please excuse me for the tangential question. If you kniw about another thrwad treating about, please link it here.

Last month I realized I would like to shot still life in studio. I' m looking for the best way to fire the flash sincronized with the uncovered lens. There is another way better than doing it in darkness, /fire the flash/ darkness/ cover the lens?

Wich is the best explanation for how to use a a Packard shutter?

Thanks to all.

hiend61
12-Jun-2012, 23:50
Yes, I have the same lens and works flawlessly at infinity at 22-32, like all my other Apo Ronars 240/9 and 480/9. At closer distances all of them are really superb. I find process lenses very versatile, but if you want the vey best for infinity (at a price) Apo Sironar S lenses are among the very best.

Lachlan 717
13-Jun-2012, 01:18
Hello all. Please excuse me for the tangential question. If you kniw about another thrwad treating about, please link it here.

Last month I realized I would like to shot still life in studio. I' m looking for the best way to fire the flash sincronized with the uncovered lens. There is another way better than doing it in darkness, /fire the flash/ darkness/ cover the lens?

Wich is the best explanation for how to use a a Packard shutter?

Thanks to all.

Have a look at Sinar shutters.

Ken Lee
13-Jun-2012, 04:47
You might find this short description to be helpful: Shooting Close With Macro and Process Lenses (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#Macro)

Jim Noel
13-Jun-2012, 06:55
For flash work you can always go back to the way I learned in the 1930's - Open Flash. In a darkened, or dimly lit room, uncover the lens, fire the flash, cover the lens.

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Jun-2012, 07:14
I use many different process lenses for all four of the formats that I shoot. They are great all around lenses. If I need to do a close up with the 14x17 I grab my 300mm Gerogon. By all means use them. Best part is you can find them cheap. I do not need a shutter most of the time and if I do I use my Packard.

Ed Bray
13-Jun-2012, 08:53
Thanks for all the responses folks, I am looking forward to using my lens.

E. von Hoegh
13-Jun-2012, 10:45
Thanks for all the responses folks, I am looking forward to using my lens.

Just keep in mind that process lenses have less coverage than normal taking lenses, also that the image circle specs are often for 1:1 ie lifesize reproduction.

Ed Bray
13-Jun-2012, 11:29
Just keep in mind that process lenses have less coverage than normal taking lenses, also that the image circle specs are often for 1:1 ie lifesize reproduction.

Thanks for the Heads Up, I'll bear that in mind.