PDA

View Full Version : Ilex Shutter or Luc type Shutter for my 19" Apo Artar

John Fink Jr.
6-Jun-2012, 13:06
I am looking to put a shutter on my 19" Goerz RD Apo Artar. I'm new to this and as I learn I realize there are a number of ways to accomplish this.
I realize that I get different speeds and setting or lack there of with the various shutters out there. My question is this.

Is an Ilex Universal #5 the easiest way to mount the lens using an adapter? Does this mean I am screwing the lens into the adapter and then it into the shutter?

Also, Is the LUC shutter (I believe I need a No. 6) as easy as the above only mounted on the front of the barrel of the lens (without the adapter)?

Anyone have either one:-)?

Thanks for your help and forgive the rudimentary questions.

cdholden
6-Jun-2012, 14:10
Some of later Red Dot versions were offered in barrel and Ilex #4 options, but I don't believe these will screw into just any Ilex 4. I have the Red Dot version in barrel. I know it's interchangeable with the elements from one that's already in Ilex #4. I have also noticed that it does not screw into other examples of Ilex #4 shutters I've had in the past. Some have paid to have these custom mounted into a Copal 3.
Packard shutters may be your least expensive option unless you have the machining tools and skills.

John Fink Jr.
7-Jun-2012, 08:15
SK Grimes suggests a Ilex #5 shutter. I know others have commented on having their's in a #4 as well.
My understanding is that the front threads on the shutter can then take a specifically made adapter screwed into the front with the lens in the front.
SK Grimes is putting my 14" into a copal 3 right now, so I'm trying to avoid another expense such as that with the 19".

cdholden
7-Jun-2012, 08:48
With the larger Ilex #5, it gives them more space to machine an adapter. An adapter removes the risk of damage. Fitting it into a #4 will probably require machining the lens itself.

c.d.ewen
7-Jun-2012, 10:02
Here's what a 19" RD Artar in an Ilex 5 looks like. I made the adapter; didn't have an Ilex 4. Plenty of room, as you can see.

Typical day in my life: a couple of weeks ago, I shot this lens vs a 480mm APO-Nikkor adapted to fit an Ilex 5, to decide which one to keep. I did a split 8x10, i.e., 4x10's top and bottom. Looking at the negative, I thought, "Something's not right here". Some dumb SOB had loaded the film into the holder upside down. Duh!

Charley

Carsten Wolff
8-Jun-2012, 05:36
I had mine front-mounted via a small adapter into an Alphax #5. That was a nice combination as well. It even squeezed onto a Linhof-style board.

John Fink Jr.
8-Jun-2012, 08:02
Thank you everyone for this information.
Charley the pictures are very helpful. Actually seeing this is great. (I hope you don't have too many days like that:-)

Now all I have to do is find a #5 Ilex Universal or Alphax.

John Fink Jr.
9-Jun-2012, 08:24
Does anyone have any sources other than ebay to squire these shutters?

Dan Fromm
9-Jun-2012, 09:53
http://lensn2shutter.com/shutters.html might have what you want. His site hasn't changed for years, what he now has and can do are both uncertain.

c.d.ewen
9-Jun-2012, 10:08
Does anyone have any sources other than ebay to squire these shutters?

One waits, side by side with others, for a 375mm Caltar in Ilex 5 to be offered on eBay, then one pays up. Occasionally, a random shutter only will apprear. Be aware that Kodak's version of the Ilex 5 has different threads than the 'regular' Ilex 5, but for your purposes, that may be irrelevant.

Charley

John Fink Jr.
10-Jun-2012, 08:02
Dan, Thank you very much for the link. How I didn't find this is strange:-) Much appreciated.
Charley, So true!!!! And thank you for that difference of size tidbit.

John

Carsten Wolff
11-Jun-2012, 07:22
Actually, I put mine into a #4 Alphax, not a #5. Here is a photo I took of it (in 2006, just before I sold it on):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37082363@N08/7361710320/
Apologies for the lapse in memory :)

John Fink Jr.
12-Jun-2012, 06:59
Thank you Carsten. That underwater checkers photo is very interesting. No floating pieces?

Carsten Wolff
12-Jun-2012, 12:35
Thank you Carsten. That underwater checkers photo is very interesting. No floating pieces?

Thanks, John, a bit off-topic now (wasn't even taken with my underwater 5x7", although perhaps I'll take it next time :) ); no, they obviously use well-weighted pieces and boards that are probably to be made from magnetite (fridge magnet material); there were also some chess players there...a somewhat weird, yet kinda Zen evening.....

PS The adapter I got made to stick that 19" Apo-Artar onto the Alphax #4 by a local fitter/turner was just a press-in ring made of Delrin, worked really well.

John Fink Jr.
13-Jun-2012, 08:15
Carsten, that si interesting info on the press-in ring. Is any of it threaded? I would imagine the ring's OD would be threaded?

Carsten Wolff
22-Jun-2012, 02:16
No, it wasn't threaded at all. I thought that it felt a bit dodgy when I first used it, but I had the lens for quite some time and the push-in fit on both sides was superb; I even hiked with it and hung a Lee filter system on it and in the end got used to it; i.e. never had any fear of loosing the lens; I also never had the actual need to take the lens out of that shutter once mounted. It was a very slim, recessed adapter, so image circle was preserved as well

John Fink Jr.
23-Jun-2012, 05:21
Carsten, sometimes it all just fits.

Best regards,
John