PDA

View Full Version : Ilfochrome paper question

Erik Larsen
6-Jun-2012, 10:02
Hi folks, I have some very old ilfochrome paper that I would like to use for carbon transfer support. I have some chemistry as well. What would be the easiest way to process the paper so I have a nice white piece of paper when I'm done? Thanks for any help.
Regards
Erik

Drew Wiley
6-Jun-2012, 10:08
You give it strong white light exposure and then fully process it. But then you will still have
a Ciba emulsion which is inherently a bit soft and fragile, so might be questionable for your
actual purpose.

Erik Larsen
6-Jun-2012, 11:00
Thanks Drew,
Do you know of a way to do it when I run out of my p30 chems? I have sulphuric and hydrochloric acid available to brew up a bleach if needed.

I think I can safely handle the emulsion as there is not much disturbance during the carbon transfer process. I think it might be a nice support for a high relief print.
Regards
Erik

Drew Wiley
6-Jun-2012, 12:57
p-3 pro chemistry is probably still available special order. Don't know if you'll get a residual
color cast from the paper being old, but you could just over-bleach to get this out. For
your use an ordinary strong b&w dev like Dektol might work. The fix was just non-hardening
ordinary Ilford fixer. Bleach is obviously the problem. It's mostly sulfuric acid, but with a
bunch of other nasty stuff in there too. You could order in just extra P3 bleach provided
you have a shipping location. P30 substituted sulfamic acid crystals, so was safer to ship.