PDA

View Full Version : Camera Lens as enlarging lens

Ironage
6-Jun-2012, 06:15
I don't think my enlarging lens will do a good job, and am contemplating using my 240 mm Schneider as an enlarging lens for my 5x7 Elmo. Should the results be acceptable for prints less than 11 x 14?

Old-N-Feeble
6-Jun-2012, 07:15
Why don't you think your EL will do a decent job vs. a camera lens?

Ironage
6-Jun-2012, 12:00
The lens is very old uncoated Kodak 6 3/8".

E. von Hoegh
6-Jun-2012, 12:11
Get a proper enlarging lens, they go cheap. You can also try the lens you have, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. I use an uncoated 4 3/8" Wollensak, and it's superb.

Old-N-Feeble
6-Jun-2012, 13:18
I agree with EvH on both points. BTW, a nice 210mm El Nikkor just sold today on the 'bay for $69... and it had the reversing rings so you can more easily use it as a LF macro lens.

IanG
6-Jun-2012, 13:59
There was a time when manufacturers recommeneded using their Tessar (type) camera lenses for enlargements from the same negatives, but that was 50+ years ago :D

As others have said good enlarger lenses are cheap secondhand and you would see a differance in quality. a modern 240mm Symmar would be awful as an enlarger lens, a 240mm Tessar/Xenar would be better but why compimise.

IAn

Ari
6-Jun-2012, 14:25
Yup, ELs are going for dirt cheap these days.
The only lens I saw capable of doing a superb job at both was the Fujinon 250mm f6.7
Should never have sold that lens...

Drew Wiley
6-Jun-2012, 16:00
Some apo process lenses will do an excellent job of both. But with barely used enlarging
lenses often going for 10% of their original purchase price, why fuss with it. They are made
to work at much faster apertures than process lenses.

chy
13-Jun-2012, 21:00
I was in a pinch once and used a 150 Symmar S to make an 8x10 from a 4x5 and I can tell you that I never tried to do it again. An enlarging lens is superior as taking lenses are not optimised for the close range from film to lens encountered in an enlarger. It's like taking a picture of a negative from a few inches away. I don't know how to explain the technical aspect, but taking lenses are not designed for optimal sharpness of a flat plane at that range.
You will be much happier with an enlarging lens.

dsphotog
22-Jun-2012, 09:21
The orig. literature says the Verito can be used as an enlarging lens.... Has anyone tried it? Gotta make a lensboard for it, one of these days.

Neal Chaves
29-Jun-2012, 15:58
I have used both a 355mm f9 G-Claron and the afore-mentioned 250mm f6.7 Fujinon W with superb results. Come to think of it, I used a 375mm f6.3 Caltar on my first enlarging/camera conversion and the results were excellent as well. Of course I have never enlarged 8X10 to over 20X24. Your results may differ.

Joseph O'Neil
1-Jul-2012, 07:36
Couple of thoughts. first off, yes, a camera lens can make a decent enlarging lens. Second, enlarging lenses can make decent camera lenses - I use a 180mm componon on my Crown Graphic. third, the point about enlarging lenses being widely available is a valid one. In today's climate, I would make my first choice to buy used. Lastly, personal opinion here, using a F9 lens on your enlarger will drive you nuts after a while, it's so dim to focus on a large print. Maybe not bad on a 8x10, but try using a F9 lens and focus on a 20x24 print - if you guys can do it, more power to you, but it's not my cup of tea.
:)