PDA

View Full Version : developing 8x10 film in drum. which is the best drum on the market ??

beegee
5-Jun-2012, 21:41
what would be the best practical drum (daylight) to develop 8x10" film? is there anything that would develop at least two 8x10 sheets at the time ?? thanks to you all !:)

John Kasaian
5-Jun-2012, 22:05
Check out the unicolor article by Graywolf Phillips on the LF Homepage on the blue banner at the top of this page. You can do the same with 8x10 sheets (its actually easier since you won't need clips to keep the sheets seperated--- the 8x10 film edges are held in place with the vees moulded into the drums interior) An 11x14 print (or paper) drum will handle two sheets of 8x10 (I've done it) but its a tight fit. Old Unicolor stuff is cheap(or was--its been awhile since i got my stuff) I find
using two 8x10 drums and two bases less stressful. The only thing to wear out are the seals on the drum lid, but you can make replacements or repair any leakers---instructions are posted in the forums---do a search:)
I've been using my Unicolor for about ten years now.
Once again you'll want the Unicolor drums for printing and the motor base. The Unicolor film drums are for developing roll film

Vaughn
5-Jun-2012, 22:22
The Jobo Expert Drum #3005 sure is nice -- five 8x10 or five 5x7 negatives at a time. Pricey, but worth it.

jcoldslabs
6-Jun-2012, 02:23
I use Cibachrome Mark II 8x10 drums for developing 8x10 film on a rotary base. These drums are the easiest to fill, use and clean afterwards. Disassembly is a breeze, and there are no seals to wear out. No issues with scratching or uneven development for me, either.

The best on the market, though? I think JOBO drums take that crown, if you have the cash to spend.

Jonathan

LF_rookie_to_be
6-Jun-2012, 05:55
Jobo 3004. My advice: try contacting members of various German forums. That's how I got mine.

beegee
7-Jun-2012, 21:41
thank you guys ! Boy, I went online I saw some of these used Jobos for about 600 bucks or so. is there any other alternative to these pricy Jobos ? I would need a drum for daylight processing ( at least two sheets at the time) without an electric rotary base. I used for years a Uncolor 20" to develop 12x20" , I guess these are cheap. I paid only $ 30 for it . thanks for your time !! beegee

John Kasaian
7-Jun-2012, 21:53
Unicolor---the poor man's Jobo! :) Before I got the Unicolor I tried a Dev-Tech and it was a bolo when it came to sheet film :(

Frank Petronio
7-Jun-2012, 22:04
An Aztek or ICG drum.

LF_rookie_to_be
8-Jun-2012, 13:02
German forums, seriously. Germany is loaded with 3004 drums sitting collecting dust. Granted, if you're in USA, shipping and maybe even customs might be steeper than what it cost to have mine shipped from southern Germany to Croatia, but it could still be well below 600$. Language skills help a lot, too. Comparing a 3004 to a 16x24 Unicolor print drum I had once... no comparison. Jobo is a joy. Good luck!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
8-Jun-2012, 13:11
They are not 100% daylight, but the BTZS 8x10 tubes (http://www.viewcamerastore.com/servlet/the-225/BTZS-Film-Tube-Cap/Detail) work well, however they are individual sheets. These are welding rod holders (http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0815303) so maybe you can find them locally.