PDA

View Full Version : I found a rentable darkroom in Atlanta

stradibarrius
4-Jun-2012, 12:39
I stumbled across this web site http://www.magicsilver.com/index.html and made a call to find out that They have a studio and a darkroom that can be rented. They also teach some darkroom classes!
For those of you in the Atlanta area that would like to process and print your own B&W but do not have the room here it is!

D. Bryant
4-Jun-2012, 14:24
I stumbled across this web site http://www.magicsilver.com/index.html and made a call to find out that They have a studio and a darkroom that can be rented. They also teach some darkroom classes!
For those of you in the Atlanta area that would like to process and print your own B&W but do not have the room here it is!

That's the Photography Center of Atlanta and is operated by Bill Gillespie.

Good luck.

Don Bryant

buggz
5-Jun-2012, 08:34
Meaning, good, or bad?
Experiences you can tell us about?
I too would LOVE to find a relatively cheap place to learn darkroom techniques.
I too am in the ATL area.
Yes, I have just started the interesting journey into film...

That's the Photography Center of Atlanta and is operated by Bill Gillespie.

Good luck.

Don Bryant

D. Bryant
5-Jun-2012, 14:27
Meaning, good, or bad?
Experiences you can tell us about?
I too would LOVE to find a relatively cheap place to learn darkroom techniques.
I too am in the ATL area.
Yes, I have just started the interesting journey into film...
Firstly, I would advise both of you to try and setup a home darkroom if at all possible even if you have to set it up and take it down each time you use it.

Secondly, darkroom rentals usually are less than desirable. I know nothing about Bill's darkroom rentals though I do know Bill.

Finally, darkroom equipment is so inexpensive these days that start up cost can't be a reason not to have your own darkroom.

buggz
5-Jun-2012, 18:57
Yes, I want to set my own space up as well.
But, I'd like to learn from someone who knows what they are doing to get me started.

Firstly, I would advise both of you to try and setup a home darkroom if at all possible even if you have to set it up and take it down each time you use it.

Secondly, darkroom rentals usually are less than desirable. I know nothing about Bill's darkroom rentals though I do know Bill.

Finally, darkroom equipment is so inexpensive these days that start up cost can't be a reason not to have your own darkroom.

D. Bryant
5-Jun-2012, 20:02
Yes, I want to set my own space up as well.
But, I'd like to learn from someone who knows what they are doing to get me started.

A copy of David Vestal's darkroom handbook is highly recommended. If you want to take darkroom classes consider the Spruill Community Art center. They have a great darkroom with excellent enlargers.

stradibarrius
6-Jun-2012, 05:55
buggz, I haven't rented any darkroom time from them I have my own set up but would have rented from them when I was trying to get started. If you want to take a darkroom class there is one at the Spruill Arts Center in Dunwoody. It is taught by Ann Clancy and I have taken that class. It is a 6 week class and it was $185 and well worth the money and time.

bob carnie
6-Jun-2012, 06:09
I have heard lots of good things about Ann over the years..

It looks promising that I am going to be in Atlanta in August for four or five days .... daytime is tied up but evenings are free , is their anything interesting happening then or great places to eat ... I am afraid of Zombies so no areas where they are still roaming please.

I am looking to go to a place where you Southerners consider the best for Southern cooking.

buggz, I haven't rented any darkroom time from them I have my own set up but would have rented from them when I was trying to get started. If you want to take a darkroom class there is one at the Spruill Arts Center in Dunwoody. It is taught by Ann Clancy and I have taken that class. It is a 6 week class and it was $185 and well worth the money and time.

cdholden
6-Jun-2012, 06:39
If you have any interest at all in aquatic life, make it a point to visit the aquarium downtown. The way they move people in and out of the exhibits and building leaves something to be desired, but as a (former) scuba diver, I was impressed with my visit there.
Other than that, downtown on a weekend is chaos. I can't offer much more because I don't know Atlanta well. :)
On one of my two trips to Atlanta, I got to meet Ann. I bought some equipment from her and got to see their darkroom. If you're on the fence about calling to see what they offer, it might help you to know that she's versed in alternative printing methods too. They were doing some Vandyke prints when I was there.

Chris

buggz
6-Jun-2012, 09:55
Thanks to everyone for all the great information.
I will call Ann next month for certain, this month is tied up.

As for southern eats in Atlanta, I really can't say for Atlanta, as I do not know Atlanta that great, I hardly go there, even though I'm only 20 miles away.
Oh, there is The Varsity, off of I-75.
Shrug, not southern, just an Atlanta "landmark"?
Chilly, cheese, slaw dog, and onion rings. A peach pie, and an orange shake.

Sadly, I have yet to go to the Georgia Aquarium, I hear it is world class though.

Ed, I don't get out much, sigh...

Bob Salomon
6-Jun-2012, 12:06
Check out Mammy's Shanty. Went there when my wife and I were at Emory in the early 60's, went there when my daughter and my son graduated Emory in the 89's and it was a landmark before we ever got to Atlanta.

Try the Royal Peacock on "sweet Auborn" if you want a taste of music history, among others Little Richard started there.

JWebb
6-Jun-2012, 16:08
For great food just north of Atlanta try Greenwoods on Green street in Roswell. Fried chicken was wonderful and the slice of apple pie fed 4 people without a problem. Aquarium is nice but try to make it early in the morning and you can spend as much time as you wish and not feel rushed.

Gary Beasley
6-Jun-2012, 17:48
Across the street from Greenwoods is Swallow in the Hollow, as good a barbeque place as any. Also look up the Marietta Fish Market and Cherokee Cattle company on Canton Road about a mile from each other.

Bob Salomon
7-Jun-2012, 04:05
Blue Ribbon Diner