PDA

View Full Version : development problem??

stradibarrius
4-Jun-2012, 10:53
I am fairly new at LF but have several years experience processing my own B&W film. Today I hve an unusual problem.
4x5 Tri-X 320, shot at 160. Tanked developed in 4x5rack. I used Rodinal 1/100 stand develop for 1 hour. stopped then fixed for 8 min.
The negatives still have what appears some of the emulsion on them. The image is there, sharp and visable. On the non-emulsion side the image looks like a dense negative.

I still have a few more shots to process but I wanted to quiz the minds here as to what you think might be the problem??? Fixer???

Jay DeFehr
4-Jun-2012, 11:21
Fixer

E. von Hoegh
4-Jun-2012, 11:21
Insufficient fixing.

stradibarrius
4-Jun-2012, 11:56
After they have been exposed to light, can the negatives be re-fixed with fresh fixer?

Ed Bray
4-Jun-2012, 12:17
Yes, the sooner the better, then rewash and hang to dry.

stradibarrius
4-Jun-2012, 12:23
Thanks, I have them in a try of fixer now. I'm afraid the whole gallon I made up has gone bad. It is only about 1 month old.

Doremus Scudder
5-Jun-2012, 01:25
Thanks, I have them in a try of fixer now. I'm afraid the whole gallon I made up has gone bad. It is only about 1 month old.

Barry,

Do a clip test before every batch to see if your fixer is working properly. Mix a fresh working solution, take a strip from a scrap sheet of film, put a drop of fixer on it, wait 30 seconds, then immerse the whole thing in the fix and agitate till the clear area where the drop was and the surrounding are indistinguishable. Note the time: write it down somewhere to use as a reference.

Then, before every batch, repeat your test. When the clearing time reaches 2x that in fresh fix, toss the fixer and replace. Then you'll know if your fixer is bad before you start.

And, I assume you are using powdered standard fixer, that's the only reason to make up a gallon at a time for film. Unfortunately, a month is about its predicted lifespan. If you want to be more efficient, buy a liquid concentrate rapid fix and mix what you need at the time of developing. The concentrate lasts much longer (a couple of years unopened, 6 months or longer once opened and partially full).

Best,

Doremus

stradibarrius
5-Jun-2012, 05:48
Thanks Doremus. I really like your website, your work is something I really enjoy.

stradibarrius
5-Jun-2012, 06:56
This is one of the shots that didn't "fix" all the way. It did scan to my surprise.