PDA

View Full Version : Grandagon 90mm f:6.8 and Center filter Schneider Kreuznach III

Nooky41
4-Jun-2012, 04:44
Hi,

Is is possible to use the center filter Schneider Kreuznach III on a Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm F:6.8 to avoid the falloff of illumination towards the corners ?

Is is really necessary with black and white shootings ?

Thanks for your answers

Nooky41

Jim Andrada
5-Jun-2012, 09:56
Depends on a) one's definition of "really necessary", and b) the format you're trying to cover, and c) what you're shooting.

A lot of times a bit of fall off at the edges is nice, though. I think if you're using 90m on a 4 x 5 with the lens reasonably centered you can probably forget about the center filter but if you were using a lot of movement then it might be more objectionable because the fall off would not be symmetrical in the corners. But if the only thing in the corners were the sky or some tree leaves again it might not be so apparent. If there were a lot of detail distributed across the image, maybe the fall off would bother you more.

If you were using it to cover 5 x 7 maybe you might not like it all that much. I use a 159mm Wollensak on 8 x 10 and like it just fine for most things whether color or B&W. Maybe it's the fact that it's so "unnaturally wide" that some fall off is somehow acceptable as part of the perceived effect.

Best advice is try it without and see how you like it before spending the $$$$$.

Leonard Evens
5-Jun-2012, 11:25
I sometimes use a center filter with my Grandagon N 90 mm f/6.8, particularly if I use extensive movements, but for most shots I don't need it. On the other hand, I always use the center filter with my Grandagon N 75 mm f/4.5 lens. Fortunately the same center filter works for both.

I believe I have a Rodenstock Center filter, but I don't know if it makes any difference.

Brian K
5-Jun-2012, 12:59
If you shot and enlarge B&W then most likely you won't need a center filter because the light fall of of the enlarging lens will even out the light fall off of the 90mm taking camera lens. If you shoot color then the center filter will be more needed.