PDA

View Full Version : 100TMAX

Rob Tucher
29-Jan-2004, 10:37
I checked the archives and I haven't seen anything that approximates my bad vibes and level of problems with Kodak 100TMAX. This means it might be me, or it might be that people have just adjusted to it and moved on. I see a lot of questions concerning Kodak and its future. This question is preceded by one asking about film and Kodak. But I'm specifically concerned about loss of quality at Kodak in the face of falling profits and strategies for competing.

Specifically I've noticed a marked decline in the quality of 100 TMAX as measured against the old TMAX 100. I use it in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. First, its speed has diminished quite a bit. I shoot it at 40 and it isn't quite what I'm used to. It also does not seem to have the same response to contrast manipulation...it is flatter than the older version by a noticeable degree, even though I process at a higher temperature and for longer (based on same contrast realities).

Plus the base curls readily...AWAY from the emulsion, which is rare, and the edges of the film, to me, seem as though cut with a guillotine instead of a fine film cutter. So what gives? I've been told by a man who has an Ilford franchise that Kodak is now having 100TMAX made in China and has experienced start-up problems and quality control issues but are stonewalling complaints. Considering my source I am willing to give some credit to Kodak and take this with a grain of salt but not much. I'm on the verge of switching to FP4+ and doing all my numbers again, especially because the recommendations in with the film say 100TMAX is not significantly different and I blew a whole day's shooting by blindly trusting. What experiences have you people had?

kthompson
29-Jan-2004, 11:11
I haven't really noticed a change at all switching from the older emulsion over to the new. I was a little worried at first--having used TMX in 4x5 for almost 10 yrs in my job. We shoot several cases a year of it where I work and had the times worked out for our deeptank & for the studio to the point where we could practically shoot it all day without thinking about it. We had 2 cases of the old stuff in the fridge, and when that ran out switched mid-shooting to the new case and really all that changed was to drop the normal dev time down a minute. Which is *perfect* for me for batch processing anyways. It means I can run almost all the types of film we shoot at the same time now. The film feels a bit stiffer--might be my imagination?--but I haven't noticed anything like you've mentioned. Dries flat, lays flat--consistent product. I've shot close to half a case of 4x5 in the new emulsion and it looks pretty much like the old one.

fwiw--I run it 6' 75 deg F in a large tankline of t-max rs replenished. The EI is based at 100, proofed at type 55 p/n minus a half stop. It's geared to Provia 100F as well, proofed same way. the 55 is exposed for the highlights and candled for the shadows. as always: my opinions only/not my employers.

MIke Sherck
29-Jan-2004, 14:13
I tray process in T-Max RS and haven't noticed any change, other than the shorter developing time.

Mike S.

Rob Tucher
29-Jan-2004, 15:58
Maybe I have a bad batch. In particular the 5x7 (I bought 10 boxes of 50 sheets, same emulsion) is a problem. I went through 5 boxes and shelved it. My 4x5s are not perfect but they are usable, and I haven't tried the 100TMAX 8x10 in anyway but Kodak recommendations. I shoot modified zone, TMAX RS developer as a one shot (mixing Part B right into the bottle and using that as stock), and I've been getting negatives that you can do your bedtime reading through even after tweeking temperature and time. The old emulsion was perfect with my numbers, running in silutions of 1:4, anywhere from 5 minutes to 13 minutes. Everything is as I've always done it, but I've tried other bottles of chemistry, and went back to some old stock of TMAX 100. It's the film, but what it is I do not know.

Tom Westbrook
30-Jan-2004, 04:23
Call Kodak and tell them what's happenning, since it seems like a defect. They should at least replace all of the film with new stuff from another lot and let you try that. They may want some samples, but sounds like you have some left.

Pete Caluori
31-Jan-2004, 09:33
Greetings,

I agree with Tom, give Kodak a call, or drop them an e-mail/letter. TMax is a good film and I haven't seen any of the problems you're talking about. I did have a problem with older ReadyLoads; a problem with the adhesive that attaches the film to the plastic tabs. I contacted Kodak and they identified the problem, more than replaced my film and corrected it. Good luck!

Regards, Pete

Armin Seeholzer
8-Feb-2004, 06:05
I just had also getting into troubles with a new batch of TMAX 100! Till now I have developed about 40 sheets of one packige and have about 4-5 sheets with blank dots from 1/4mm up to 1mm. Otherwise the film is fine but I don't like it to get blank parts on film! If I could get the new Fuji Acros here in Swiss in 4x5 sheets I would switch to it! Kodak has not only shearholder problems, they start getting more into quality control troubles and then less people buy there products and all gets down!!!