PDA

View Full Version : Schneider - Kreuznach Super Angulon 165/8 from 1967. - front lens group

Damil Kalogjera
1-Jun-2012, 03:24
Hi everybody,
I have to reach compur on SA 165/8 lens;
rear lens element was easy to unscrew, but I have a problem
doing the same operation on front lens element, it simply does not
let me to unscrew it.
Any trick or experience concerning to my problem ?
Thanks folks,
Damil Kalogjera

John Schneider
1-Jun-2012, 10:11
Use a strap wrench.

Henry Paine Camera Repair
1-Jun-2012, 11:30
I have worked on one of these lenses in the past, and if I remember correctly, the front lens unit cannot be unscrewed like the rear one. Using a spanner wrench, unscrew the front lens group, then down inside there should be some screws holding the remainder of the front cell. Hope this helps.

Henry Paine Camera Repair

neil poulsen
3-Jun-2012, 11:45
Use a strap wrench.

Great idea! I have an enlarging lens that has a similar problem. I'll give this a try.

Damil Kalogjera
15-Oct-2012, 00:17
Henry, thanks for an advice. I have tried together with my repair meister, but it seems that it won`t work - we have to use too much force. As I live in Croatia, Germany is quite close so I will probably have to ask the lens factory service what would be repair cost.
Regards,
Damil Kalogjera

Michael Jones
15-Oct-2012, 10:20
TIME OUT!

Unless you are actually removing the elements from the barrel, you are looking for damage. The front barrel assembly is held in place with hidden set screws. Trying to unseat or remove the barrel from the shutter will chip the edges of the rear of the front lens group. It takes a special tool to disassemble this lens. Schneider can do this, and overhaul the rather delicate shutter as well, for a reasonable cost.

Good luck.

Mike

cyberjunkie
15-Oct-2012, 15:35
It takes a special tool to disassemble this lens. Schneider can do this, and overhaul the rather delicate shutter as well, for a reasonable cost.

Hi Mike.
Are you absolutely sure?
Never did it on my own, as my 121mm Super Angulon works very well, but i was told that those particular shutters can be accessed by removing the beauty ring of the lens, taking out the front glass, and then accessing a couple of setting screws. That should allow to remove the front cell from the shutter.
The back cell can be unscrewed like in other standard shutters.
AFAIK (third party infos..) the only thing that needs some (much?) care is the reassembly of the glass elements.
Probably Schneider technicians use a special tool to ensure proper alignment, and in the end they can check the result with an optical bench.
I had the chance to buy a bench "base" on Ebay. Basically you need a precision rotating clamp, a 3 euros laser light, and a screen.
If the projected light of the laser doesn't change position when you rotate the optical axis, then the lens is aligned.
A side note: in the sixties some lenses were still cemented and aligned "by hand", not to mention the countless very desiderable (and still very sharp) lenses which were assembled and built that way since the early days of photography.
A trained eye can be very good at spotting small misalignments. Small surface defects can be even felt with the tongue (a trick used by some old time machinists).
Wide angles are more sensitive to improper reassembly, but there are MANY Super Angulons which were completely dismantled and reassembled "by hand" by a competent technician, and they are still working in an impeccable way!
I'd be more concerned about early Angulons with "slipped" elements.

I repeat, i have no personal experience with non standard Compurs with "integral" front cell (early 121mm and 165mm Super Angulons), and i am reporting what i was told, but i would be happy to learn what's the truth.

One more thing. I am not sure that Schneider assistance would overhaul the lens "for a reasonable cost".
With the current prices of f/8 wide angles made in the sixties, it's very easy to spend money that will not be recovered, if you happen to sell the lens.
Looking at the same thing from a different perspective, it's easy to sell the present lens as-is, buy a perfectly working example (without hurry!), and still save some money.
This is the standard rule. With a 165mm SA in very good shape, it COULD make sense to have it fixed at the factory.
With my 121mm SA, it would be totally crazy, i purchased it from a pro for 150 euros. Any expense over €50 wouldn't make any sense.