PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify (and complete) this lens:

Jody_S
31-May-2012, 19:40
I think it's an early B&L Zeiss Protar. Covers 8x10 with movements as-is, reasonably sharp. I think it's about 8" for the single element, but I didn't measure.

I would like to reunite this lens with it's missing front element, so if anyone has it send me a message and we'll see what can be done (buy/sell/trade).

Jody_S
31-May-2012, 19:45
Last photo: 74542

Sample photo with full rear swing on Deardorff V8, paper negative: 74543

goamules
31-May-2012, 20:05
Bausch and Lomb always had their Protars labeled, each element and the barrel.

Steven Tribe
1-Jun-2012, 00:41
This looks like a series V protar (90-110 degree wide angle) or the very similar design series IV (80-100 degree).
Diameter of the lens in the rear element is ? And the text on tis element?
These lens are not symmetrical.

Jody_S
2-Jun-2012, 09:24
This looks like a series V protar (90-110 degree wide angle) or the very similar design series IV (80-100 degree).
Diameter of the lens in the rear element is ? And the text on tis element?
These lens are not symmetrical.

There is no text at all on any part of this lens/barrel. I assumed whatever identification there once was was engraved on the missing front element.

Dimensions:
Rear element (cemented in): 18.8mm -visible front of element; 14.9mm opening in retaining lip
Rear element threads: measured at 37.2mm

Threads in barrel for front group: 51.3mm

All of these measured with a digital caliper

I was hoping someone would recognize the workmanship on the brass parts of this, which is of exceptional craftsmanship. The lens came to me, according to the seller anyway, from the liquidation of an American collector's estate. I purchased a couple of other items which seem to be Zeiss designs mounted by hand in machined barrels. I also considered the possibility it was an early Darlot "Wide Angle Hemispherique" imported to the US by BF & Co?

E. von Hoegh
2-Jun-2012, 09:26
What is the construction of the existing element? I'm thinking wide-angle rectilinear.

Jody_S
2-Jun-2012, 09:35
What is the construction of the existing element? I'm thinking wide-angle rectilinear.

Yes, I think. The curvature of the element is actually slightly greater than much later wides I have from Cooke, etc. But it's not a 'globe' type curvature, though I have no way to measure this. To form a sphere, the front element would have to be about 1" in front of the end of the barrel.

The other possibility, from what few online photos I can find, is a Voigtlander "Steinheil's Periskop" missing the entire front hood into which the front element is screwed. The hood assembly also has the engraving from Voigtlander, and the lower lip on the barrel has the same knurling as mine.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/brass-lenses-various-632-c-4f87694828

Jody_S
2-Jun-2012, 09:51
Only 2 reflections, somewhat different curvature front and back. Diagram STE003 in VM.

Steven Tribe
2-Jun-2012, 13:35
Sounds like a good piece of reasoning - IF it is a single meniscus lens!
And anyway, why should a collector keep the remains of a "common" wide angled lens, unless he knew it was different - part of wide angled lens design's history?
The single meniscus at the rear can be used alone.

Jody_S
2-Jun-2012, 14:35
Well I'm not entirely displeased if that's what this is. For around $32 IIRC, I have an historic lens that can be used as a wide landscape meniscus, from a famous manufacturer, that covers 8x10 or more. And I have something to spend the rest of my days hunting down.

I took a couple of 4x5 shots a few weeks ago, I do seem to recall that the 'wide open' shots were quite soft compared to those I got after I made my f64 waterhouse stop. I should experiment with portraits on the 4x5, see what it looks like.