PDA

View Full Version : Home-made rail clamp for B&J Grover?

Ari
30-May-2012, 08:29
Hi,
I am asking on behalf of a friend who is having a devil of a time finding a rail clamp for his B&J Grover.
Has anyone here managed to make a home-made version of the rail clamp?
Or do you have any ideas I can pass along?

Thanks in advance.

Tracy Storer
30-May-2012, 09:02
Maybe buy one of these and start welding. It will be cheaper probably than machining from scratch.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-bore-collars/=hre5sk

Ari
31-May-2012, 07:10
Thank you, Tracy, I'll pass that along.

cdholden
31-May-2012, 16:31
Sell it for parts and buy a SINAR. :)

pasiasty
1-Jun-2012, 03:09
I've recently solved the similar issue with my Cambo SC using Manfrotto Superclamp 035. It holds like hell :)

Ari
1-Jun-2012, 11:29
I've recently solved the similar issue with my Cambo SC using Manfrotto Superclamp 035. It holds like hell :)

Hey, that's a pretty good solution; does the clamp ever get in the way of normal operations?
Thanks

pasiasty
1-Jun-2012, 16:24
Hey, that's a pretty good solution; does the clamp ever get in the way of normal operations?
Thanks
Well, so far it fits the needs; for short lenses I must clamp the rail from outside, rather than between standards, but I guess I'd have to even with original part.

Tracy Storer
1-Jun-2012, 17:22
If a Superclamp will hold the rail with the camera upright, it's a great solution. I assumed it's a hexagonal rail and might want to roll. (the body of a Superclamp has a 90 deg angle, set at 45 deg to the mounting surface)
TRY IT !

Ari
1-Jun-2012, 18:18
Well, so far it fits the needs; for short lenses I must clamp the rail from outside, rather than between standards, but I guess I'd have to even with original part.

If a Superclamp will hold the rail with the camera upright, it's a great solution. I assumed it's a hexagonal rail and might want to roll. (the body of a Superclamp has a 90 deg angle, set at 45 deg to the mounting surface)
TRY IT !

Thanks to you both; it sounds like a great solution, until the actual part is found.
I will pass this on to my friend directly.

Darren Kruger
1-Jun-2012, 19:27
I have a Grover and super clamp and decided to try it out. Seems to work fine. The angles of the rail don't quite line up with the super clamp but I was able to tighten it down enough to hold it pretty steady. I would definitely use a level after setting up to make sure the camera was level.

-Darren

Ari
2-Jun-2012, 04:24
Thanks for the photos, Darren.

Ari
18-Jun-2012, 11:26
My friend is still looking; it's a hard item to find.
Thanks for any help.