PDA

View Full Version : Have a Linhof Munchen --made in Germany with a Rodenstock Lens--need value estimate

bluegreen
29-May-2012, 16:32
I've had a Linhof Munchen for about ten years in very good condition with a Rodenstock 4.5 - 32 lens. Great lens and wonderful mechanics. Cannot locate any others to compare value. Can anyone estimate value of this 4 X 5 track camera?

Bob Salomon
29-May-2012, 16:35
What is the serial number of the camera. Is the lens the Gandagon 90mm?

bluegreen
30-May-2012, 03:28
Bob,

This camera has a 135 mm Rodenstock lens and I've looked at the camera and cannot find a serial number. Where would it normally be found? I'm attaching a few images for reference.

Thanks,
Donna

Bob Salomon
30-May-2012, 04:09
It is either on the shoe on top of the camera once you slide the finder site off or on a plate on the bed of the camera.

You should also specify what lens it is. So far we know it was made by Rodenstock and is in a Compur shutter and was originally sold by Graflex.

IanG
30-May-2012, 04:24
The lens is an f4.5 135mm Ysarex these were sold by Graflex. You can see the start of the name in the first photo.

Ian

Bob Salomon
30-May-2012, 04:57
Ian,

You know that and I know that but if he is selling the lens then everyone should know that. And a modern 4.5 Rodenstock for a 45 would be a Grandagon-N which is a very different animal, so I find his listing very misleading.

IanG
30-May-2012, 05:23
The value in the US is also quite a lot lower than if the camera's in the UK/EU so a location would be useful. This is true for most cameras and lenses but particularly LF.

Ian

Old-N-Feeble
30-May-2012, 08:20
It's not a "listing" yet. It's just a question regarding value.:)

E. von Hoegh
30-May-2012, 08:57
It's not a "listing" yet. It's just a question regarding value.:)

Oh, it's a listing all right. Disguised as a request for an appraisal. The OP joined up just to find a value for a very common Linhof "Munchen" (Munich) that he couldn't find info for anyplace else.....

Old-N-Feeble
30-May-2012, 09:22
I try not to jump to conclusions. I'm not saying you're hunch isn't correct... just that it's not giving the OP the benefit of a doubt. BTW, I am guilty of conclusion-jumping. I did that very recently right here on this forum... something about a manufacturer warranty issue.:)

E. von Hoegh
30-May-2012, 09:27
I try not to jump to conclusions. I'm not saying you're hunch isn't correct... just that it's not giving the OP the benefit of a doubt.:)

This isn't a hunch.

The OP "cannot locate any others to compare value" - this can be true only if he didn't try. He's had it "about ten years" FFS.

It's good to keep an open mind. Just don't let your brain fall out.

Old-N-Feeble
30-May-2012, 09:34
Too late... my brain fell out a long time ago and it's been rotting ever since, LOL!!

IanG
30-May-2012, 09:50
Old-N-Feeble makes a good point and we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Donna (bluegreen) the OP has asked here on this website which most of us would think an appropriate place as it's dedicvated to LF photography..

Bear in mind that even Bob Salomon won't guess what model this one is without knowing the serial number, and there' s a few variations around the approx date this camera was made.

Unlike Graflex and MPP cameras there's no dedicated owners/collectors etc Linhof sites to help anyone determine which model and variation their camera is. The official Linhof site does have a little model history but it's nowhere near as detailed as the many online references for Graflex, MPP Rollei, Leica and many other cameras cameras.

Ian

E. von Hoegh
30-May-2012, 09:56
Old-N-Feeble makes a good point and we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Donna (bluegreen) the OP has asked here on this website which most of us would think an appropriate place as it's dedicvated to LF photography..

Bear in mind that even Bob Salomon won't guess what model this one is without knowing the serial number, and there' s a few variations around the approx date this camera was made.

Unlike Graflex and MPP cameras there's no dedicated owners/collectors etc Linhof sites to help anyone determine which model and variation their camera is. The official Linhof site does have a little model history but it's nowhere near as detailed as the many online references for Graflex, MPP Rollei, Leica and many other cameras cameras.

Ian

O-n-F is indeed correct.
But if the OP asked "How can I ascertain a value for this equipment" I'd have a lot more confidence.
If you google "Linhof Technika" you will find a huge amount of information on the Technika III series including the variants.. Just a short jump from there to value.

I didn't know this forum was in the business of appraisals, which is what the OP asked for.

Old-N-Feeble
30-May-2012, 10:01
I remember asking for pricing help on this forum not long ago regarding a tiny Cooke wide-angle lens. I never intended and didn't sell it in that thread. In fact, I've never advertised it and still have it. If I do advertise it I'll list it in the appropriate Classified ads section. I was extremely new here at the time (I still am, I know) and don't recall anyone stating that I was doing anything underhandedly. I very much appreciated that.

Bob Salomon
30-May-2012, 13:03
I don't think that she has a III. I think this is a war time or pre war model.

E. von Hoegh
30-May-2012, 13:15
I don't think that she has a III. I think this is a war time or pre war model.

1939 Linhof brochure PDF.http://www.linhof.de/download/Linhof_Prospekt_1939.pdf

I thought it was an early three. The wartime models were more like the one in the brochure.

Bob Salomon
30-May-2012, 13:32
Have asked her for the initials on the back. If it is the Reich initials or the Deutsch initials will tell if it is pre or post or war time vintage. Late model Medzins look like a white IV.

bluegreen
31-May-2012, 03:50
Guys,

I can put the concerns to rest. I was given this camera 10 years ago to use on architectural shoots. The person who gave it to me was an architect from Europe. I have an MFA in Photo from RIT and work as an advertising photographer. Unlike many of you, I am not into the details of equipment. I know good optics and camera mechanics and chose my equipment carefully but not names nor technical details enough to date a camera like this. I've had this camera for a long time and want to know more about it and what it's worth. Down the road, I may sell it but I've held onto it because it has value to me.

I thought this site was a source of information. One of the reasons, I keep my attention on capturing good images is because the obsession with technical aspects of equipment doesn't make for good photography. It's also a great way to keep women out of the field of professional photography and I've seen enough of that in my 20 plus years of shooting and as a member of ASMP which is now, finally, taking women seriously in this field.

Thanks to those on this site who are open to sharing information. To those who assume they're being used or deceived by someone who needs information or who couch sexism behind a conversation on an old camera, that's a terrible waste of knowledge and turns photographers like me off to further discussion. Open your minds and hearts to the possibilities of honest discussion

Donna

Bob Salomon
31-May-2012, 05:48
Donna,

As you are in Honolulu you must know Neil at Kaimuka Camera. He can probably give you a value. If not, if they are still around, ask at Lighthouse.

Brian Ellis
31-May-2012, 05:58
Oh, it's a listing all right. Disguised as a request for an appraisal. The OP joined up just to find a value for a very common Linhof "Munchen" (Munich) that he couldn't find info for anyplace else.....

"He" appears to be a she.

Old-N-Feeble
31-May-2012, 06:53
Hey Donna,

Most of us guys are assumers. It's in our nature... we can't help it. TG the female of our species are so forgiving. ;)

Mike

E. von Hoegh
31-May-2012, 07:00
There's also the fact that it's not unheard of for someone to ask for an appraisal in the camera or lens threads as a way of sidestepping the 30 day waiting period to access the for sale forum. "Need value estimate" in the thread title is kind of a red flag.

Old-N-Feeble
31-May-2012, 07:41
It may be a Red Flag but it's not proof. I'm too often not, by any means, precise and/or politically correct with my words and I have many times unjustly hinted at, sometimes strongly so, others' intentions not necessarily being noble. I recognize my errors and am striving to improve my actions. It's not easy to change at my age, especially after being cheated as often and as painfully as I have, but I'm trying.

I think the best thing, if we wish to watch out for one another, is to privately PM other members who hint that they may want to buy something not listed in the Classified Ads with a non-accusatory luke-warm warning.

E. von Hoegh
31-May-2012, 08:14
That's OK. I'm done with the topic, way too much in addition to the value of a camera going on here. I'll stick to my opinion, at least I can defend it without bringing sexism and obsession into the thread.

Old-N-Feeble
31-May-2012, 08:27
I'm not sure how to reply to that but I'm trying to be more positive with my posts here on the forum. If I somehow offended you, EvH, I'm sorry. It wasn't the OP who went off topic regarding value of their camera.

BrianShaw
31-May-2012, 08:29
I like the phrase "couch sexism" (ref. post 19). I've never heard it expressed that way and it seems to make sense to me. WRT Linhofs, I know nothing. Sorry.