PDA

View Full Version : renting from cl

chij
29-May-2012, 16:00
would you rent camera equipment from someone off of craigslist
found someone who'll take cash on pickup for the rental and a copy of my driver's licence and credit card for deposit
i've given my driver's licence and credit card for rentals at a camera store but i've never rented someone's personal equipment before

Leigh
29-May-2012, 16:14
Run, don't walk, away from that deal and don't ever look back.

It's a scam. You'll find your credit card charged to the limit within 24 hours.

And the gear is probably stolen.

- Leigh

chij
29-May-2012, 16:30
here's the ad
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/pho/3031286232.html

and here's the owner
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/mariosoriano

kurtdriver
29-May-2012, 17:51
Assuming that's really him, he seems legit. If you do give him a photocopy of your credit card make it just the front.

You might get a pay ahead card, (I don't know what to call them). Money Mart and the like have them. Their real cards, but the credit limit is whatever you'd paid in advance.

Leigh
29-May-2012, 17:55
You might get a pay ahead card, (I don't know what to call them).
In the US they're called "pre-paid debit cards". Not sure about Canada.

- Leigh

kurtdriver
29-May-2012, 17:59
Thanks, Pre-paid credit cards, I think we'd call them,visa and mastercard have them, they work wherever those cards are accepted.

Old-N-Feeble
29-May-2012, 18:39
1. I'd never let an individual have a copy of my CC nor give him a good pre-paid debit card anymore than I'd trust him with cash.

2. I don't see how a copy of a pre-paid debit card gives the renter any security because, unless the card left in his hands and verified, the holder can just spend it empty and the renter has no way to collect.

3. If that really is his equipment and it's in good working order then he's a fool.

4. This is a really really bad idea for both parties, IMHO, but I'm not very trustful of others... been burned... burned... burned... and burned again.

joselsgil
29-May-2012, 18:54
Lets assume that he is legit and everything goes as agreed upon.

After you return the rental items, he makes the claim that you mis-used, abused, or broke a part of the equipment. How is this claim going to be verified and amicably resolved?

That is why I would stick to a legit rental outfit. Someone that has been around for a while.

What ever you do, cover your ASSet.

kurtdriver
29-May-2012, 19:31
On second thought, the two posters above are right, too many things can go wrong. Beau photo, and Leo's each rent equipment, lenses, strobes, etc.

brucetaylor
30-May-2012, 01:04
A lot of people rent their personal cinema gear here in LA, I see lots of ads on CL. I rented gear out of my garage for several years, 35mm mopic cameras, lenses, support gear-- though I didn't advertise on CL. I required my renters have equipment and liability insurance, which I carried as well, they signed a standard rental contract, left a cc for deposit (debit cards, prepaid cards not accepted) and a DL. Most renters took excellent care of my gear, because they knew it was my personal stuff. Once a camera was dropped requiring a $1500 repair, insurance cut me a check and I hit the renters AMX card for the deductible. I know it sounds nutty at first, but it is not uncommon here particularly for specialty gear.