PDA

View Full Version : Value of a big E. Francais ?

Maxepyan
29-May-2012, 15:17
Hi all. I'm pretty new to Very large format, and have acquired a 20x20 inch camera that is begging for a nice lens. I was offered an E. Francais (lens diameter 16cm / flange dia 22cm / Hight 37cm / approx. f: 5.5 / weight 6,5 Kg )
The focus nob is gone. Does anyone know this lens, and what would be the value of this thing.
Thanks for your feedback and information !!!
(Other fast lenses on offer are welcome.)

Steven Tribe
30-May-2012, 04:00
The value is what you are willing to pay for it!

Francais made many types of lenses.

However this sounds like a giant petzval which will probably cover as you describe. A missing focus knob will have no real influence on value/use.

A 20x20 camera sounds a bit odd!

alex from holland
30-May-2012, 10:26
The value is what you are willing to pay for it!

Francais made many types of lenses.

However this sounds like a giant petzval which will probably cover as you describe. A missing focus knob will have no real influence on value/use.

A 20x20 camera sounds a bit odd!

Steven, thats not so odd. I have one myself...

Steven Tribe
30-May-2012, 11:15
Is this a 40x50cm camera which has a GG of 50cm square which can take a 50cmx50cm plate or what?
I thought 20x24" was "the thing" for extreme ULF.

alex from holland
30-May-2012, 11:50
Steven, its a custom made 20x20" wet plate camera. Love square format...
Here you go : http://vimeo.com/32511988

cdholden
30-May-2012, 14:28
Alex,
I instantly thought of you when I saw the OP.
I'm happy to hear there is another, and not just the same camera changing hands. My squares can't even compare. They're only 6cm. :)
Chris

alex from holland
30-May-2012, 15:06
Chris,

Actually two of them were made last year.
I must say, 20 x 20" is impressive but tonight i ordered a large print behind plexiglass for my next exhibition. Size 40 x 50"
Printed from a scna of a aprox 8 x 10" plate. Can't wait to see the result....
so 6 x 6" can give you an impressive enlargement also

Alex

Maxepyan
31-May-2012, 00:11
Thanks for all your feedback. The seller (Alex) withdrew his offer to sell. So, disregard my post/question. Kind regards !

eddie
31-May-2012, 02:06
Thanks for all your feedback. The seller (Alex) withdrew his offer to sell. So, disregard my post/question. Kind regards !

That was fast.

Steven Tribe
31-May-2012, 05:19
Oh, this is a very incestuous thread! Some private sphere things should remain undisclosed.
Glad I didn't put a value on it.

eddie
4-Jun-2012, 00:35
Oh, this is a very incestuous thread! Some private sphere things should remain undisclosed.
Glad I didn't put a value on it.

Yup. IMO putting a value on something shoild be left t the sellers and buyers. The "peanut factory" tends to muck up the works .....as it seems to have done here.et the buyer do their own research. Everyone knows ebay and google.