PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Query -Which Berlebach?

sahaworkid
28-May-2012, 14:40
Hi all,

I am fairly new to large format and had a query regarding which tripod to buy. I have been using a Crown Graphic on a basic vivitar for some time now and its a bit of a pain. I recently purchased a Shen Hao and have decided to get a new tripod to go with it. I really like the look of the Berlebach tripods and as I am not going to be doing a whole lot of walking, I think I can take the weight. I am also on a bit of a budget. My question is, which one should I get:

The 1002 (Cheapest of the lot) (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=260&sprache=english)

The 2022 (This is almost as cheap as the 1002 but has a center column - is this useful?) (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=275&sprache=english)

The 8033 (This is just about within my budget but the leg has 3 elements compared to the 2022) (http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=produkte)

Also, I have been given a Manfrotto 141 head and really don't want to purchase a new one. Is this adequate for the shen hao (which I am yet to receive, so cant try it out)?

Many thanks in advance.

Rahul

Michael E
28-May-2012, 16:04
Rahul, I have worked with Berlebach tripods for over 20 years now - they are great! Looking at the models you picked, I noticed a wide range of maximum extensions. Some require you to work on your knees. Only 2022 is high enough to work in eye height. Forget the other two. They are smaller for transportation, but hardly usable for LF work.

The Manfrotto 141 head should work fine with either a Crown Graphic or a 4x5" Shen Hao.

Michael

sahaworkid
28-May-2012, 16:14
Rahul, I have worked with Berlebach tripods for over 20 years now - they are great! Looking at the models you picked, I noticed a wide range of maximum extensions. Some require you to work on your knees. Only 2022 is high enough to work in eye height. Forget the other two. They are smaller for transportation, but hardly usable for LF work.

The Manfrotto 141 head should work fine with either a Crown Graphic or a 4x5" Shen Hao.

Michael

Thanks Michael. That's really helpful. Just to clarify, are you saying that the 2022 would be a good choice for the Shen Hao or should I forget about a Berlebach in my price range? I should mention, I am fairly short, about 5 feet, 5 inches.

Thanks again,
Rahul

Michael E
28-May-2012, 17:14
I don't know your price range or every model Berlebach offers. In my experience, a Berlebach Report tripod is very well suited for a 4x5" field camera. In fact, I put my 8x10" 2D on mine. Just make sure that the height of the tripod lets you work comfortably. The 1002 has a maximum height of only 35". Try shooting portraits from down there... Or architecture...

I have three Berlebachs, most of the time I use the 8023.

Michael

TheDeardorffGuy
29-May-2012, 16:24
I have two tripods that I really like. One is a Crown #4 It is light, solid and will hold anything up to my 12x20.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4069.m570.l1313&_nkw=crown+tripod+%234&_sacat=0 I use it without a tilt top. The other is a Berlebach Private Labled called a Berlin Master. Bromwell Marketing imported them in the 90s. It is a large tripod. It is a brute and the quality is perfect.

lbenac
29-May-2012, 17:33
I totally agree. I had the shorter report 2012 and got a 3012. I am 6' and the squating on the shorter tripod make for less enjoyable shooting.

I don't know your price range or every model Berlebach offers. In my experience, a Berlebach Report tripod is very well suited for a 4x5" field camera. In fact, I put my 8x10" 2D on mine. Just make sure that the height of the tripod lets you work comfortably. The 1002 has a maximum height of only 35". Try shooting portraits from down there... Or architecture...

I have three Berlebachs, most of the time I use the 8023.

Michael

Drew Bedo
31-May-2012, 17:14
I don't know all the models and their features. I bought one used, that is labled "Original BBerelebach". The legs have three sections and it seems to stand up about right for me. I am about 5'8" and I put a little Wista 4x5 on it, sometimes my Kodak 2-D 8x10, but that seems less solid.

This model has a leveling center post. For most of my work this post has enough range of motion that I often leave off any ball head . . .which saves some weight.

I like my Berlebach, it works for me.

Michael Nagl
5-Jun-2012, 02:29
Hi Rahul,

Wolf tripods, allegedly equal in quality to the Berlebachs, may be a bit cheaper and are available with quick/flip (or however you may call them) locks. Check: http://www.holzstative.de/Produkte.html, website is even more stone-agey than Berlebach's (which touches me) and - alas - exclusively in German.

Michael E
5-Jun-2012, 03:50
I bought one used, that is labled "Original BBerelebach".

If that is the label, you bought a fake Berlebach!

jk0592
5-Jun-2012, 13:31
For the Wolf tripods, the english website is at http://www.wooden-tripods.com/index.html .

Bob Salomon
5-Jun-2012, 13:44
Drew,

Some history,

Berlebach has been making tripods since 1898. They are located in Mulda which is in the former East Germany.

During the cold war era Berlebach tripods sold in the USA were imported under the Berlebach name, the Rollei name, the Billingham name and probably some other names as well.

After re-unification the current owners of the factory invested in new tools for the tripods and the older tools went to a company called Wolf.

The reason the owners invested in new tools was that the old tools were wearing out and they could not maintain quality.

So something called "Original" may not necessarily be desirable!

And don't forget, Berlebach tripods have a 10 year warranty!

Sylvester Graham
8-Jul-2012, 22:10
Does berlbach ship pods to the US from that site?

mdm
8-Jul-2012, 23:54
I expect they do, they ship to New Zealand from their .de site. You will get a discount for German VAT and the shipping by DHL is very reasonable.

TheDeardorffGuy
9-Jul-2012, 19:38
A friend has a WOLF tripod. It is very well made. No evidence of worn out tooling. Those guys make some fine measuring instruments. I doubt they'd make a junky tripod.

Alan Gales
9-Jul-2012, 20:30
I have dealt with Berlebach's customer service department. Not only do they make a fine product they are an excellent company to deal with. Good people!

Emmanuel BIGLER
10-Jul-2012, 01:28
Berlebach tripods have a 10 year warranty!

Hence, I'm a bit worried, since I acquired a used one 8 years ago ;)

I would have preferred that a product made using a serious communist tradition be guaranteed until Capitalism will self-collapse under its internal contradictions ;)

Not kidding, 8 years ago I bought to a good friend a Berlebach tripod Nr. 8013 which I regularly mention here. The product is perfect to me. This 8013 tripod has the option with the 3/8" - 16 screw which I recommend to LF users, since most tripod heads actually have a "big" 3/8" screw, not the small 1/4"-20.
(a serious LF user will, on the contrary, insist on never using 1/4" screws, this is for small format cameras only, another world ;))

The Berlebach 8013 has the big knurled knob to firmly secure the head, and has no centerpost.
I've never missed the fact that I have no centerpost. Hence simply take a tripod model which is high enough to suit your taste. Since I'm routinely using a binocular viewer, I cannot use a high tripod together with this accessory. Hence the 127 cm-high model Nr. 8013 is perfect to me.

If I had to buy a new Berlabach, I would have a look at the models with a built-in sphere. With a LF camera, this sphere looks perfect for levelling the head. Actually I have a ballhed with a panoramic movement on top, hence I have no longer any needs for any levelling system in the tripod itself : I simply unfold the tripod, do not spend much time to level it, the ballhead with panoramic movement on top acts as the final levelling device. Levelling the Berlebach legs is easy, in fact with the 3-section model I have, I can simply let the legs (the small sections close to ground) fall under their own weight and tighten. I've seen once a Manfrotto metallic tripod where a clamp operated by a single lever will release the 3 legs at the same time, they fall under their own weigth, hence you can level the tripod instantly on any uneven ground like the steps of a church for a wedding shot ;-)

Model 8013 can easily support a MF camera or a lighweight 4x5" camera. Load capacity of the 8013 is 10 kg, 22 lbs.
If you need a stronger tripod, you have the choice ... look at the "UNI" series and you'll probably find something that will never collapse, unlike capitalism ;)

LaurentB
11-Jul-2012, 04:35
I'd agree with Emmanuel, the 'lack' of a post is not a problem in LF. I own a 8033 (leveling head, no center post) and it's perfect for my 4x5 Tachihara.

I added a pano head on mine, so if I was to buy a Berlebach again (may not be too soon, they are made to last), it would be a 8033/P (integrated pano head)

Ironage
11-Jul-2012, 06:07
I have the 8023 and could not imagine being able to use something shorter and without a center column.