PDA

View Full Version : Phenidone in Alcohol?

Shen45
25-May-2012, 17:03
Using a gram of Phenidone in 100 ml of Alcohol is a very convenient way of storing Phenidone but does anyone know what the shelf life of this mixture is likely to be? Tightly capped brown bottles.

Jay DeFehr
25-May-2012, 18:10
I recommend propylene glycol -- it will last a very long time/ a year, or more.

Shen45
25-May-2012, 19:20
Thanks for the answer Jay but it doesn't answer my query. I've already had a mixture of phenidone/alcohol in my darkroom for 12 months and there appears to be no losses I can notice. If it has a much longer life I will consider mixing a litre and just putting on the shelf until it is required. Does phenidone mix readily with Glycol?

Thanks -- Steve

J. Fada
26-May-2012, 02:01
Steve, I have mixed Phenidone with Propylene Glycol and it lasted a long time. I couldn't give you specifics but it was at least a year. I would store it in glass or PETE containers if you are concerned with longevity.

Shen45
26-May-2012, 06:46
Supplementary question: Any idea on the shelf life of Phenidone as the powder form?

desertrat
26-May-2012, 08:59
I have one data point on the shelf life of dry phenidone. I bought some from Artcraft about 7 years ago, and it's still good. I recently started using Gainer's original PC-sodium carbonate formula, double strength for developing prints, and it works well although prints develop slower than with D-72.

When I first got the phenidone 7 years ago, I mixed some up in 100 ml isopropanol and used it a few times. I don't remember the exact nature of the bottle it was stored in. About a year later, I noticed the mixture had turned yellow and threw it out. A little less than a year ago, I mixed up another small batch of phenidone in 100 ml denatured alcohol and stored it in a clear flint glass bottle with a polyseal bakelite screw cap. This has developed a very slight yellow tint, but still works fine, as far as I can tell.

Shen45
26-May-2012, 18:06
Great information, thank you.