PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out uneven development in PS.

false_Aesthetic
24-May-2012, 13:04
Hey,

I have a sky shows some signs of uneven development.

Anyone have suggestions as to how to fix it?

Brian Ellis
24-May-2012, 14:04
One method I sometimes use is to select the area that shows uneven development or the effects of using a polarizer (usually the sky), click the color picker on the darkest part of the sky (the right-hand edge of the sky in your photograph) so that its color becomes the foreground color, then click on the gradient tool, set it to "foreground to transparent," and drag it from the far left edge of the sky (in your photograph) to somewhere around the middle of the sky. If you don't like the result delete it and do it again, ending the gradient at a different point in the sky until you have done the best you can do at balancing the left and right sides. Hold the shift key down while dragging to make sure you drag in a straight line.

This doesn't necessarily make things look perfect but it usually improves them to a point where the difference between the left and right sides is much less noticeable. There's another way of doing this that involves use of the Gradient Editor but I don't remember all the steps involved in doing that and I don't have my notes handy. And I'm sure there are still other ways that I don't know about or don't use.

Kirk Gittings
24-May-2012, 14:06
a solid color gradient overlay of the sky-same color set to about 50-75% opacity may help.

false_Aesthetic
24-May-2012, 14:17
Thanks guys.

My first solution was Dupe Sky --> Filter>Average --> Blending Mode>Overlay --> Adj layer (to bring it around)

I'll try the other suggestions as well.

Peter De Smidt
24-May-2012, 15:41
Another thing you can do is to create a new layer. Change it's blending mode to luminosity. Pick a dark gray color and paint over areas you want to darken using a soft brush at a very low opacity. When your are done, you can adjust the layer's opacity as needed, as well as click it on and off to see the effect.

John Rodriguez
24-May-2012, 22:11
Maybe try using Darken mode with the averaged sky layer?

Henry Larson
25-May-2012, 14:22
I need more specifics.
I see dots on the mountain.
What do you see in the sky?
I may be able to help

John Rodriguez
1-Jun-2012, 21:29
I just thought of this while working on one of my images. Works fairly well, you may want to give it a shot.

- Create two copies of your background image, set them to be the only visible layers
- Invert the top layer, and set to luminosity mode
- Merge visible layers
- Make the background visible again. Set the new layer you created to luminosity mode. Adjust to taste using opacity and masking.