PDA

View Full Version : Old Film Types

Pawlowski6132
24-May-2012, 10:33
By any chance, does anyone know which of these Eastman Kodak films, if any, resembles HP5 400 the most?

Super-Sensitive Panchromatic
Super Speed Portrait
Portrait Panchromatic Panatomic
Ortho Press
Commercial Ortho
Par Speed Portrait

By resembles, I mean, in terms of similar development temp/time for a certain developer. Or, in other words, for a particular developer, I know the temp/time for each of these films. I want to extrapolate to HP5.

Thanx

SpeedGraphicMan
24-May-2012, 13:17
Efke would be a better bet than HP5

Very few emulsions back then were faster than 200 ASA.

Plus the films of yesteryear had more silver than todays "hybrids".

Try some Efke 100... Just my $0.02 :cool:

Pawlowski6132
24-May-2012, 13:21
Efke would be a better bet than HP5

Thanx for the reply. At this point, I'm invested in HP5.

If I can't find any informatin to help me correlate HP5 to any of these films, I'll have to burn a few sheets for trial and error.

There's probably a more scientific sentimetric way to do this, to find a temp/time to develop to a gamma of 1.0 but...my head hurts even thinking about it.

SpeedGraphicMan
24-May-2012, 13:26
Getting HP5 to a Gamma of 1.0 would depend upon which developer is used, and time/temp.

Personally... Trying to get any film to gamma blah-blah-blah is rather pointless really.

What exactly is your goal?

I assume you are trying to get a "old fashioned" look in your films?

Pawlowski6132
24-May-2012, 13:28
Getting HP5 to a Gamma of 1.0 would depend upon which developer is used, and time/temp.

Bingo.

I want to find the correct (or at least close) time/temp for an Amidol formula I have.

I have the correct time/temp for the above films.

SpeedGraphicMan
24-May-2012, 13:33
Check an old Photo-Lab-Index.

If you haven't got one I can check mine when I get home.

I don't know that Amidol will quite get you what you want... Maybe not with HP5.

You might want to try a developer that will give you more contrast, sharper/more defined grain.

Pawlowski6132
24-May-2012, 13:42
Thanx very much. I appreicate it.

I'm not looking for a particular look. It's just that I have about 8lbs of Amidol I'm trying to use.

I'm more curious than anything. I don't mind experimenting but, would like to not have to burn through more film that I have to in the process.

thanx again.

Check an old Photo-Lab-Index.

If you haven't got one I can check mine when I get home.

I don't know that Amidol will quite get you what you want... Maybe not with HP5.

You might want to try a developer that will give you more contrast, sharper/more defined grain.

SpeedGraphicMan
24-May-2012, 13:45
Do you have a Photo-Lab-Index?

It has a ton of Amidol formulas inside.

Let me know... If you don't I can copy and send the various formulas to you

Pawlowski6132
24-May-2012, 13:46
Do you have a Photo-Lab-Index?

It has a ton of Amidol formulas inside.

Let me know... If you don't I can copy and send the various formulas to you

Actually, I don't.

That's very kind of you.

thanx!!!

SpeedGraphicMan
24-May-2012, 13:50
Ok... I will check what I have and get back to you over the weekend.

Could you PM me your e-mail and I will get them to you soon.

I have been collecting formulas over this past year in the hopes of building a website to help keep all the rapidly disappearing
formulas around for all to see.

I have many old books full of weird and wonderful things!?

Pawlowski6132
24-May-2012, 13:52
Will do.

BTW, here some text and the formula that I'm referencing.

It's from 1938 (http://johnesimmons.com/2008/09/03/amidol-as-a-film-developer/).

Ok... I will check what I have and get back to you over the weekend.

Could you PM me your e-mail and I will get them to you soon.

I have been collecting formulas over this past year in the hopes of building a website to help keep all the rapidly disappearing
formulas around for all to see.

I have many old books full of weird and wonderful things!?

MDR
25-May-2012, 04:33
Pawlowski maybe you should sacrifice a few sheets of HP5 and develop it in the formula you want with different times. Or you can desensitize the film to red light and watch it beeing developed. Relevant info for desensitizing http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?35417-Desensitizing-Film

Again another option would be the pyrodol formula http://pyrodol.blogspot.com/ (Already posted it in you thread on apug)

Dominik

Jim Noel
25-May-2012, 09:01
By any chance, does anyone know which of these Eastman Kodak films, if any, resembles HP5 400 the most?

Super-Sensitive Panchromatic
Super Speed Portrait
Portrait Panchromatic Panatomic
Ortho Press
Commercial Ortho
Par Speed Portrait

By resembles, I mean, in terms of similar development temp/time for a certain developer. Or, in other words, for a particular developer, I know the temp/time for each of these films. I want to extrapolate to HP5.

Thanx
I don't know in what way you want the film to resemble HP5. None of them have the same or a similar film curve. Neither will they compare in speed. Ortho press and Commercial Ortho are obviously Orthochromatic, not panchromatic. POrtrait Panchromatic Panatomic had a speed equivalent to ISO 25, if I remember correctly.

You need to choose a developer with which you feel comfortable and make some simple tests for film speed and development. FIlm speed wil vary according to developer and dilution. Development time is dependent on how you intend to use the negative.