PDA

View Full Version : How I made a set of Bellows

Steve Smith
24-May-2012, 06:43
I have already posted this on Facebook and APUG but here is a link documenting my method of turning an old changing bag into a set of bellows.

http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/bellows.html

Please feel free to point and laugh and tell me what I did wrong or post your own hints and tips on bellows making.

Steve.

LF4Fun
24-May-2012, 07:35
Thank you Steve. That's neat.
if only if I could get my hand on a laser cutter :)

ghostcount
24-May-2012, 07:40
Cool! Any plans on selling laser cut stiffners?

Steve Smith
24-May-2012, 07:51
Any plans on selling laser cut stiffners?

None at all!

I could cut you some and send them loose but I don't think I could post an 18" x 30" sheet!

Steve.

LF4Fun
24-May-2012, 08:12
you could use one of these cardboard mailing tubes (http://www.packagingsupplies.com/mailing-tubes.html).
it would be sweet if I could get some stiffeners for my Burke & James

Steve Smith
24-May-2012, 08:21
Another postage method would be to cut it into four pieces and incorporate jigsaw puzzle style joining features to line it all up again. I did this with my first trial piece which I had to take home on the bus.

Steve.

ghostcount
24-May-2012, 08:29
So.... Yes? ;)

My 5x7 Korona could use new ones.

brchambe
24-May-2012, 09:56
Steve, that is very cool. I do like the "lomo" set of bellows as well.

Steve Smith
24-May-2012, 10:04
So.... Yes?

So yes... I will give you all the advice you need to make your own replacement bellows!

Steve.

sully75
24-May-2012, 13:19
I like it! In my very limited experience, bellows fold a bit better if there are points on all the stifeners, not like the square ones you have made there (so all the points kind of interlock without touching each other). That said your folds look superb, so what do I know.

Great job!

Paul

Michael E
24-May-2012, 15:56
How thick are your new bellows? When I built mine, they were always too thick and the camera would not fold up.

Michael

Steve Smith
24-May-2012, 22:42
About 15mm not extended. Much flatter than I was expecting.

It's all down to the cloth you use. Changing bags are made from very thin material.

Steve.

Steve Smith
24-May-2012, 22:45
I like it! In my very limited experience, bellows fold a bit better if there are points on all the stifeners, not like the square ones you have made there (so all the points kind of interlock without touching each other). That said your folds look superb, so what do I know.

If you have folds in all positions then they are twice as thick in the corners. I had a cunning plan and put corners on all of the forward facing stiffeners on one of my trial pieces but then it was difficult to fold a corner over in order to line up the edge at the last stage. The way I laid it out as shown allows the bellows to fold up easily for the final sticking down of the edge.

I would like to find a way to do it like that though, perhaps with some sort of jig, as it would be better once folded up.

Steve.

zenny
28-May-2012, 13:09
@Steve: very neat job! Thanks for sharing!

pbryld
28-May-2012, 13:57
Amazing! You could make a business with this I'm sure.

Marc B.
29-May-2012, 02:12
Please feel free to point and laugh...
Steve,
Not at all! Great job, and an excellent re-purposing for source of material.
If only my changing bag was a bit larger, I might try to make bellows for my 10 X 8.
I will probably go with bellows made by some neighbors on your side of the pond; 'Custom Bellows UK.'

Marc

Steve Smith
29-May-2012, 02:56
I will probably go with bellows made by some neighbors on your side of the pond; 'Custom Bellows UK.'

I don't know how much they charge... but it's worth every penny!

Steve.