PDA

View Full Version : Film cleaner to remove Photo-flo spots from C-41 negative?

Jay Decker
21-May-2012, 21:01
Developed my first batch of C-41 film yesterday. I put too much Photo-flo in the stabilizer and the negatives have spots on them. I need a film cleaner to remove the spots on the negatives. What would you recommend for film cleaner to remove the spots of Photo-flo residue?

tgtaylor
21-May-2012, 21:30
I use Edwal Anti-Static Film Cleaner. A little expensive ($12.43 + tax) for 4 fl ozs but does what it's supposed to do. Use with Pec*Pad Non-Abrasive Wipes.

Thomas

polyglot
22-May-2012, 01:24
It would be better to re-wash in stabiliser. If you clean with film-cleaner, you are likely to remove the stabiliser and therefore degrade the longevity of the film.

PS don't put PhotoFlo in stabiliser; it already contains surfactants.

Jay Decker
22-May-2012, 07:01
It would be better to re-wash in stabiliser. If you clean with film-cleaner, you are likely to remove the stabiliser and therefore degrade the longevity of the film.

PS don't put PhotoFlo in stabiliser; it already contains surfactants.

An interesting note that I should have included in my original post is that the residue spots are only on the non-emulsion side of the film.

Since you brought up the stabilizer and surfactant, does anyone know if the Tetenal C-41 Press Kit stabilizer has surfactant in it? A review on the B&H web site (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109267-REG/Tetenal_T109306_C_41_Press_Kit_for.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK#inpage:Shipping+:++$) says that you need to add some Photo-flo to avoid water spots.

polyglot
22-May-2012, 07:11
Eh, Tetenal I don't know about. The Fuji is plenty soapy.

SpeedGraphicMan
24-May-2012, 14:06
Carbon-Tech is illegal in most states now.

You don't need to use photo-flo with c-41

The Stab bath takes care of that.

Jim Noel
25-May-2012, 09:18
Carbon-Tech is illegal in most states now.

You don't need to use photo-flo with c-41

The Stab bath takes care of that.
Do you mean Carbon Tetrachloride, usually called carbon tet?
Don't use Photo-flo with anything and you will eliminate many headaches. Edwal's LFN is a lot safer to use as it does not become a catalyst as Photo-Flo does when it gets on reels.

Kevin Crisp
25-May-2012, 09:22
Another vote for the Edwal product. Seems like the spots are always on the non-emulsion side.

SpeedGraphicMan
29-May-2012, 13:35
Did I say Carbon Tech???

Silly me... Must be all them Caffenol fumes I have been inhaling recently