PDA

View Full Version : Tripod head for Toyo 810 - sinar pan tilt or ...?

ambroz
19-May-2012, 06:33
I am new to 8x10. I have a heavy 8x10 camera (Toyo 810M), 7 kg. I'm working with 300 and 600mm lens. I'd like to have as sturdy as possible platform. Now I screw the camera directly to the tripod plate of my old Manfrotto, but I need something like pan tilt head.

Is Sinar pan tilt head strong enough for this camera?

Another option is Ries (double) tilt head, but it doesn't have pan.

I was also looking at Gitzo low profile head G1570. It is specified for 10 kg, is it enough?

Are there any other solid and not too heavy solutions? What would you reccomend? I am not fan of ballheads.

Ambroz

Michael Kadillak
19-May-2012, 07:36
I have the identical camera and Bogen 410 tripod and use the 229 Super Pro with the quick release plate and it does the job exceptionally well. The for and aft visual bubble levels along with the the stability it is just great. Right now it is on sale at B&H. I had to look at the model because I have the older 3039 model but they are the same unit.

Peter De Smidt
19-May-2012, 07:36
I'm a big fan of the Sinar head with Sinar cameras, but in this instance, I'd go with the G1570. I have an earlier version which I've used with 8x10 cameras. It worked fine.

Ari
19-May-2012, 09:59
I use the Manfrotto 229 Super Pro head for my 8x10. I found an old stock 4x4 inch (100x100mm) Manfrotto plate that supports the camera better than the hexagon plate. The head is very sturdy and holds the camera rock steady.

+1

I have the identical camera and Bogen 410 tripod and use the 229 Super Pro with the quick release plate and it does the job exceptionally well. The for and aft visual bubble levels along with the the stability it is just great. Right now it is on sale at B&H. I had to look at the model because I have the older 3039 model but they are the same unit.

+1

I use the 229 with the large 4" plate for my Toyo 810G, which is heavier than the M, at around 9kg.

Michael Kadillak
19-May-2012, 10:49
+1

+1

I use the 229 with the large 4" plate for my Toyo 810G, which is heavier than the M, at around 9kg.

Is there a larger plate that can be utilized with this head? Please tell me more as I am interested in this option.....

Ari
19-May-2012, 12:16
Afaik, the 4" plate with hex attachment is the largest that will fit the 229 head.
They are no longer made, so finding one may take some time.

Michael Kadillak
19-May-2012, 15:27
I, to have the 4 inch plate. I was lucky enough to find one in a store as NOS, but I keep an eye put on ebay for a second one. I like that it gives a larger support platform for the camera without the need for an adapter to the head. It was called the 030L (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554277-REG/Manfrotto_030L_030L_Large_4x4_Square.html) plate.

What a shame that they have been discontinued. I could use one and never knew that this accessory existed until now.

civich
19-May-2012, 16:22

But it does!

Mike Bates
20-May-2012, 10:18
I recently picked up the Bogen/Manfrotto 4" plate from Samy's Camera in LA. It was $30 + $6 shipping. I may have got their last one. It was NOS and the packaging was very shopworn, but the contents were perfect.

That plate only fits Bogen/Manfrotto heads that use the hex plate. It won't fit the smaller heads, but you wouldn't need it for those applications anyway. The 4" plate comes with both the 3/8" and 1/4" center attachment screws. I use it with a 3039 head (older version of the 229) and it's rock solid for field cameras with a wide, flat mounting location.

I don't know if you can find them anywhere at their original ~$30 price, but at $45 or so one would be a worthwhile upgrade if you're using a large Bogen/Manfrotto head.

Louis Pacilla
20-May-2012, 11:14

But it does!

I believe this is only true when using it in unison with Ries tripods. You need the release knob under the crown of a Ries tripod to facilitates the pan action with a Ries Head.

If the Ries Double Tilt Head is used on say a Gitzo 401 w/ a non spinning center column. Well, your out of luck as far as Panning goes w/ a Ries Single or Double Tilt Head.

Peter De Smidt
20-May-2012, 11:58
I'm not a fan of quick release plates, especially of the Manfrotto variety, with 8x10 field cameras.

Mike Bates
20-May-2012, 12:07
I'm not a fan of quick release plates, especially of the Manfrotto variety, with 8x10 field cameras.

Would you tell us more about your concerns?

Are you referring to the Manfrotto six-sided hex plates or the smaller rectangular plates?

It is important to make sure they are not only closed, but locked with a camera mounted.

Peter De Smidt
20-May-2012, 12:58
I have Manfrotto heads that use the hex plates, and I also have a 410 geared head. I don't really like their quick releases for any format. First, the plates are bulky. Compare them, for example, to a Really Right Stuff dedicated camera plate. Second, unless you tighten them down with a lot of force, the camera can spin on the plate. Third, using the quick plate isn't as precise or secure as I'd like. You have to angle the head to push down a pin. Then you have to seat the plate in the clamp and tighten the lever. Most of the time it works ok, but occasionally it doesn't, and that can be harder to see or detect with a big camera making the plate hard to see.

With a 8x10 flatbed camera, I prefer to use two tripod screws mounted on the camera. These get slid into the slot of a Gitzo 5 series pan/tilt head. When you tighten both with moderate finger pressure, the camera will not rotate. Plus there's nothing that needs to be kept on the camera, and watching the tripod screws slide into the slot is very clear and easy to see. The only requirement is that you have two tripod mounting screws on the bottom of your camera which are spaced appropriately.

Mike Bates
20-May-2012, 13:36
I agree that I don't like to use a lot of force when tightening the attachment screw of the mounting plate. I use the 4" square Manfrotto plate and the large tightening knob can exert considerable force. I don't want to pull the 3/8" connector out of the bottom of my camera. It could probably do it.

The 4" plate has more surface area than the hex plates. I try to keep the rubber clean and it does a good job of "gripping" the bottom of my camera without going all he-man on the tightening screw. I haven't had any issues with the camera twisting or turning on the plate, but I don't hang it at extreme odd angles or anything. I'm also a fairly deliberate worker with an 8x10 camera compared to the sometimes frenetic pace of a digital SLR on a monopod.

The two-screw solution is better for resisting the twisting forces. I like the ReallyRightStuff two-screw plate, but most of the heads that can accept that are quite expensive and I very much like the Bogen/Manfrotto 3039/229 head I already have.

timparkin
20-May-2012, 14:51
I use a BH55 ballhead which holds the camera very well - I know you don't like ball heads but I thought I'd mention this

I have tried various ways of getting my 810M to be stable including attaching the camera directly to the tripod base and directly via a levelling base. Regardless of attachment, there was still movement in the camera and my final conclusion was that you are better off carrying two tripods than trying to get a single tripod to work. I've started researching using a 'magic arm' but my second tripod only weight a couple of hundred grams more (velbon sherpa CF plus acratech head) and I imagine I could get a CF monopod that would be even better. At a push I've used my walking sticks which have held the camera more stable than my experiments with a 5 series tripod and direct attachment (i.e. no head). It's the flex in the camera that is the issue, especially when using longer lenses (I use my 1200mm occasionally but have used the 600/800 quite a lot)

Tim

ambroz
21-May-2012, 01:28
Yes, I was also thinking about Manfrotto Magic Arm.

I'll probably choose Gitzo 1570 over Manfrotto 229. I have a Manfrotto 3-way head (141RC) for 35mm, similar to 229 but smaller. When I tighten it up, it moves just a little bit, so I have to correct it again and again. Very annoying. Maybe Gitzo will work better.

Thank you all for your input!

Cor
22-May-2012, 06:40
Ambroz,

I have also a Toyo 810M, the head I use is a older FOBA ASMIA DUAL-TILTING-HEAD (http://glennview.com/jpgs/tripod/heads/foba/small_1.jpg) on Manfrotto 058 TriautTripod (bought them both for60 euro's, ignorant of the fact that these Foba heads are really expensive, in fact I did not like the head at first, I had to use quiet some force to tighten the knobs down, but it got better), Heavy? you bet ! but so is the camera anyway: rock solid it is.

Oh and I did put a Manfrotto quick release in between: a 410Pl plate (http://www.manfrotto.com/accessory-plate-with-1-4-and-3-8-screws) and adapter I believe. I think I did add a layer of rubber in between (bicycle tire) to prevent movement.

best,

Cor

Øyvind:D
2-Oct-2012, 02:06
Both G1570 and the Foba heavy 3-way heads works, I have both, they need both need 40kg-50kg pressure at 10cm arm to be moved, both are easy to fasten. My present is a Sacthler DA2-75 with a Sinar Pan Tilt with a Hejnar Arca clamp (with bored holes for the Sinar-bolts) that both fits the Linhof rail on the 8x10 and the Arca swiss for 8x10 and 4x5. This combination is lighter and takes less room, as there is only one short handle.