PDA

View Full Version : Aero ektar 7" F2,5 on a Sinar F2, any clues ?

Laurent L
19-May-2012, 03:33
Hi !

I have bought some 4x5 negatives sold on ebay and after having made a lot of prints in mt darkroom I fell in love with the american large format lenses.

After having bought a commercial ektar with its vintage ACME 4, (i'm still waitin' for the copal 3 board from China) I got myself an aero ektar 7".

I wish i could use it on my sinar F2 fefore buying a speed graphic or something else in that kind of large format cameras. Any clues about how to mount this american beauty on my F2 ?

I bet some of you have made it possible !

Thanks

genotypewriter
19-May-2012, 06:31
Folks here might have an idea:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/aeroektar/

Might also be worth reading:
http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00Z5oH

erie patsellis
19-May-2012, 09:07
depending on the light levels and EI of the film you're using, packard shutter, guillotine shutter. I do know that in the past SK Grimes has mounted one to fit around a Sinar Shutter, but it will likely cost more than the lens, or the lens and shutter combination.

Or perhaps this might work for you...http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard314159/5519911322/

Laurent L
19-May-2012, 11:55
Thanks for these ideas, the more I learn about Aero Ektar, the more I understand that this is gonna be my most expensive whim since I entered large format. I have two options, buying a copal shutter for my Sinar F2 (about 800 bucks) and make a sinar board carrying the Aero Ektar or buying a speed graphic with a Lommen board made for the Aero Ektar. This last option would be the wiser because it will be cheaper and more effective.

Am I right ?

Wish I could travel to the states to buy a good speed graphic, here in france it's tricky to find a good one, well I may find my one on the french large format forum too...

Frank Petronio
19-May-2012, 12:30
You could just mount it without regards for a shutter and try it out before spending more money. A hat can be a very effective shutter and you can, with practice, get pretty close to fraction of a second exposure times. If your exposures are 1/2 or 1 second no problem!

Remember that the leaf shutters have slower maximum exposure times than the 1/1000th of the Speed Graphic. With such a fast lens you may need the faster times if you shoot in daylight.

Laurent L
19-May-2012, 12:39
That's it frank !

I think i'm in for a speed graphic !

Frank Petronio
19-May-2012, 14:16
The Aero Ektar phase should pass quickly, the key is to not spend much money on it and then sell them for a profit.

Lachlan 717
19-May-2012, 14:43
Sinar shutters aren't $800; you can get these for about half that.

Great product, especially as it is a perfect match to your camera!

erie patsellis
19-May-2012, 19:55
Sinar shutters aren't $800; you can get these for about half that.

With patience, half of half of that....

Lachlan 717
20-May-2012, 01:27
With patience, half of half of that....

Just DON'T buy one without the cable release!!!

Corran
20-May-2012, 10:15
The Aero Ektar phase should pass quickly, the key is to not spend much money on it and then sell them for a profit.

Haven't you said that for several years now? :D

Frank Petronio
20-May-2012, 11:28
Hey the trend sucks a lot of people into large format, I sold one I had to a Toronto sports shooter who wanted to profit off the David Burnett hype. I doubt he ever figured out where to insert the CF card.