PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs guidance about hood

Bill, 70's military B&W
17-May-2012, 16:52
I bought a Toyo view camera, my first, and I want to sew my own hood. I've read that you want black on one side and white on the other. I have a couple of questions.
4x5 camera, what dimensions?
What material? How many layers?
How do I attach it to the camera? I thought about a draw string but that would crush the bellows. Velcro would work fine, but I would have to glue one side of the velcro to the camera itself, if that is the case then where is the best point of attachment?
I need a loupe to focus on the ground glass, where do I find one?
Thanks, Bill

Dan Henderson
17-May-2012, 17:18
Or you could try what has worked well for me: an XXL black cotton t shirt. It is not nearly as hot to work under since it lets some air in, it is a lot lighter to carry than a regulation dark cloth, and it is dark enough to see my ground glass clearly on even a bright sunny day. The neck of the shirt fits nicely around the camera and does not fly away easily.

There have been a couple of loupes for sale here lately, do a search or post a wanted ad. Ebay is an option as well.

Ari
17-May-2012, 18:46
There was a fine Silvestri loupe for sale here a while back, a search of the For Sale section will turn it up.
I made all my dark cloths by using one piece of black material and a similar piece of white material and sewing them together.
No need for velcro or elastics, it will stay in place unless it's quite windy.

Bill, 70's military B&W
17-May-2012, 19:13
Thanks everyone, that gave me a couple of ideas. I'll look at the For Sale section again.