PDA

View Full Version : Austin Granger at the Portland Photographer's Forum

austin granger
17-May-2012, 13:36
Hi all. Awhile back, fellow LFP member Peter Gomena asked me if I'd come to a meeting of the Portland Photographer's Forum and talk about my pictures. Strangely enough (it must have been the beers), I agreed. The meeting (open to anyone) is on Monday, May 21st from 7-9. There is more information here:

http://www.portlandphotoforum.com/events_ppf.html

Good God, now I need a plan!

Thanks everyone,

Austin

www.austingranger.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/angranger

vinny
17-May-2012, 13:57
never heard of 'em.

Mark Barendt
17-May-2012, 14:05
Oh no you've already missed the meeting. ;)

There's a typo I think. Maybe May 21?

Sounds interesting, because I'm looking at a possible move to Portland. Sadly won't be in town until the following week.

austin granger
17-May-2012, 14:30
Thanks Mark. If my talk was April 21st then I'm really late! Seriously, yes, it is MAY 21st, as in this coming Monday night.

Oh no you've already missed the meeting. ;)

There's a typo I think. Maybe May 21?

Sounds interesting, because I'm looking at a possible move to Portland. Sadly won't be in town until the following week.

Jay DeFehr
17-May-2012, 14:45
I wish I could attend.

austin granger
17-May-2012, 17:16
I wish I could attend.
I wish you could too Jay, it'd be nice to meet you face to face. Plus, it would be good to have the moral support; aside from my children, I don't talk to people much anymore, and so I'm a little nervous about it.

Jan Pedersen
17-May-2012, 17:18
I don't talk to people much anymore, and so I'm a little nervous about it.

Don't be nervous, we are a friendly bunch! :)

ross
17-May-2012, 17:50
Wish I could attend Austin. I'm sure it'll be a treat for those that do.

Roger Cole
17-May-2012, 17:53
Could you arrange to record it and post it online somewhere? Video or audio, wouldn't matter that much.

Vaughn
17-May-2012, 19:28
I'll be up your way right after the 4th of July -- anything happening, meeting-wise around then?

Vaughn

Jay DeFehr
17-May-2012, 19:45
I wish you could too Jay, it'd be nice to meet you face to face. Plus, it would be good to have the moral support; aside from my children, I don't talk to people much anymore, and so I'm a little nervous about it.

Portland and Seattle are practically neighbors, so I'm sure we'll meet sooner or later, and I look forward to it. Talking about photographs to photographers is a lot different than talking about photos to non-photographers. I'm sure your audience will make you very comfortable, but I understand your nervousness. Just remind yourself you were invited, and that can only mean there's appreciation, and it's well earned, in my opinion.

Kirk Gittings
17-May-2012, 21:30
Plus, it would be good to have the moral support; aside from my children, I don't talk to people much anymore, and so I'm a little nervous about it.

Your best moral support is your work. It is phenomenal.

Roger Cole
17-May-2012, 21:37
Your best moral support is your work. It is phenomenal.

+1. I just received Austin's book. It's superb.

Peter Gomena
17-May-2012, 22:51
Austin's work is exceptional, and it speaks for itself. We'll have the additional privilege of hearing the stories behind the pictures.

As Jan Pedersen said, relax, we are a friendly bunch. Most of us are too old to catch you very easily.

As friend of mine's lawyer said as they entered a federal courtroom for his bankruptcy hearing, "Relax, they can't eat you." :D

Peter Gomena
President
Portland Photographers' Forum

austin granger
18-May-2012, 08:39
Thank you everyone-I feel fortified.

Ray Bidegain
18-May-2012, 09:53
I am looking forward to this evening with you Austin, and the good news is that there is beer after.

Ray

austin granger
18-May-2012, 11:13
I am looking forward to this evening with you Austin, and the good news is that there is beer after.

Ray

Beer before might make it more interesting...

jcoldslabs
19-May-2012, 00:30
Hope I can make it, but I'm beginning to think I suffer from anthropophobia these days. Going out in public and seeing other people? Yikes! (This is a reflection on me and not anyone else.) Austin's work is fantastic and deserves to be supported. We'll see...

Jonathan

Bill Burk
19-May-2012, 06:06
Have fun Austin, wish I could be there.

Transcripts... Would make a great reading...

Peter Gomena
19-May-2012, 14:33
jcoldslabs, you should try to make it. PPF meetings are the cure for the common phobias, dropsy, ague, catarrh, lumbago and gout.

Peter Gomena

Monty McCutchen
19-May-2012, 14:42
Beer is always good! Congrats Austin. Your work deserves a bigger audience! Hope you have a great time and the work is a smashing success as I'm sure it will be.

best,

Monty

jcoldslabs
21-May-2012, 00:16
Peter,

I'll try to make it, but I may not socialize. It's just not my thing.

Jonathan

cpercy
21-May-2012, 14:08
Hope I can make it, but I'm beginning to think I suffer from anthropophobia these days. Going out in public and seeing other people? Yikes! (This is a reflection on me and not anyone else.) Austin's work is fantastic and deserves to be supported. We'll see...

Jonathan

Jonathan, hope I didn't contribute to this, just bring your wife with you she sounds like someone who can help with the phobias.

Wish I could go, first I missed the eclipse yesterday in MN, and now this.

And Austin good luck tonight I suspect it will end up being a lot of fun.

jcoldslabs
21-May-2012, 14:20
Contribute to it? I can't see how. No, I'm just being honest. I am not very comfortable in new situations and around new people. However, I am planning on attending tonight and looking forward to it; I'm just not the type to mingle and glad-hand after the talk is all.

But this should be about Austin, not me. I'm eager to hear more about his work and am happy to support such an endeavor. (And yes, my wife will go with me, and her support is a crutch I gladly lean on!)

Jonathan