PDA

View Full Version : Lightjet competitors for B&W prints

Bruce Watson
22-Jan-2004, 19:00
A recent post got me thinking about printing B&W through a pro lab. The question then becomes, which of the large format digital printers produces the best B&W prints? Who else makes digital printers similar to the Lightjets that can handle B&W printing?

mark lindsey
22-Jan-2004, 21:27
west coast imaging does really nice work, I toured the place when I was last at Yosemite nat. park. (they are in the west, but not on the coast) I think they are about an hour south of Yosemite valley.

www.westcoastimaging.com

Graeme Hird
23-Jan-2004, 02:04
For the Aussie photographers - Pixel Perfect in Sydney (www.pixelperfect.com.au) print on B&W RA-4 paper (Kodak Portra?), though their monochrome prints on normal colour paper do not have any tint that I can see. I highly recommend them, though I'm not connected to them in any way other than as a satisfied customer.

PS- They are quite happy to fill orders for overseas photographers, and are probably cheaper and faster than many labs that are "local" for US photographers.

Cheers, Graeme

Bruce Watson
23-Jan-2004, 08:05
No, you misunderstand.

I'm not talking about print-for-pay businesses. I'm talking about printing machines. Who makes the machines?

bob carnie
23-Jan-2004, 08:39
Hogarth You may have missed my post earlier in the week. I presently print fibre paper digitally in my Lab. www.elevatordigital.ca , I use a Durst Lambda exposing unit. A lightjet machine may or may not work . It is all dependent how the photographic paper responds to the lazers. Yes I develop in dectol and finish prints as I normally do with traditional enlarger prints. Bob Carnie

Dave Ditzel
23-Jan-2004, 20:18
Hogarth, three of the manufacturers I am familiar with are Kodak, Durst-Lambda, and Sienna Imaging. Both Kodak and Durst-Lambda make a laser diode type writer similiar to the Cymbolic Sciences Light Jet. Sienna imaging uses a CRT (cathode ray tube) to write their images with. I imagine Fuji and Agfa make a printer as well but I cannot verify that.