PDA

View Full Version : Question about TMAX film

stradibarrius
16-May-2012, 05:40
I have never shot TMAX. I shoot Tri-X 320 in Rodinal or HC-110.
If I bought a few rolls of 120 TMAX and worked with those, would that give me a true feel for the results in 4x5? Obviously a few rolls of 120 is much cheaper than $90 for a box to 4x5 TMAX.
Also How doew TMAX do in HC-110 or Rodinal?

polyglot
16-May-2012, 05:51
Do you mean 100 (TMX) or 400 (TMY)?

Same emulsion in different formats AFAIK but obviously you have to be careful to use the same agitation scheme or you won't get comparable results.

I love TMY2 in Rodinal 1+50 (for snappy) or Xtol 1+1 (for smoothness and speed). Some report excellent results from TMX in HC110 but I much prefer the tonality of Acros so far and haven't found a dev I like for TMX.

jp
16-May-2012, 06:01
I stick with tmax400, and don't use tmax100 or 3200.

I think tmax400 provides more highlight detail than traditional films without getting into zone system development. As for development, it requires more consistency with regard to time & temperature.

120 is very much like the 4x5 if you don't blow it up too much. Get a pro-pack or two. I have used some of the weaker dilutions of hc110 with good success with tmax400. It might take a couple rolls to get the exposure and development fine tuned. Then once you've got that down pat, see it works in the lighting conditions you are apt to be shooting in.
Haven't tried rodinal, but have used d76 1+1, xtol 1+1, 1+2, PMK, pyrocatHD, hc110.

I'm sure if you bought a 4x5 box and used 20 sheets you could sell the rest here for worthwhile money.

Vaughn
16-May-2012, 06:52
I have used HC-110 with TMax100 4x5 and got 16x20 prints I have been very pleased with. All landscapes. Tray developed, 1:60.

Ken Lee
16-May-2012, 07:57
Yes, TMX roll film will give you a feel for TMX sheet film.

Larry Gebhardt
16-May-2012, 08:18
Yes, that will work. But agitate the same way, and when you compare prints make sure the enlargement scale is followed. If you normally make a 16x20 print from 4x5 film (4x) then make a 4x enlargement from the 120 film (9"x9" from a 6x6 camera). This way the grain structure will be similar.

I use TMY and Acros, but don't really like TMX for some reason.

Drew Wiley
16-May-2012, 08:47
TMY and TMX are quite different in look, but analogous in roll size to the sheet result.
You can use just about any developer with them, though optimum results take a bit more
finesse. I personally use PMK pyro.

John Kasaian
16-May-2012, 09:05
I've had fine results with Tmax RS on TMY

Drew Wiley
16-May-2012, 09:55
John - TMRS is capable of a very long straight line with both TMY and TMX, esp if you
plus develop or have a high contrast scene and print medium capable of handling it. But
with TMX esp it's easy to blow out highlights, so for conventional silver printing pyro
staining developers have serious advantages controlling the high values. I learned that way
back up there at the top lake on Kaiser Pk one spring in the extremes of ice and snow reflections. Think they call it Campfire Lk - been there? Lovely little pond when the ice
is half-melted, just a few hundred feet below the summit and its wonderful dawn panoramas. Prior to pyro those kinds of negs were hell to print, esp on graded paper.