PDA

View Full Version : ViewFinder app for Android

jfdupuis
15-May-2012, 08:34
When I moved from MF to 4x5, I really missed the possibility of moving around looking at the ground glass of the camera to find the perfect framing. To make thing worst, not having a fresnel, I couldn't see the entire picture clearly and made my composition making painful. I had seen many LF users taking test shots with a compact camera in the past. I taught, why not take them with the correct field of view. Always carrying my phone around, I decided to write an application that would help me compose my pictures. Then was born my ViewFinder app (http://www.droidinthedark.com/viewfinder).

Cheers,

Jeff

alexn
21-May-2012, 02:27
Epic... You're a champion!

gliderbee
21-May-2012, 04:00
I'm using this one, and I like it a lot!

While we're at it (you knew this was coming): how about an option to see the image inverted as on the GG?

Stefan

jfdupuis
21-May-2012, 07:26
I'm glad you guys like it. I never really though about inverting the image, but I can look at it. Would you like to save the picture inverted or see the frame lines with the image inverted or both ?

Jeff

Kirk Gittings
21-May-2012, 07:29
I couldn't tell from the site. What 4x5 FL lenses are simulated. How wide?

gliderbee
21-May-2012, 11:12
As for me, I don't really care about saving the picture: I just use the app to frame it and decide what lens to use, so frame lines with the image inverted is fine by me. I think seeing the saved picture inverted is easy enough: in settings-display, disable auto rotation of the screen; at least, it works for picture viewed in the gallery ..

BTW, to be correct, the picture should be inverted both ways: upside-down and left-right ... but it should be an option of course :cool:

Stefan.

I'm glad you guys like it. I never really though about inverting the image, but I can look at it. Would you like to save the picture inverted or see the frame lines with the image inverted or both ?

Jeff

gliderbee
21-May-2012, 11:14
You can add lenses FL and film sizes at will, there's no limit I've found until now. I added all my lenses for 4x5 and 5x7; next will be 8x10 and 120 film. You can choose what color the frame should display in, and which frames should be shown together.

I couldn't tell from the site. What 4x5 FL lenses are simulated. How wide?

Kirk Gittings
21-May-2012, 12:46
but wouldn't wide lenses be limited by the width of the phone camera lens?

gliderbee
21-May-2012, 13:33
but wouldn't wide lenses be limited by the width of the phone camera lens?

Yes, that's indeed a limitation. What's outside of the max width of the camera but still in the frame, is black.

Kirk Gittings
21-May-2012, 13:37
and how does that widest FOV width relate say to 4x5?

gliderbee
21-May-2012, 13:45
and how does that widest FOV width relate say to 4x5?

On my samsung galaxy s, that's about 127mm

jfdupuis
24-May-2012, 07:36
As for me, I don't really care about saving the picture: I just use the app to frame it and decide what lens to use, so frame lines with the image inverted is fine by me. I think seeing the saved picture inverted is easy enough: in settings-display, disable auto rotation of the screen; at least, it works for picture viewed in the gallery ..

BTW, to be correct, the picture should be inverted both ways: upside-down and left-right ... but it should be an option of course :cool:

Stefan.

I have looked how this could be done and there is no quick way of doing it. The camera API only support rotation, so the mirror need to be done in software. This feature will have to wait the next major release where I plan to introduce BW conversion with filters support.

tenderobject
8-Jun-2012, 18:03
Will you have this for iphone/ipad and for other fornats from 645 o 6x17 atleast? Thanka

DuncanD
8-Jun-2012, 19:21
Clever, but I take out myLF to get away from "technology" and closer to the "real" world. For now I like my 4x5 cutout in gatorboard with a knotted string for focal lengths. Replacements are cheap; no upgrades; no viruses.

jfdupuis
8-Jun-2012, 19:48
Will you have this for iphone/ipad and for other fornats from 645 o 6x17 atleast? Thanka

I don't have a iPhone or iPad so it would be hard for me to test the application on this platform.

As of the supported format, the application impose absolutely no constraints. You can define all the format you want for any focal you like.

Ed Bray
22-Jun-2012, 12:41
I've just purchased it to try on my Samsung Galaxy Note, since installing it everytime I try to use it it freezes, with the message 'unfortunately, viewfinder has stopped'

jfdupuis
22-Jun-2012, 21:42
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing problem with the application. I see that some error reports have been generated. Please try to clear all application data and make a fresh reinstall of the application. Sometime, problem occur at the installation process that lead to strange application behavior. If a reinstall doesn't make it, let me know and I'll look into it.

MrJim
25-Jun-2012, 09:37
Call me crazy, I'm having an issue where I can't find the menu, the app starts, goes right to the camera view, I have an iris button and that's it.. umm. sorry if I'm just plain missing something. I'm using a Galaxy Nexus.

jfdupuis
25-Jun-2012, 19:17
Call me crazy, I'm having an issue where I can't find the menu, the app starts, goes right to the camera view, I have an iris button and that's it.. umm. sorry if I'm just plain missing something. I'm using a Galaxy Nexus.

What you are describing seems to be the normal application main screen. If thing are working normally, from there you should be able to press the menu key that will display the main menu that gives you access to the settings preference panel and to the viewing frame setup screen. To take a picture with the iris button, you first need to select the frame line that you want to use. To do that, you simply click with the desired frame. Some masking should then be added indicating the selected frame line. Hope this help.

Kirk Gittings
25-Jun-2012, 20:00
You can define all the format you want for any focal you like.

Maybe I missed something. How can you define a focal length on a format which requires a field of view that is greater than the taking lens of the IPHONE? For example a 47mm lens on a 4x5? How would that work?

jfdupuis
25-Jun-2012, 20:13
Maybe I missed something. How can you define a focal length on a format which requires a field of view that is greater than the taking lens of the IPHONE? For example a 47mm lens on a 4x5? How would that work?

The current workaround is to place the device's picture in a much bigger frame. Black padding is added as filling. While far from perfect, this still gives you an idea of how the frame would look likes.

MrJim
26-Jun-2012, 05:53
aah, I see. I don't have a menu key. I just have the iris key.

jfdupuis
26-Jun-2012, 07:28
The menu key is one of the three standard button together with "back" and "home"

MrJim
27-Jun-2012, 09:08
Nope, hitting the menu takes me to the widget page, back takes it to widget page, and the other button goes to to recent apps. I'm running ICS, not sure if that makes a difference.

Ed Bray
27-Jun-2012, 09:52
I've completely given up with it now, not my best purchase.

I'm also running ICS.

adam satushek
5-Jul-2012, 12:22
Just curious if anyone has tried this app on the HTC One-S? I am thinking about purchasing it but just want to make sure it works well with my device first.

Thanks,
Adam

jfdupuis
24-Jul-2012, 23:01

It took a while, but I finally managed to get my hands on a device that exhibit the missing menu button. It seems that a recent version of ICS dropped the support of the menu button. I had to force the legacy mode where three dots are displayed with the other buttons. I have updated the application and tested it on Android 4.1.

MrJim
25-Jul-2012, 06:57
worked like a charm. Thanks for the effort. I feel for the android dev's, I realize it's a major pain to deal with all the iterations on that platform.

Ed Bray
25-Jul-2012, 11:02
After seeing the above I tried it again, success, it finally sort of works on my ICS Galaxy Note. Still not quite perfect but it is now working.

jfdupuis
25-Jul-2012, 22:45
After seeing the above I tried it again, success, it finally sort of works on my ICS Galaxy Note. Still not quite perfect but it is now working.
I'm always open to constructive comments on how to improve things.

Ed Bray
25-Jul-2012, 22:58
I'm always open to constructive comments on how to improve things.

It would be nice if there were a few more options for lenses longer than 150mm for 4x5

jfdupuis
26-Jul-2012, 07:07
It would be nice if there were a few more options for lenses longer than 150mm for 4x5
When you select the lens, there is the "Add" button at the bottom of the list. You can then enter any desired focal length.

Ed Bray
26-Jul-2012, 08:04
When you select the lens, there is the "Add" button at the bottom of the list. You can then enter any desired focal length.

Thanks for the info, I have put in all my focal lengths but now it states, 'unable to set preview size' and the image is restricted to about 100mm, all the frames for lenses wider than that are just empty.

dperez
4-Sep-2012, 13:26
Nice work Jeff,

I have an iphone and ipad, so I wont be able to use your app, but congrats nonetheless. It looks nice, and being that the user can define whatever format and focal length desired, it's also very functional as well. If things change and you are able to produce the same app for us apple users, please do let us know, as I would buy it.

-Daniel

MichaelRJHMurphy
7-Nov-2012, 00:39
New installation on what purports to be Jelly Bean, but is in any case at least ICS with three buttons
Set up a new format for my Sony A55 with the APS-C dimensions from wiki: 25.1 x 16.7mm
Used this format to make 2 new frames, one at 35mm and one at 200mm lens lengths
Anyway, long story short: app starts with a black screen, never shows a picture
Iris control is utterly inactive - screen size 854x480 a problem?
ATM a disappointment!

MichaelRJHMurphy
13-Nov-2012, 06:38
This is epic application :)

Well, it would be for me, too, if I could make it work!:confused:

Have to say I am disappointed JF hasn't answered my question ...

MichaelRJHMurphy
11-Dec-2012, 02:28
I am happy to say that the app is now working, because JF modified it to take account of the fact that my phone returns incorrect field of view information. So I am a happy man!:)

RHITMrB
19-Jun-2013, 11:36
I discovered this thread while looking for an Android viewfinder app. Works great on my Galaxy Nexus - thanks!

mikec
12-Oct-2014, 08:53
Good idea. I have been using card frames or guesstimation and still will when out and about with the cameras, but I don't always have them with me, whereas the pesky phone seems to be pretty much always there. The app seems to choke on very wides but it is nice to be able to put up frames with different aspects such 6x17 and 5x7 on the same scene.

DrTang
12-Oct-2014, 13:18
how does one put in 5x7? on the menu it skips from 4x5 straight to 8x10???

I finally managed to get to the menu area by using the left button - I have to hit it a couple times or just right.. then the menu will pop up

You can add lenses FL and film sizes at will, there's no limit I've found until now. I added all my lenses for 4x5 and 5x7; next will be 8x10 and 120 film. You can choose what color the frame should display in, and which frames should be shown together.

Andrew O'Neill
19-Oct-2014, 15:45
What happens if I lose my phone or it dies? Would I have to purchase the app again?

rhineroo
23-Oct-2014, 15:29
When I moved from MF to 4x5, I really missed the possibility of moving around looking at the ground glass of the camera to find the perfect framing. To make thing worst, not having a fresnel, I couldn't see the entire picture clearly and made my composition making painful. I had seen many LF users taking test shots with a compact camera in the past. I taught, why not take them with the correct field of view. Always carrying my phone around, I decided to write an application that would help me compose my pictures. Then was born my ViewFinder app (http://www.droidinthedark.com/viewfinder).

Cheers,
Jeff

Where can I get your App without total observation of my mobile?

I use a revolver viewfinder on my GF.

Sincerely, Rainer

MichaelRJHMurphy
6-Nov-2014, 13:58
I switched to a new LG G3 (AKA D855) recently. ViewFinder on ICS depended on using the "Recent Apps" button to summon the menu. On KitKat (I understand my phone runs 4.4.2, on Kernel 3.4.0), it doesn't seem to intercept the "Recent Apps" keypress.

Mailed Jeff on the address we used last time I had a problem, but haven't seen any answer.

So, other user experiences?

Old-N-Feeble
6-Nov-2014, 14:09
I don't have nor do I need an iPhone/Smartphone but I might buy a cheap digital camera and an ultra-wide auxiliary lens so I can chimp before using real film.;)

DrTang
6-Nov-2014, 14:50
I switched to a new LG G3 (AKA D855) recently. ViewFinder on ICS depended on using the "Recent Apps" button to summon the menu. On KitKat (I understand my phone runs 4.4.2, on Kernel 3.4.0), it doesn't seem to intercept the "Recent Apps" keypress.

Mailed Jeff on the address we used last time I had a problem, but haven't seen any answer.

So, other user experiences?

try lingering on that 'button' for a bit.. found that out by error

ShannonG
16-Nov-2014, 13:43
I just got it,so far it works great,im using a Android.Its great for finding angles that are uncomfortable positions to be in to find the view before getting the camera there.yes,would be nice if it was inverted,but good app.

gliderbee
11-Mar-2015, 07:39

This is an old thread, but I still have that app on my smartphone, only now the latest version of Android does not have a menu key anymore: what used to be a menu key now shows all recent used apps, and there's a "new" menu option the app can't use that new menu key. Is there a new version somewhere ?

NEVER MIND: just found the answer right above :-) :-). I'm happy again !

Thanks,
Stefan.