PDA

View Full Version : Large format in Charleston, SC

Jim Rhoades
21-Jan-2004, 14:31
Greetings, I’ve found that I will be in Charleston, SC for a few days around Easter. My questions are, is Charleston large format & tripod friendly? Should I bring an 8x10 to the historic district? Or do I go with M/F in town?

I am interested in B&W only and would like to shoot swamps, flora, antebellum homes and abandoned railroad stations or buildings. I know I can't do it all but any one would be nice.

Any advice on your favorite secret spot would be appreciated.

Henry Suryo
21-Jan-2004, 14:50
Hi Jim, Charleston's a very fine town to photograph with the 8x10. I'd use nothing less. I think it was voted best-mannered city for 7 years in a row. Everybody just seems so hospitable. Parking in the historic district can be a little nuisance, but not terribly bad. Some areas are a little more touristy and you'll probably draw a curious crowd with the 8x10. Have fun, I can't wait for my next trip! Henry

Louis Joyner
21-Jan-2004, 15:13
Jim: I've been shooting with 4x5 in Charleston for the last year. No problems with tripod on sidewalks or public places, although there will be a few courious "Is that a Hasselblad" questions. Early in the morning is best (fewer people out). Most of the museum houses have restrictions on shooting inside with anything, but outside may be ok. Best to call ahead first, since it varies from house to house. Unfortunately, the train station is long gone. As Henry pointed out, parking can be hard to find, but there are a number of parking garages that are close to the historic areas. The area around Market Street is heavy with tourist; you'll probably have better luck shooting south of Broad Street. There are plenty of marshes on the nearby barrier islands, but swamps are a bit further away. There are two third-system forts in the area. Sumter is the more famous one, but is reachable only by ferry boat. Ft Moultrie, on Sullivan's Island, is an easy drive from downtown Charleston. Sorry, but you won't find a good camera store in town. Bring everything you'll need. If you will be in Charleston on the second Monday (April 12) stop by the Center for Photography for our monthly lecture. Don't know who will be presenting or what the topic will be. The Center's web site is www.center4photography.com. The phone is (843)577-0647. The Second Monday lectures are at 7 pm at the center, 654-D King Street, Charleston.

Brian Ellis
22-Jan-2004, 07:56
Hi Jim - If you're going to be photographing the buildings in the historic district bring your widest angle lens. When I've been there there were always cars parked bumper to bumper in front of every building and to have any chance at a decent photograph (unless you like cars in your photographs of historic bildings) I had to stand on the sidewalk in between the buildings and the cars. But it's a beautiful city with very nice people, I never was hassled anywhere about the tripod.

Kevin M Bourque
22-Jan-2004, 08:00
Hi Jim –

April is a good time to be here. It’s likely to be warm, and there won’t be much in the way of tourists, mosquitoes, or humidity.

One of my favorite places is Magnolia Cemetery. It dates from the 1850s. It’s got Spanish moss and rusting, falling down ironwork and best of all, it’s out of the way AND close to town.

The historic district is quite pretty but it’s been photographed to death. Having said that, when I was in San Francisco, I photographed the Golden Gate Bridge!

Here’s a link to my site…there’s a number of photos from the cemetery and other places around town.

www.kevinbourque.com