PDA

View Full Version : Large format paper suggestions and supplies?

welly
14-May-2012, 05:57
Hey chaps,

I'm looking for some new paper for my Epson 3880. Currently I've been printing with the Epson Traditional Photo Paper, which I do like, but would be interested in trying some alternatives. Paper here in Australia is very, very expensive so I'm keen to purchase some from the US (where I assume it'll be cheapest) so would love some recommendations of suppliers and secondly can anyone recommend some alternative paper types? I'm printing 50/50 black and white/colour so paper to suit either.

Cheers!

Welly

Brian Ellis
14-May-2012, 06:30
What type of paper are you interested in, matte, glossy, semi-gloss?

I used Moab Entrada Natural and Moab Entrada Bright (both matte papers) for years and always liked them with my Epson printers (1160, 2200, 3800). Then Epson had a big sale on their Ultra-Premium Luster (a semi-gloss paper) a while back so I bought a box and ended up liking it a lot, the first semi-gloss paper I've really liked (tried the Harmon AL somethingorother, also tried a couple others that are supposed to closely resemble the old darkroom fiber base papers, they all looked too much like the darkroom RC paper to suit my tastes). I don't know how it compares in price to others but I like it and I know it isn't super-expensive so I'll stick with it for a while. But of course if you're looking for a matte or glossy paper it wouldn't suit you.

You could always buy a sampler kit and try different papers for yourself.

I mostly buy from www.atlex.com. I've been buying paper, inks, etc. from them for years. They used to be one of the least expensive sources. I don't know how they compare today, I haven't checked lately because I don't care. Their service has been excellent and I'm willing to pay a little more for good service.

Gem Singer
14-May-2012, 06:50
Hi Welly,

With the Epson 3880, and the K-3 inks, I have been making 16"x22" B&W display prints on Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte.

Approx. $1.00 per 17"x22" sheet at B&H Photo.

When framed under glazing, it's difficult to tell exactly what grade of paper was used.

To my eye, this one looks like one of the more expensive papers.

welly
15-May-2012, 02:00
What type of paper are you interested in, matte, glossy, semi-gloss?

I used Moab Entrada Natural and Moab Entrada Bright (both matte papers) for years and always liked them with my Epson printers (1160, 2200, 3800). Then Epson had a big sale on their Ultra-Premium Luster (a semi-gloss paper) a while back so I bought a box and ended up liking it a lot, the first semi-gloss paper I've really liked (tried the Harmon AL somethingorother, also tried a couple others that are supposed to closely resemble the old darkroom fiber base papers, they all looked too much like the darkroom RC paper to suit my tastes). I don't know how it compares in price to others but I like it and I know it isn't super-expensive so I'll stick with it for a while. But of course if you're looking for a matte or glossy paper it wouldn't suit you.

You could always buy a sampler kit and try different papers for yourself.

I mostly buy from www.atlex.com. I've been buying paper, inks, etc. from them for years. They used to be one of the least expensive sources. I don't know how they compare today, I haven't checked lately because I don't care. Their service has been excellent and I'm willing to pay a little more for good service.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the tips. I'm mostly keen on matte and semi-gloss. I did have a look at the Atlex site and it seems they don't ship down here to Oz! So that's a little annoying, particularly as they had fantastic prices (paper was easily half the price compared with buying here). I shall figure something out and perhaps find some Stateside minions to send me some over!

I'll have a look for the Epson Ultra-premium paper and see how I get on. The sampler kit makes sense. I could probably pick up some of that here for about the same price.

Cheers!

Welly

Gem Singer
15-May-2012, 05:44
Welly,

On the B&H website, Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte is still listed under it's previous name, Enhanced Matte Paper.

Michael Graves
16-Jul-2012, 10:33
I just received my 3880 and a delivery of Epson's Exhibition Fiber and some Premium Photo Luster. I really like the Exhibition Fiber. The results are amazing. I probably would have liked the Premium Photo better had I not had the fiber to compare with. Looking at the Moab offerings, I might just try some of theirs as well.

blokada
19-Jul-2012, 01:22
If you are using matte paper I will recommend Moab Entrada Bright.

Lenny Eiger
19-Jul-2012, 10:37
Hahnemuhle wins every test I do here, based on my criteria, of course... I like the PhotoRag 308, matte surface, velvety, rich, etc.

Lenny

bob carnie
19-Jul-2012, 10:58
I like the Epson Exhibition fiber as well, I also picked up some Epson Hot press natural and Epson Cold press natural but have not had enough time to test it yet.
I use Fuji's equivilant to Hannamuhle photo rag, it is called smooth cotton and is very nice as well when I want a softer look.

I just received my 3880 and a delivery of Epson's Exhibition Fiber and some Premium Photo Luster. I really like the Exhibition Fiber. The results are amazing. I probably would have liked the Premium Photo better had I not had the fiber to compare with. Looking at the Moab offerings, I might just try some of theirs as well.

bob carnie
19-Jul-2012, 11:03
Another difficult paper to work with but IMO one of the nicest looks on inkjet is Fabrinio hot press, this is a watercolour paper and NOT A INKJET APPROVED PAPER, that I use for alt processes.*** not yelling with the caps but making sure you are aware that it is not what the PS gurus would ever recommend***
Getting the right profile for this is difficult, but if you are into an very soft , old vintage , type of look where the inks sink into the paper and not sit on top as most inkjet proper papers its worth trying.
Fudging the original file is pretty much a given and the right profile for your printer may take you some time to perfect.
But if something a bit different and choice look is in your mandate this is a paper to consider.

Michael Graves
19-Jul-2012, 11:53
Does Hahnemuhle have anything that has a bit of surface sheen to it. I don't really like matte surfaces that much, but I hate the ultra-glossy surface even more. The Exhibition Fiber has a nice luster. My one complaint is that is it very heavy. I would like something more like a standard double-weight paper.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. The Entrada Bright just went onto my list as something to order. I ordered their sample pack so I'll take a look before I sink money into a significant stock. Probably most of my "serious" printing will remain wet printing in the darkroom, but for proofing and for stuff to be delivered quickly, I think the 3880 is going to become an important tool.

Hahnemuhle wins every test I do here, based on my criteria, of course... I like the PhotoRag 308, matte surface, velvety, rich, etc.

Lenny

Lenny Eiger
19-Jul-2012, 16:24
Does Hahnemuhle have anything that has a bit of surface sheen to it. I don't really like matte surfaces that much, but I hate the ultra-glossy surface even more. The Exhibition Fiber has a nice luster. My one complaint is that is it very heavy. I would like something more like a standard double-weight paper.

They have two, one is called Pearl, at 285 grams, the other a Fine Art Baryta, at 325 grams. I have used both, but the raves were for the Baryta... They have a couple of variants of these. I get my paper primarily from Jimmy, at shadesofpaper.com. They have a full listing...

Lenny

Gary Tarbert
20-Jul-2012, 07:26
They have two, one is called Pearl, at 285 grams, the other a Fine Art Baryta, at 325 grams. I have used both, but the raves were for the Baryta... They have a couple of variants of these. I get my paper primarily from Jimmy, at shadesofpaper.com. They have a full listing...

LennyI agree the baryta is superb , i also like the Canson platine .Cheers Gary

andy
20-Jul-2012, 09:41
canson platine or baryta photographique.

they're fantastic. I prefer the platine for black and white, but it's good for color as well.
both papers have a depth that isn't common for inkjet papers.