PDA

View Full Version : Canadian stores stocking Pictorico OHP?

Jonathan Lee
21-Jan-2004, 07:51
Anybody know of a Canadian store that stocks Pcitorico OHP (for digital inkjet internegatives)? My local store (Ginn in Ottawa) has given me a 6-8 week delivery time becasue it is a special order and I'd rather not have to use cross border mail order.

Thanks

Daniel Grenier
21-Jan-2004, 08:30
Jonathan. Try Galaxy Camera 99 Bank Street (Bank & Albert) Tel (613) 563-7997.

Roger Hein
21-Jan-2004, 15:36
Jonathan,

I've not had any success finding a dealer in Canada that actually stocks Pictorico materials. What else is new?

FWIW I have had great service ordering from both Pictorico themselves and from Mountain Studios (http://www.mountainstudiosco.com/). Be sure to specify USPS priority or express mail for shipping to avoid the high brokerage fees charged by a courier service (like UPS).

Paul Kierstead
21-Jan-2004, 17:14
How can I live in Ottawa and still know know about these stores?? Gonna have to visit, I guess.

I can't point you to Pictorico, but I can offer comments on cross border. FedEx and UPS both have good brokerage rates ($7 for FedEx, free I think for UPS, cheap if not) IF you use express (of any sort). If you use ground, then you will get hit with a variable (based on item value) brokerage rate which is quite vicious. Of course the express shipping cost is quite a bit higher; for lower priced items it may very well be cheaper to use the ground anyway. For fairly low cost items, sometimes they don't charge. I have bought a lot of stuff cross-border, and not too much trouble, although you need to know the system; for example, over a certain value FedEx requires a fax granting them authority to act as your broker. The value is something like $1500.

If you get a Canadian source, let us know. I (and others I suspect) are always looking for good Canadian suppliers.

Jonathan Lee
22-Jan-2004, 09:51
I went through the whole list of Pictorico dealers on their website and not one of them stocked it. I guess I'll have to deal with Pictorico. I only like to deal mailorder when I have to. I like to patronize locally if I can. Sadly, the local used camera store (Camera Exchange) just went belly up and is liquidating. This was a store that had drawers and drawers of junk and was the place you went to when you needed an odd-sized retaining ring adn where you could actually talk to someone who knew the difference between a Summicron and a Symmar...Sigh.

The only hobbyist, large format friendly store I know of is Eight Elm Photo in Toronto. They stock 5x7 film (hurray!) and they have Bergger film and Pyro.

Ron Bose
23-Jan-2004, 14:09
Eight Elm is the tops, Micheal Chen can order almost anything within reason. The guy's a star, he even gave me a bottle of vodka-mudslide when I went in just before Christmas.

Great for Leica too !!