PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as foggy weather app?

rustyair
11-May-2012, 21:55
Is there such thing as a foggy weather app or a website?

Lately, I want to take foggy day photography and I have no idea how to guess a foggy day. Do you have any tips?

Bill Burk
11-May-2012, 22:11
For the US there's http://www.noaa.gov - looks like I have three days of patchy fog coming my way

Doremus Scudder
12-May-2012, 00:31
Weatherman :cool:

Kind of an old-fashioned app, but it still works.

Doremus

Brian Ellis
12-May-2012, 06:03
I don't know where you're located but if you want to make photographs in fog go to a part of the world at a time when fog is prevalent, if that's feasible for you. I used to wonder how California photographers got so many photographs in foggy conditions until I toured the northern Pacific Coast for the first time many years ago. Then I figured it out.

As an aside, you can post your location here and nobody will steal your credit card or tap your bank account.

jp
12-May-2012, 06:26
Where are ya?

Here (Maine), it's a matter of understanding the local weather. Cold ocean temps meets warm summery air temps and we have fog in coastal places. Little or no wind means fog potential, wind makes fog unlikely. Wind direction can also be a factor. Some places start out foggy in the morning and "burn off" as the sun warms the air. Some places, the fog "rolls in" later in the day. It's watchable. It looks like a storm cloud at ground level, sorta like being in the clouds atop a mountain.

rustyair
12-May-2012, 07:01
Thanks guys. I live in New York city.

Greg Miller
12-May-2012, 08:05
Around NYC, the most common fog is precipitation fog. That occurs when it rains on a relatively warm day, and then a cold night causes the moisture in the air to condense. Also around NYC, fog occurs in early autumn when the water (rivers, ocean) temps are still warm, but cold nights cause a small inversion of warm moist air from the water rising above the cold night air, also causing condensation/fog. In both cases, a clear night sky with few clouds allows the air temps to cool more. So look fog the morning after for warm moist days followed by a cold clear night.

John Kasaian
12-May-2012, 09:31
look out the window?

J. Fada
12-May-2012, 18:31
You basically need 100% humidity and the dew point the same as the temperature. Still winds help too. Most forecasts give the dew point and the rest as well. When these three factors collide there is a pretty good chance you will get fog.

There you have it.

David Lobato
12-May-2012, 18:41
If heavy rain is forecast to end and then clear overnight, fog and mist are likely at sunrise. Last night those events happened, and have occurred several times since I started noticing for a couple of years.

cabbiinc
14-May-2012, 08:32
Fog forms when the difference between temperature and dew point is generally less than 2.5 °C or 4 °F.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog#Characteristics

If you have a website or app that shows foretasted hourly temps with dew point you can get an educated guess for when fog will form, hang out, and burn off. Of course there's other factors like having enough humidity in the air, but if you're in an area with semi-frequent fog usually the other factors fall in line. I know that when the temp gets much above the dew point it burns off pretty quickly.

John Kasaian
14-May-2012, 08:56
The app I'm familiar with is commony known as cataracts!:rolleyes: