PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down a Simma-Roller

Cor
10-May-2012, 03:28
I have this nice Simma Sine Wave Roller, wich I pimairly use with a Jobo 3010.

I do have a nice set of print drums now (upto 20*24 inch 50*60 cm), which enables printing bigger than 30*40 (my darkroom is rather small).

I did test drive 30*40cm FB in a Simma drum, which worked out fine, apart from the fact that my developer oxidized rapidly judged by the fast colour change to brown. I assume that the developer is sloshed around too violently and thus get oxidized.

So I would like to slow down the speed of the roller with a dimmer. I got this Thyristor dimmer, can I use that without out harming the electro motor of the roller? I am not to well versed in electronics, and would hate to destroy that nice roller (I run 220V, but I guess that that is not important).

Thanks in advance,

Best,

Cor

sully75
10-May-2012, 05:42
I have the same roller, which I used to use with Chromega drums.

I just got the 3010. It seems way too fast.

I just started rolling it by hand instead. It works awesome. I have thought about slowing down the Simma roller, but at this point I can't figure out a good reason not to hand roll it. If I have it on the roller, I'm going to be tempted to do something else while its rolling and then I'm going to get distracted and it's going to fall off the roller. I know this because it happens.

Cor
10-May-2012, 06:05
Hi Sully,

On the 3010 Simma combo: it looks fast indeed, but nevertheless my results are excellent with PyrocatHD (it doesn't look terribly exhausted after a run, nowhere near the tar colour PMK had) as well as Xtol. I did try to make something similar to the ring on the Simma tanks which run through the groove of the roller (as you pointed out in a previous thread of mine), but I was not succesfull yet. Thus far I had no walk offs, but I stay close.

Still: is a dimmer on a Simma Roller viable ?

best,

Cor

Bob Salomon
10-May-2012, 06:48
Is your unit a 120V one or a European version? If it is a North American version (Simma was a Canadian company) then running it on 50 cucle current will make it run faster then it would have on North American 60 cycles.

Cor
10-May-2012, 07:13
Bob, it's on 220V

Is your unit a 120V one or a European version? If it is a North American version (Simma was a Canadian company) then running it on 50 cucle current will make it run faster then it would have on North American 60 cycles.

Bob Salomon
10-May-2012, 07:16
Cor,

Is the roller made for 220V 50cycle or 120V 60 cycle? Check the plate by the cord.

sully75
10-May-2012, 08:21
Oh I wasn't paying attention....you are using it for prints. Sorry.

As far as keeping the drum on the base, I have two big jugs of waste water. I put one on either side of the 3010, they seem to prevent it from wandering.

Anyway, back to your question.

Cor
10-May-2012, 08:45
Just checked it Bob..it's 50HZ

But what is the relation to the dimmer (which is also 220/240 volt, 1500 watt and 8 amp) ?

Cor,

Is the roller made for 220V 50cycle or 120V 60 cycle? Check the plate by the cord.

Bob Salomon
10-May-2012, 08:52
If it was a 60 HZ motor it could have been running fast on 50 HZ.

The dimmer should slow it down. Just check for over heating of the roller and the dimmer while you are doing it. If it does not build up heat you should be fine.