PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 045N-2 leather cover question...

Carterofmars
9-May-2012, 18:41
I just received a cover for the 045N-2 and was surprised to find a adhesive on the inside of the cover. It looks like it's meant to make the cover somewhat permanently affixed to the camera body. Why did the factory do that? The gluey substance is rather tacky and it feels like it may leave a little residue after I remove it (I haven't pealed the paper backing yet and stuck to camera).

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks...

David Aimone
9-May-2012, 19:04
Mine is the same. After a quite bit of use, it's been slowly "peeling" off (the thin side parts of the cover). Doesn't really bother me though. if I wanted to take it off, a bit of goo-gone would remove the sticky stuff, though I'd be careful doing that and test a small area first....

RHITMrB
10-May-2012, 10:09
I've been thinking about taking mine off. I like the leather cover, but I'd like it more if it didn't have the adhesive. Goo-Gone is too strong for leather; I read that a "crepe rubber eraser" is designed for removing adhesive from materials undergoing conservation, so I'm going to try that.

Boinzo
10-May-2012, 14:56
Agree. I like the cover but the adhesive is awful. And after a lot of use my cover no longer sticks properly and can get tangled on the tripod head when I am removing the camera. Annoying. I'm considering screwing mine onto the camera with a couple of shallow screws so it stops falling off all the time! Bit edgy about hitting my cam with a power drill though...

Old-N-Feeble
10-May-2012, 16:05
This thread has made me comfortable with a thick cloth wrap and no fancy leather thingy.

Carterofmars
10-May-2012, 19:21
That adhesive was a mistake.

Trius
11-May-2012, 20:21
Yeah, Nando regretted installing the cover; his experience kept me from ordering it. Currently I'm using the wrap shipped with the camera, but at some point will get some custom inserts from Martilena on Etsy.

Kodachrome25
11-May-2012, 20:37
+1

This thread has made me comfortable with a thick cloth wrap and no fancy leather thingy.

Mike Wallis
15-May-2012, 05:18
Quite. I use a cloth wrap but have the folding viewing shade fitted. This really protects the glass and freznel.

pound
17-May-2012, 01:35
indeed. the double side tape will turn sticky in no time. i tried removing the whole sticky patch but wasn't too successful. I wonder what the thought behind the tape on the leather cover. maybe hugo can tell us.

ShaunQ
17-May-2012, 04:29
I just ran a strip of araldite glue along the edge that hangs down when you have the camera open, worked well and the sticky tape is holding the cover well on the underside of the camera.