PDA

View Full Version : light leak ?

Yef
8-May-2012, 06:18
hello and another question about the leaks in the development - please look at the image and tell me if it's the camera or my development 73302

thank you

vinny
8-May-2012, 06:25
your film holder leaked.
post this on yahoo and tell them it's an angel. you'll be famous over night.

Yef
8-May-2012, 06:29
are you sure, that's bad - i didn't write the number of the holders yesterday :( it was on a speed of 125 so i guess it can't be a camera. can it be film holder in the bag - maybe the dark slide moved or something? it happend to me with 5 film holder 2-4mm deferents on the sheet

E. von Hoegh
8-May-2012, 06:36
Looks like a pinhole in the bellows.

Yef
8-May-2012, 06:38
at the speed of 125?

Old-N-Feeble
8-May-2012, 06:42
Are you sure there wasn't something reflective on that wall? Maybe the wind blew and moved a reflection of the sun into the light path of the lens and you didn't notice?

DISREGARD... I missed where you wrote it happened with five different film holders.

vinny
8-May-2012, 06:43
shutter speed and the amount of time you had the dark slide out are two different things.
if the film holder leaked, the results could happen any time between loading the film and processing but usually occurs in direct sunlight.

disregard the holder comment, I didn't read that as happening to 5 holders. camera back or bellows issue.

E. von Hoegh
8-May-2012, 06:44
at the speed of 125?

What does shutter speed have to do with lightleaks in the bellows??

Yef
8-May-2012, 06:54
i take out the dark slide just a second before i expos and state away close it

E. von Hoegh
8-May-2012, 06:57
i take out the dark slide just a second before i expos and state away close it

So, if the slide is out for three seconds, that's 375 times longer than the shutter is open. Five seconds, 625 times.

Why not just check your bellows, instead of asking questions here? If it happened with five different holders, it's likely the bellows.

Vaughn
8-May-2012, 07:28
The quick bellows test --

Put in a film holder, remove the lens/lensboard, extend the bellows. Turn off the lights and in a completely dark room, stick a flashlight into the bellows via the front standard and check if you can see any light coming out of the bellows or from around the film holder.

Also check the lensboard for any holes.

Also for us to better help, it is best to post a scan of the entire negative or the print that also shows the rebate around the image (the part of the negative that receives no exposure because the rails and ends of the holder that hold the film in cover the film).

If the rebate is not fogged, than usually it is an in-camera light leak.

Good luck in tracking down the cause!

PS -- it does look to be a pin-hole in the bellows. If the film got struck by light while out of the camera (during loading, unloading or development of the film) it would usually be a more extensive, general fogging.

Bill Burk
8-May-2012, 07:36
Hi Yef,

This isn't LF, but it IS pinhole in bellows. Many shots from this trip were fine, because the holes were tiny. But with the camera in open sun, the light comes straight through and hits the film. This all happened while framing the shot and waiting for the geyser to spout... You can see the path of the fogging light follows a path of its own

http://www.beefalobill.com/images/_MG_7669s.jpg

Old-N-Feeble
8-May-2012, 07:42
Light leaks can also happen if the film holder is not inserted properly or if there's a problem with the back.

Jim Noel
8-May-2012, 08:25
It definitely is a hole in the bellows. If that hole happens to be oriented in the direction of the sun it will burnout like this in less than a second.
Quick solution - keep your dark cloth over the camera all the time.
To find the hole, extend the bellows, put a bulb, a small one so you don't burn more holes, in the camera. Cover the ground glass with the dark cloth and turnout the light.
Jim

Yef
8-May-2012, 11:17
a put the camera in the dark room extended the bellows maximum and took a flashlight and found in the beginning (closer to the lens) couple of small holes .
hope now its gonna be fine after i fixed them

E. von Hoegh
8-May-2012, 11:21
It's a good idea to check the bellows periodically. If they're old, they will likely develop more holes as you continue to use the camera.
It's always a good idea to wrap the darkcloth around the bellows, too.

Vaughn
8-May-2012, 11:51
a put the camera in the dark room extended the bellows maximum and took a flashlight and found in the beginning (closer to the lens) couple of small holes .
hope now its gonna be fine after i fixed them

Great!

A way to double check your repairs is to load a holder with photo paper, put the holder in the camera, keep the lens closed, stretch out the bellows, then pull the darkslide for a long time (out in the sun or bright room). Then develop the piece of paper -- should be white.

adam satushek
8-May-2012, 12:18
Yeah, looks a lot like leaks I had in my sinar 8x10 caused by pinholes in the corners of the bellows. Got a bright led flashlight and some black gasket builder from an auto parts store, and now its good to go.