PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Ilford Warm Tone - what's available?

Kimberly Anderson
7-May-2012, 08:59
I know that SpotTone is no longer around, and finding the stuff is getting pretty difficult. My question is, what are folks using now that really works well. I have been digging in the archives and the newest post is from 2011. Has anyone else come up with anything different/better?

I like the warm tone paper from Ilford and plan to use it into the future. In some ways I feel like I'm starting from scratch having to find some new material to use for spotting. If anyone has a cache hidden anywhere and wants to share, please let me know.

If you kind folks have any secrets or new ideas, sharing them would be tremendous as well.

Thanks!

Drew Wiley
7-May-2012, 11:47
If I knew where there was a cache of SpotTone I sure wouldn't be telling anyone else - I'd
buy it myself! Basic black and sepia spotting dyes are easy enough to find substitutes for,
but not the olive-green color. I sure hope my supply lasts. Somebody needs to unravel the
formula and replicate it!

J. Fada
7-May-2012, 14:34
I have been using the Peerless dry dyes the last few years. They work fine-

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/73300-Peerless-Black-and-White-Dry-Spotting-Dye-Sheet-Set-of-5-colors

They also come in liquid I just noticed-

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/73318-Peerless-Black-and-White-Liquid-Spotting-Dye-Lamp-Black

bob carnie
7-May-2012, 14:36
I have enough to last for the next 20 years and am not parting with mine.

If I knew where there was a cache of SpotTone I sure wouldn't be telling anyone else - I'd
buy it myself! Basic black and sepia spotting dyes are easy enough to find substitutes for,
but not the olive-green color. I sure hope my supply lasts. Somebody needs to unravel the
formula and replicate it!

Kimberly Anderson
7-May-2012, 15:10
Bob you are a brat. How long will you live? Haha. :)

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I saw the Peerless dyes on APUG but hadn't seen a liquid mentioned.

Drew Wiley
7-May-2012, 15:26
The Peerless set doesn't contain a specific color I personally need when working with the
mentioned paper, at least toned.

Joseph Dickerson
7-May-2012, 16:08
Drew,

When the boss at Spotone wanted to retire, he sold the formulae to Marshall's (the oil color folks). Look for Marshall's Spot All.

I don't know which colors are available but I'd think they'd continue with all of them.

JD

Drew Wiley
7-May-2012, 16:20
Thanks. I did buy a set of Marshall's and it didn't have what I needed. Maybe their selection has expanded since. I hate to start mixing my own dyes since the fading characteristics might be different from the tried and true Spotone system.

Steve Sherman
7-May-2012, 16:32
I print almost exclusively on Ilford Warm tone and use a product called Spot Pen. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=92544&is=REG&A=details&Q=
10 premixed pens in varying degrees of density, they do not leave a residue in glancing light like most Spotone dyes do. For Ilford Warm Tone get the standard black & white set, DO NOT GET THE Warm tone pens as they are just too warm, unless you Sepia tone your prints.

Cheers

cdholden
7-May-2012, 16:50
I print almost exclusively on Ilford Warm tone and use a product called Spot Pen. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=92544&is=REG&A=details&Q=
10 premixed pens in varying degrees of density, they do not leave a residue in glancing light like most Spotone dyes do. For Ilford Warm Tone get the standard black & white set, DO NOT GET THE Warm tone pens as they are just too warm, unless you Sepia tone your prints.

Cheers

Steve,
I used the b/w Spot Pens on Galerie 3 glossy prints recently (no toning). They're not obvious, but if you look for it, you can see where it's been used. I had improved results by breathing on the spot and buffing with a chamois to make it less noticeable once it had dried for about 20-30 seconds.

Chris

Steve Sherman
7-May-2012, 17:43
Steve,
I used the b/w Spot Pens on Galerie 3 glossy prints recently (no toning). They're not obvious, but if you look for it, you can see where it's been used. I had improved results by breathing on the spot and buffing with a chamois to make it less noticeable once it had dried for about 20-30 seconds.

Chris

Hi Chris, Occassionally when I do repeated applications to areas needing heavy darkening I do end up rewetting with a clean brush & water and then heat with a small hair dryer and the surface of the print returns to as close to perfect as can be. From my experience these pens are far superior to the old Spotone.

Erik Larsen
7-May-2012, 17:51
I like the spot pens as well. If I have a blemish that I have spotted and it is still obvious then I put the print over a tea kettle and the steam seems to sink the dye into the emulsion making it less noticeable.
Erik

cdholden
7-May-2012, 18:51
Great to know! I never thought of heating the print.

Jim Jones
7-May-2012, 21:27
Years ago I used some Dr. Ph Martin's inks for spotting. although without rigorous testing for fading. They seemed to work well enough. The present Dr. Ph Martin's catalog is a huge download with so many products that I'm lost in it.

Drew Wiley
8-May-2012, 09:16
I did check my Marshall Spot All kit last nite and it only had 3 bottles, so I might have bought the wrong set. They have a five bottle set too. And B&H lists the olive dye by
itself. So I guess all the bases are covered. That's a relief.

Kimberly Anderson
8-May-2012, 10:04
I have a shload to spot, so I'll order me some of the olive Marshall dye and see how it works.

Thanks all.

Steve Sherman
8-May-2012, 15:16
Great to know! I never thought of heating the print.

Years ago I used Portriga Rapid Glossy paper for everything. When allowed to dry on it's own it would dry to a semi matt finish. Let the water sheet off the print so it is not shiny any longer but still very moist and into the oven @ 200 degrees for about 3 minutes and gloss is superior to any air dried glossy paper. You can do the same trick with any glossy paper to increase the gloss. The dry mount press will diminish to some degree the high gloss.

Cheers

Kimberly Anderson
8-May-2012, 20:39
Well I did some digging and found some old Olive Spottone. I have two bottles with about .25 oz. each. This will last a little while at least.