PDA

View Full Version : 14x17 photographic paper??

pbryld
6-May-2012, 15:02
I am in the middle of buying a 14x17 camera from a very nice guy on these forums.

I was planning on doing paper and/or X-ray negatives, but it seems there is no 14x17 photographic paper available?

Can this be true? If so, if one want to use a 14x17 camera, can it only be used for alternative techniques (and scanning)?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Fitzgerald
6-May-2012, 15:17
You can buy film on the Ilford ULF special order run, x-ray film which is very cheap paper negatives and more than likely something I missed. I shoot film and x-ray film with great success. Cut down 16x20 paper.

Andrew O'Neill
6-May-2012, 15:21
I use 14x17 xray primarily for carbon transfer printing. Lots of people contact print xray onto gelatin silver papers, so it's not just for alt printing. Just taylor it to fit your paper's density range.
I think you'll find that xray film is much cheaper than working with paper negatives.... and you'll have to trim them to fit your holder. I would never dream of scanning in a 14x17 negative... unless I had such a scanner!:)

pbryld
7-May-2012, 10:43
Ah yes, X-Ray is a lot cheaper than the paper, but I just love the look of the paper :) Though, I'll just stick to using film for negatives given that 14x17 paper doesn't exist.

I was so worked up about my discovery I didn't realise I could just use a bigger paper. Good idea. Or make a prints slightly smaller than the negative (thus cropping some of the photo).

Thanks for the help guys :)