PDA

View Full Version : DIY shutter release doohickey

jonreid
5-May-2012, 23:47
Hi all,

See pics of my 121 Super Angulon's ridiculous shutter release on the Synchro Compur shutter. When I agreed to buy it, from a forum member, it was on a lensboard with a little attachment. When it arrived it was sans board and attachment. Obviously I can't connect a cable release to it and I'm fluffing shots trying to trip it at times.

I had a local fella try to weld some stainless steel rod onto the end of a cable release. It worked when testing but turns out the cable release wasn't stainless and it just burnt away.

There are some DIYers on this board, someone must have a solution....

Jon73199

Zewrak
6-May-2012, 00:10
Glue a piece of lego or the less cool piece of wood in the lensboard next to the lever. Take an old shutter release cable and bend the end 90 degrees and put it inside the hole of the lever. Glue the cover of cable to the piece if lego.

jonreid
6-May-2012, 00:24
I tried bending an old cable release but they all want to retract too far. That was why I wanted to get one extended.

Zewrak
6-May-2012, 00:31
Did you try to heat it before bending? Anyways, tried to put a small screw thru the hole and hold the wire between 2 nuts?

IanG
6-May-2012, 01:28
I'd buy a cable release adapter and make something, see this B&H page (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=shutter+Cable+Release+Adapter&N=0&InitialSearch=yes). A Kaiser cable release adapter could be attached to a small piece of wood on the lens board and then a small piece of metal for the release to strike attached to the shutter release using a small nut and bolt. DIY but no glueing and possible damage to the lens shutter release.

Ian

jonreid
6-May-2012, 01:51
Ian, you genius! You're a poor speller but I finally got your drift. The cable release doesn't have to attach to that lever, just 'strike' it or something attached to it. The lever itself is sprung so the shutter shouldn't remain open after the cable release is erm released.

Cheers!,

Jon

jonreid
6-May-2012, 02:18
This appears to be the same as the Kaiser, and it's Gepe, and cheaper. Sorry for the mobile site link.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200752962151&index=14&nav=SEARCH&nid=77572818510
Item number 200752962151 if that link doesn't work.

Jon

IanG
6-May-2012, 02:51
I seem to remember adapters with less of a bend when I bought mine about 3 or 4 years ago but I can't find them online, what you raelly need is something like on this Linhof board (http://www.shopping.com/Linhof-Linhof-Recessed-Technika-45-Lensboard-with--001015/info). I did have one but sold it with it's board.

Why don't you try placing a wanted advert for a "Linhof Cable Release Quick socket for a Compur Shutter".

Ian

jonreid
6-May-2012, 03:06
Not sure what you were linking to Ian. Got a page of about 7 Linhof lens boards. Do the Linhof quick release thingys have something that pokes out of the bottom of them?

I'll place an ad like you suggested. See what comes of it.

Jon

Steve Smith
6-May-2012, 03:32
Ian, you genius! You're a poor speller...

Which word didn't you like the spelling of? I'm usually fairly intolerant of poor spelling but nothing in Ian's post offends me!

Steve.

jonreid
6-May-2012, 03:35
He's fixed it!

IanG
6-May-2012, 03:37
Not sure what you were linking to Ian. Got a page of about 7 Linhof lens boards. Do the Linhof quick release thingys have something that pokes out of the bottom of them?

I'll place an ad like you suggested. See what comes of it.

Jon

Yes there's a a rod that fits into that shutter release, sorry the images weren't very clear.

I realised I tap the release arms on the Thornton Pickard shutters I restore, doesn't need to be a tapered thread. I think a little brass L shape screwed to the lens board tapped to take a cable release and someting attached to the release arm wiuld be very easy to make. Something like this:

It's the typing tha'ts the problem usually not the spelling :D

Ian

jonreid
6-May-2012, 03:45
Steve calls me out for criticising you and I look back to see it all spelt perfectly! Thought I was going mad.

Tapping stuff is beyond me but you've given me some good ideas Ian.

IanG
6-May-2012, 03:54
Steve calls me out for criticising you and I look back to see it all spelt perfectly! Thought I was going mad.

No you were quite corrects it was full of typos :D That's what the edit functions for :)

I see you got an instant reply from Bob Salomon. Price may be a big issue. Drilling and tapping brass is actually very simple but I'm sure someone could make it for you if needed. I've had new springs and parts made at small machine shops in the past.

Ian

Steve Smith
6-May-2012, 03:59

So did I!

Tapping is quite easy but not always necessary. At work, I make quite a few assembly and test jigs using PVC plastic sheet (lots used in my 6x12 camera, link below). Quite often, I will drill a 2.5mm hole and put an M3 screw into it without tapping it first.

Obviously you will need to tap a thread if metal is used but I don't think it's necessary in this case.

Another option is to use a piece of an old camera or shutter with the cable release thread already fitted. A scrap 35mm camera with a thread in the shutter release could be stripped down for parts.

Steve.

jonreid
6-May-2012, 04:11
Thanks Ian and Steve.

I've got some ideas to play with now. I'll bump the thread if I get stuck

Jim Jones
6-May-2012, 08:14
Here is a simple way of adding a cable release for one of the new cameras that doesn't provide such a necessity.