PDA

View Full Version : Need a good cable release

cosmicexplosion
4-May-2012, 19:54
My cheap Chinese ones keep breaking, suprise suprise, and I need to know of a good brand or place to procure, who do I turn to?

Cheers
Andrew

Frank Petronio
4-May-2012, 20:20
Gepe is a good brand with a wide selection, I like short cloth ones with disc locks and rotating threads myself.

Roger Thoms
4-May-2012, 20:30
I have been using a Nikon AR-3, a Linhoff, and just got a Gepe from Fred at the View Camera Store. I have had the Nikon the longest, very well made, and I bought a second one as a spare a little while back when I noticed that they where still made in Japan. The Nikon is probably my favorite. The Linhoff came with a camera I bought and is also very nice but to expensive for me to buy new. No doubt the Linhoff will last a long time. The Gepe is my most recent and is very well made and heavy duty, works especiallly well on the body release on my Speed Graphic. The Gepe is made in Germany and I feel it will also last for a long time.

Roger

John Kasaian
4-May-2012, 20:41
I like Gepes. They've got a nice long throw that fires my double action shutters such as Ilex Universals.

Thom Bennett
4-May-2012, 20:54
Best one I've used:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89919-REG/Hama_HA_5309_Cable_Release_Pro_Cloth.html

cosmicexplosion
4-May-2012, 21:17
Great thanks very much

Valdecus
4-May-2012, 22:13
A great source for German made cable releases is Gebrueder Schreck:
http://www.drahtauslöser.com/ESITE/

They are shipping world-wide for less than 10 Euros.

I own a couple of their releases and especially like the professional version:
http://www.xn--drahtauslser-djb.com/cgi-bin/vccgi?sid=0&order=grepTree&Leaf=//Cloth/Professional&client=schreckshopE&frame=_top

If I am not mistaken, I believe they are actually producing cable releases for some of the major camera makers and accessory brands.

Cheers,
Andreas

mjr
5-May-2012, 00:43
Valdecus is right. These are by far the best ones I`ve ever had. Three months ago I bought from them and received the shipment in 4 days (Spain).
The Professional ones fit just right in the linhof anatomical grip of the Technika.

Bob Salomon
5-May-2012, 04:28
That is the Gepe Profi Release

Robert Skeoch
5-May-2012, 05:32
The best one I've used is the Ebony. Made by the people who make the Ebony cameras.
I'm sure your local Ebony dealer can get you one.
I have one on each of my lenses.

anglophone1
6-May-2012, 10:44
Valdecus is right. These are by far the best ones I`ve ever had. Three months ago I bought from them and received the shipment in 4 days (Spain).
The Professional ones fit just right in the linhof anatomical grip of the Technika.
+1
Great for extensions and adapters too....

evan clarke
6-May-2012, 11:50
I agree with Rob, the Ebony is the best and I've had all those others. I've been using the same one for 6 or 7 uears...

Lachlan 717
6-May-2012, 14:10
How on earth do you break multiple cables?

The only issue I've ever had was the plastic tubing on one slipped from one end of the cable. I pushed it back on and put a but of Gaffer tape on it and it's worked ever since.

All of mine are cheap, 100cm Chinese-sourced cables.

desertrat
6-May-2012, 15:44
Well, mine isn't exactly a cable release, but it does have a short length of cable on the end. I bought a Rowi pneumatic release on Ebay. It might be NOS because it looks new and shows no signs of use, but it's old enough the bulb was solidly petrified. This is the model with the long narrow cylinder and a section of cable release permanently attached. I wrapped a narrow strip of tape around the tiny hose nipple on the cylinder to build up the diameter. This way I could use it with the 1/8" fuel/vacuum hose and modified blood pressure cuff bulb that I use with my pneumatic shutters. The Rowi fires a Betax #4 with ease. I use it now instead of a cable release.

TheDeardorffGuy
6-May-2012, 16:01
I too use pneumatics. I use the DeGroff air release pistons. Since I have a few different shutters I need a tapered, straight and a Wollansak external thread. I seldom use a cable release.

evan clarke
6-May-2012, 16:03
How on earth do you break multiple cables?

The only issue I've ever had was the plastic tubing on one slipped from one end of the cable. I pushed it back on and put a but of Gaffer tape on it and it's worked ever since.

All of mine are cheap, 100cm Chinese-sourced cables.

The threads break off on the cheap ones. I guess it depends on how often you photograph, I use my release several times every day..lot of threading and unthreading.

Lachlan 717
6-May-2012, 16:18
The threads break off on the cheap ones. I guess it depends on how often you photograph, I use my release several times every day..lot of threading and unthreading.

At only a couple of dollars each, I bought enough to have one on each lens. As such, I leave one attached to all but my Copal 3 shutters (as they have the perpendicular mounting hole, not the horizontal ones found on the smaller shutters).

Never had a problem, and I shoot with them a lot.

Frank Petronio
6-May-2012, 17:03
I'm of the school of thought that if I can streamline things so I don't have to screw that tiny cable release in each time then it saves me time and lessens the risk of damage through handling. I've gone so far as to use Blue Loctite to hold short releases onto lenses, and now I am starting to look enviously at that Linhof Quick Release cable system.

Corran
6-May-2012, 18:07
I've got dozens of cable releases from ebay in small lots of 5-10, used. They always go cheap because they usually don't have name brands listed on the subject line, so people don't find them. I've gotten a half-dozen releases before for $2 or so.

Usually in the lots are a few or more quality releases. I've gotten a lot of Bronica-branded ones that are very nice. I've gotten a couple of excellent Nikon AR-2 releases in these lots for barely any money.

Seems worth it to me to watch a couple auctions rather than paying big money for new releases.

John Kasaian
6-May-2012, 19:21
Mine are all Gepes with a single Minette in the works. When the time comes I'll replace it with a Gepe too. I like 'em and think they're well worth the $$

Bob Salomon
7-May-2012, 05:07
Seems worth it to me to watch a couple auctions rather than paying big money for new releases.

Do you really think that if one is shooting large format that a list price of $19.99 (retailer discount from this price) for a Gepe 20" cloth release with a rotating tip and a Zeiss disk Lock is "big money"?

Or $27.99 for a PVC covered one with the same features?

Corran
7-May-2012, 09:38
I've got something like 10 LF lenses, so that would be $200-$300 for cable releases.

Yes, I do think that's big money for something so simple and easily found on the used market for about 1/10th the cost. I understand others will just pony up but I like to get a deal. It's kind of the same mentality that leads me to buy Technika-type lens boards on ebay for $13 each rather than genuine Linhof ones for however much they go for, which is a rip-off.

I have a nice collection of LF gear, but I wouldn't have even 1/3 as much if I bought everything new. Everyone knows the little accessories get marked up like 400%. Who wouldn't buy them slightly used for almost nothing?

E. von Hoegh
7-May-2012, 09:46
Do you really think that if one is shooting large format that a list price of $19.99 (retailer discount from this price) for a Gepe 20" cloth release with a rotating tip and a Zeiss disk Lock is "big money"?

Or $27.99 for a PVC covered one with the same features?

I have several lenses in shutters that will not accept a modern threaded cable release of any kind.
I've been using pneumatic releases for this reason.

John Kasaian
7-May-2012, 10:02
I've got something like 10 LF lenses, so that would be $200-$300 for cable releases.

Yes, I do think that's big money for something so simple and easily found on the used market for about 1/10th the cost. I understand others will just pony up but I like to get a deal. It's kind of the same mentality that leads me to buy Technika-type lens boards on ebay for $13 each rather than genuine Linhof ones for however much they go for, which is a rip-off.

I have a nice collection of LF gear, but I wouldn't have even 1/3 as much if I bought everything new. Everyone knows the little accessories get marked up like 400%. Who wouldn't buy them slightly used for almost nohing?

I'm extremely frugal (a nice way of saying "Ch**p B*st*rd) but some things are worth spending a little money on, and often it's the small stuff ("...for want of a nail" etc...) I'd rather have a couple of good cables and switch them between lenses than a dozen junk cables that may fail at any time. Of course, lots of cheap cables are convenient, but if and when they break, well one can't really complain about it----after all they are throwaway cheapies. Find a quality cheap cable however and you'll be whistling Dixie:) Considering all that a cable does, I don't think $20 or so isn't out of line. Besides junk you have to throw away isn't exactly cheap and if it causes you to miss the shot, its not efficient. Also if you are buying used stuff, a used quality cable release is what to look for. Used throwaway stuff is just that much closer to being thrown away while used quality professional gear is likely just getting broken in!
While I personally can't justify the cost of a "designer" cable release, Gepes are by comparison very reasonably priced.
Once a year, I'll either add or take one item in my kit or dark room and try to upgrade it (print washer, light box, cable release, loupe, filter holder, light meter etc...) with a better version. Over the course of a decade I've been able to transition into better, more reliable gear without breaking the bank.

Corran
7-May-2012, 10:14
Like I mentioned in my previous posts, I've gotten Nikon AR-2 releases for a buck each, and a lot of Bronica-labeled releases that are of superb quality and have been a treat to use. I am NOT talking about cheap Chinese releases, which I have had and have broken the threads off of.

Used, high-quality releases are easily found on ebay, that's my point.

Drew Wiley
7-May-2012, 10:38
There's nothing cheap about a cheap cable release. Unfortunately, the camera shop in town doesn't stock good ones anymore, and the last time one jammed up it locked open
my shutter and ruined a sheet of 8X10 film - in fact spoiled my shot of the day with no
backup film! Then I've had plenty of times I had to use the tip of the Phillips screwdriver on
my Swiss Army knife like an easy-out to remove a broken cable tip. I'd rather spend the
money up front. So I appreciate the tips on where to acquire better cable releases.

Moopheus
7-May-2012, 11:06

How many do you actually use at one time? For myself, I'd rather have one or two dependable releases (I got a nice DeGroff on ebay) and switch it around than worry about crap cables. But then, I don't have ten LF lenses. I mean, the whole LF process is slow enough that a couple of seconds to screw in the cable doesn't make much difference.

Corran
7-May-2012, 11:33
Perhaps you guys aren't understanding what I'm saying. I'll try again:

All of my cable releases are HIGH QUALITY name-brand cables, NOT cheap Chinese ones, and they all were purchased for $2 or less apiece on eBay.

They include Bronica, Nikon, Gepe, and other brands.

I AM NOT advocated getting a pile of those cheap junk releases. I have had them and the threads do indeed break off.

If you want to spend $20/release, more power to you. I'd rather purchase more film. And personally, I like to have cables for all my lenses so I don't have to scramble to find one as the light fades. Besides, like I said, they only cost like $2, and are readily available used on eBay, even really nice ones.

I hope that clears it up.

Frank Petronio
7-May-2012, 12:26
Oh come on it's just a bunch of old farts joshing with you -- we all know you're just shilling for jinfinance or zenoybiHK on eBay... ;-p

evan clarke
7-May-2012, 13:24
At only a couple of dollars each, I bought enough to have one on each lens. As such, I leave one attached to all but my Copal 3 shutters (as they have the perpendicular mounting hole, not the horizontal ones found on the smaller shutters).

Never had a problem, and I shoot with them a lot.

I'm sure Leaving them on the lens is a lot less stressful on them, it's the constant screwing and unscrewing that wears them out. I've been lucky with this Ebony and I have an uneasy feeling about having a release wrapped around the lens in the bag.. The OP said he wants a good cable release and there's not one better than the Ebony.

cosmicexplosion
7-May-2012, 17:23
I have had 3 or 4 Chinese ones break or go missing.
Usually the bit your thumb pushes screws off and disappears or I don't know but I do know I hate cheap Chinese tools with a passion.
They caused me to go out into the field the other day and had to manually release shutter

And then there is the I don't have one period.

Last week at work I only had cheap Chinese tin snips and it ruined the whole day

Next day I bought some good ones and life was a breeze. The pain caused and the downtime made those cheap ones actually cost hundreds. Plus stress. The good ones cost $35

I am also mOre than happy to pay $2 and not $30
I will do a looky look

John Kasaian
7-May-2012, 23:38
I've got nothing against quality used gear, in fact nearly all my stuff is used. If I were in the market for a cable release and found a used Gepe, Degroff, Ebony or Linhof in good shape for a buck or two I'd certainly grab it (unless the shipping was $20!)