PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening In Durango, Colo--photographically???

Raymond Bleesz
4-May-2012, 06:57
I just spent a few hours in downtown, Durango yesterday & had a chance to visit the Open Shutter Gallery as I have been aware of this gallery for some time, but have not had the opportunity to check it out. (The gallery has had previous exhibits, juried shows which I have taken note of.)

Although perhaps not devoted totally to large format photography, the gallery is to be noted. Presently, an exhibition of work done by Joey Lawrence, a Canadian, entitled, "Holy Men" is being shown.

The gallery, in an old brick wooden rafters building dating from the late 1800's, with a bank vault within the gallery, is nicely organized with a good selection of photo books, cards, photo bins and noteworthy prints towards the rear of the gallery. There are of course a few more photo galleries in Durango selling typical "post card" photos, ie. elk, aspen groves, train images, but Open Shutter is intellectually worthy to check out. (www.openshuttergallery.com).

Happy Trails,

Raymond, in the Vail Valley, Edwards

al olson
4-May-2012, 14:07
Thanks, Raymond, for your observation. I don't know how close you live to Durango, is it in Vail? I like to support the Open Shutter and the owner, Margy (pronounced with a hard 'g') Dudley who is very supportive of the photographers in the area as well as putting on some great shows. A number of the names you might recognize are:
Steve McCurry
Gunnar Conrad
Jay Dusard
Tony Stromberg
Thomas Carr
Cara Weston
Claude Steelman
Edward S. Curtis
Elliott Erwitt
Hal Gould
Edward Weston
Brett Weston
Cole Weston
Kim Weston
Paul Capanigro
to name a few.

Then there a number of group shows with less recognizable names. They are highly critical of the work they select. As I said, Open Shutter is very supportive of not only the great names, but also to give recognition to local photographers as well. I would highly recommend for anyone passing through Durango to look into the Open Shutter (it is right on main street) to see what they may be showing.

Kimberly Anderson
4-May-2012, 14:13
Very cool. I'll be in Durango visiting the family farm (in Red Mesa) and doing some photography later this spring. I will have to stop in and say hi.

Raymond Bleesz
4-May-2012, 19:32
Al, Thank you for the feed back--I especially wanted to know who the impetus/monies was behind Open Shutter--I am not familiar with Margy Dudley. I am aware of all the names you mentioned, especially Hal Gould, who has been a mentor of mine since 1976---and I have a good number of his prints which I have purchased over the years in my home. I recently contacted Hal who was having a video "review" of himself at the time of my brief visit earlier this Spring in Denver. I so miss his gallery, the Camera Obscura. I mentioned knowing the majority of those people you named, but I also have had contact with Thomas Carr, and a good number of Front Rangers, however, although I have seen your name & a few posts, I am not aware of you.

This am, I posted a note to the residing photographer at the Open Shutter Gallery, Paul Boyer---introducing myself & asking who was behind the Open Shutter et al. No response as yet.

In Colo, there is limited "real photographic galleries of note" since Hal closed down his gallery. During the last few years, I have noted the Open Shutter Gallery---I think it is a fine addition to the Colo photo scene, and perhaps as we move into the future, I may submit material worthy of the gallery's high standards.

As most photographers, as well as being self taught myself, we all have an exlective background including myself--that being an educator as well as being involved in the fashion business. I am a member of the following: The Center For Fine Art Photography in Fort Collins, Working With Artists as well as the Colo Photo Arts Center in Denver. My work runs the gamet of 35 to 4x5, mostly BW, and I'm in tune with the 20th century classic photographic movement/styles/peoples, ie. "straight photography, "documentary" et al.

Perhaps our trails will cross.

Raymond A. Bleesz
Histographer/fine art photographer
Edwards (formally from Georgetown, the Silver Queen of the West), Colo, in the Vail Valley

al olson
5-May-2012, 08:15
Raymond,

I first discovered The Open Shutter when I moved to Pagosa Springs in 2004. (Durango is the 'big city' for us where we go for medical and to get about anything we can't buy in the local grocery store.) At that time the gallery was located in a small one-story frame building on Second Avenue. Sometime around 2006 or 2007, Margy and her husband bought the old bank building on Main Avenue. They gutted the building, cleaned the brick walls and installed the gallery. They also installed solar panels on the roof so that the building is electrically self-sufficient.

Among her interests, Margy is a collector and has an amazing private collection in back storage. On occasion, some of these pieces may be displayed to fill in other shows. She is also an excellent photographer, but seldom exhibits her work and never for a show. Her manager, Brandon Donahue, is the man responsible for arranging these shows and it is Brandon who makes contact with the photographers or their estates.

Paul Boyer is a tenant in the gallery. I haven't seen Paul the last couple of times I stopped by and forgot to ask his whereabouts. Paul operates workshops in Newfoundland and in Tuscany so he is often out of the country.

The Hal Gould exhibit was shown at the time he announced the closing of The Camera Obscura. It was a wonderful collection of his work. Coincidentally, View Camera did a feature on Hal at that time.

Greg Y
6-May-2012, 07:54
Thanks for the info. Durango is a great place. I'll be passing through there coming back from Santa Fe & will have to drop by the gallery.