PDA

View Full Version : cleaning and lubricating 4 X 5 Grafmatic holders?

Mark Nowaczynski
17-Jan-2004, 13:35
I recently aquired some 4 X 5 Grafmatic holders.

They are in good condition but could use a good cleaning and some lubrication. I have wiped all the surfaces with medical alcohol pads and then vacuumed them for dust removal.

What is the best material to use for lubrication and where should it be applied in addition to the sides of the inside drawer?

Regards,

David A. Goldfarb
17-Jan-2004, 14:03
I don't think they should be lubricated at all. My Grafmatics came from various sources, and none have any lubricant. I'd be concerned about getting the lubricant on the film, either during loading and unloading or just by migration. I think you just need to keep them clean.

steve simmons
17-Jan-2004, 18:36
I don't think they should be lubricated at all. My Grafmatics came from various sources, and none have any lubricant. I'd be concerned about getting the lubricant on the film, either during loading and unloading or just by migration. I think you just need to keep them clean.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree. I've used these for 20 years and never lubricated them. Just keep them clean.

steve simmons

Mark Nowaczynski
17-Jan-2004, 19:09
What is the best way to clean them?

Thanks for the ongoing input.

Regards,

wfwhitaker
17-Jan-2004, 21:38
I have used Elmer's Slide-All to lubricate my Grafmatics. It's worked very effectively and I've had no problem with it getting onto film. Slide-All consists of microscopic Teflon particles suspended in an aerosol base. It dries quickly leaving a thin Teflon film. Overspray is easy to see on the dark Grafmatic holder and can be wiped off. The Grafmatics I had were stiff and difficult to use. After a light cleaning and careful lubrication they worked very smoothly.

Your mileage may vary. As others have noted, be very careful spraying lubricants around cameras and such. But it worked great for me.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Jan-2004, 22:38
I just dust them out with an anti-static brush. Occasionally, I'll inspect the septums more carefully to be sure they're all staying flat. If they aren't working smoothly, it could be wear or just as likely a bent septum.

Alan Waddington
18-Jan-2004, 03:00
I recently bought my first Grafmatic and was dismayed with the performance, it would work fine for a few septum swaps, and then jam unexpectedly, i stripped it a few times and examined all the parts closely to no avail, there was no regular pattern to the jamming at all. In the end, out of sheer frustration, i decided lubricant was worth a try, so i cleaned each septum and the sliding parts of the holder with household spray polish (Mr Sheen) & then buffed them with a lint free duster. This seems to have cured the problem, and although i have yet to process any film from the post lubricated holder, i will be suprised if the polish contaminates the film as it leaves no obvious residue.

Henry Ambrose
18-Jan-2004, 06:15
Mine definitely work better after cleaning and lubing. I used a teflon lube (GT85) that completely dries. I put very tiny drops of this stuff on all the wear points, worked the parts together and then re-assembled the holders. There is no build up and nothing to contaminate the film. A little wax might work well too but I have not tried that. I do not lube the septums which is the only part of a Grafmatic that touches the film.

David A. Goldfarb
18-Jan-2004, 06:23
If the septums are flat, there's no grit in the holder, there are no screws loose, and you're still experiencing jamming, it may be a technique issue. I find they advance most smoothly when the holder is upright and perpendicular to the ground. If the holder is pointing downward (i.e., flat with respect to the ground) while the film is being advanced, gravity can interfere.

Francisco_3891
9-Feb-2004, 16:51
Hi there, do you know the best source to buy some Grafmatics in very good condition? Thanks in advance for your answers.