PDA

View Full Version : Calling moderators at home about forum business.......grrrrrrr

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 13:46
This is absolutely NOT cool. It is becoming increasingly common of late. This forum negatively impacts my personal life way too much as it is without having to deal with phone calls and messages left on my answering machine. There is absolutely NOTHING happening on this forum that is so urgent that it requires this kind of invasion of my home life.

Darin Boville
2-May-2012, 13:56
I know about this first hand in another context. People have no qualms about burning up your time with their burning issues.

One good thing is that as a result I've largely stopped--and got out of the habit--of answering my phone. :)

--Darin

Kevin Crisp
2-May-2012, 13:56
Hard to believe anybody would do that, so sorry to hear it.

Heroique
2-May-2012, 13:59
Wow, not cool, at least they’re not knocking on the front door (yet)!

Mark Sawyer
2-May-2012, 14:06
Agreed, and it's sad that it has to be said. For all the bluster of disagreements, it's just a forum, people talking...

Brian C. Miller
2-May-2012, 14:11
*bug-eyed surprise not-a-smiley*

Suspend them. No logins to the forum at all for a week. They're grounded.
Heck, if I wanted to get a moderator's attention, I'd send home-roasted coffee if a PM didn't suffice. Current coffee is from Costa Rica, India, and Bangladesh (the last two are both monsooned).

darr
2-May-2012, 14:13
:mad: :mad: :mad:

You idiots leave the Moderators alone.
I think there should be a published policy against this with immediate forum banning if someone does this form of harassment.
My 2 cents.

PS: Sorry that Kirk (and is family at home) has had to deal with these kinds of RUDE people.

Frank Petronio
2-May-2012, 14:18
When I ran my little obnoxious forum people called in death threats at home.

There is nothing on an amateur social forum that couldn't be addressed in a few hundreds words as an email. Anything beyond that is rude.

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 14:18
thanks all.

Let me be clear please. I have a lot of friends on this forum and I welcome their calls anytime. Oftentimes the forum comes up in conversation. That IS cool. But calling me up because you want your thread moderated IS NOT f*****g cool. Ken got the same call and he is on vacation.

Sal Santamaura
2-May-2012, 14:47
...I think there should be a published policy against this with immediate forum banning if someone does this form of harassment....+1,000,000,000,000,000...

Make it a no-warning, permanent, lifetime ban, under any and all future different user names! Put it in the user agreement and don't look back.

Harley Goldman
2-May-2012, 15:00
I completely agree, Kirk. That is WAY outta line.

Roger Cole
2-May-2012, 15:04
Don't blame you at all for being upset. I'd go ballistic.

But how are they getting your number? Phone book/listing? I've always had unlisted and forget that everyone doesn't. (I've always thought this was a form of legalized extortion on the part of the phone companies, "we have information about you and we're going to publish it unless you pay us more money." That's spelled E-X-T-O-R-T in my view. It ought to cost extra to have it published.)

mikebarger
2-May-2012, 15:05
What goes through some people's mind....or... I guess doesn't go through their mind....

What a waste; agree with some type of banishment.

Mike

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 15:07
Thanks guys.

Roger,
They are getting my number from my business website. Since I work out of my home, I get the call at home.

Colin Graham
2-May-2012, 15:15
Yeah, I used to get some odd calls when my home number was up on my web site. That got old, so I removed it. I can't really expect everyone to know what I will consider a welcome phone call.

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 15:24
I can't really expect everyone to know what I will consider a welcome phone call.
Seriously? I wouldn't think it was appropriate unless it was posted here for members to use. See all those comments above? Somehow they figured it out.

I need my phone number there. That is how I oftentimes hear from prospective clients. Its my BUSINESS website and BUSINESS phone. Some prospective clients prefer email and some prefer calling. I'd be shooting myself in the foot to remove it. Yes sometimes I get random yahoos calling about stupid stuff. I can't control that, but with this site I can.

We are discussing new regs and bans.

Frank Petronio
2-May-2012, 15:32
Even worse when they call your 800 number at $0.25/minute!

Leigh
2-May-2012, 15:36
Absolutely! First call = permanent ban.

Second (or subsequent) call from the same person... get the cops involved.

There's no excuse for anyone putting that high a value on his ruminations on this or any forum.

- Leigh

Colin Graham
2-May-2012, 15:36
Seriously? I wouldn't think it was appropriate unless it was posted here for members to use. See all those comments above? Somehow they figured it out.

I need my phone number there. That is how I oftentimes hear from prospective clients. Its my BUSINESS website and BUSINESS phone. Some prospective clients prefer email and some prefer calling. I'd be shooting myself in the foot to remove it. Yes sometimes I get random yahoos calling about stupid stuff. I can't control that, but with this site I can.

Don't project on what I wrote. I'm just relaying an experience. Nowhere did I suggest that you do the same thing.

Anyway, 'all the comments above' that you reference don't really sway one way or the other, not with the limited info available. Typical bandwagon/witch trail hysterics most forums are known for.

eddie
2-May-2012, 15:53
They are getting my number from my business website. Since I work out of my home, I get the call at home.

HHHMMMM?!?!??

hey kirk,

your phone is ringing! go answer it! i wanna talk to you ........

i know you are there.......

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 15:53
Don't project on what I wrote. I'm just relaying an experience. Nowhere did I suggest that you do the same thing.

Hmmmm.I must have misunderstood your point. I assume you posted your experience because it had some relevance to the situation here. Otherwise.............?

eddie
2-May-2012, 16:01
HHHMMMM?!?!??

hey kirk,

your phone is ringing! go answer it! i wanna talk to you ........

i know you are there.......

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 16:03
You however, Eddie, deserve a special unique punishment.:)

Eric Rose
2-May-2012, 16:04
Wankers!!

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 16:05
I've always meant to ask this. Define "wankers".

Colin Graham
2-May-2012, 16:17
Well, it was just a 'hey, that reminds me of the time something similar happened to me' moment. Feel free to delete the comment if you think it has no use here. Otherwise...

Hmmmm.I must have misunderstood your point. I assume you posted your experience because it had some relevance to the situation here. Otherwise.............?

Gary Tarbert
2-May-2012, 16:22
Kirk,I am glad you asked the word "Wanker" is more commonly used Down under than in the US you guys prefer "Jerk" or "Jerk off"It is used to describe someone full of their own self importance, a person who brags a lot can be described as a "wanker"but the original meaning was used to describe a person who masterbates a lot . Hope this clears it up Cheers Gary;)

Frank Petronio
2-May-2012, 16:39
I'm a humble wanker then.

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2012, 16:45
I never answer my phone unless I recognize the number. If the call is important enough then they'll leave a message. Otherwise, I don't care. But... I still have to filter through unwanted phone SPAM.

Regards to members here calling... some folks are just clueless. I've messed up a few times in my posts but never intruded on anyone's personal time.

That type of thing should have one warning... no more.

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 16:52
You are missing the point. I don't care one wit whether they get me on the phone or leave a message. They have no business calling the moderators about forum business. Do you see our phone numbers published here for members to utilize? No? What does that mean? You got forum business? Use the forum to contact us. If we don't get back to you right away, it means we are BUSY with our real life. Not good enough? Tough. Take a deep breath and chill.

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2012, 16:57
Kirk, I didn't miss the point. I often post too much or impertinent information. Please read the last sentence of my post... I think it portrays my opinion pretty clearly. ;)

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 16:59
Thanks for adding that.

Bill_1856
2-May-2012, 17:15
WHO was the insensitive jerk who called you? Publish his name, don't just whine about it.

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2012, 17:17
Kirk isn't whining. He's bitching. Only sissies whine. Real men bitch.

Roger Cole
2-May-2012, 17:22
Absolutely! First call = permanent ban.

- Leigh

That's a little - no, a lot extreme. As far as I've noticed it isn't posted anywhere in the rules nor even mentioned until this thread, and even if it is or goes into the rules no one reads all that boilerplate. While I, you, Kirk and many others may instantly think "that's ridiculous!" not everyone is going to know that right off. You want to permanently ban someone for a phone call they may not have known they weren't supposed to make?

What is not extreme is asking them once to not call you, then banning them if they do.

I never answer my phone unless I recognize the number. If the call is important enough then they'll leave a message. Otherwise, I don't care. But... I still have to filter through unwanted phone SPAM.

Regards to members here calling... some folks are just clueless. I've messed up a few times in my posts but never intruded on anyone's personal time.

That type of thing should have one warning... no more.

I do the same thing, and that's fine, but doesn't work for a business number. Kirk has a business number to do business. When he sees a number he doesn't recognize it could be a client wanting to hire him, not a forum wanker. ;)

Agree about one warning.

Kirk isn't whining. He's bitching. Only sissies whine. Real men bitch.

Rock on! :D

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2012, 17:41
^^^ Yeah, that's true about having to answer all calls on a business number. I was thinking of a personal number... sometimes I'm really brain-dead. One receives enough crap calls on a business line without this too. Must be a real PITA.

Leigh
2-May-2012, 18:45
You want to permanently ban someone for a phone call they may not have known they weren't supposed to make?
What is not extreme is asking them once to not call you, then banning them if they do.
Banned... Yes, for making an unwarranted call and disturbing an individual for no reason.
Permanently... Yes, as a reward for a grossly inflated ego and sense of self-importance.

As for telling them once not to do it again... How many thousand members do we have?

I'm a moderator on another forum.
The owner has a business, and has made it quite clear that users are NOT to call, under pain of banishment.
He doesn't get calls from forum members (other than his friends, acquaintances, and business associates).

- Leigh

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2012, 18:51
I don't agree. Give them one chance. Inflated egos? That's a two-way street and controlled by those with power.

I think most of us fully understand how stupid it is to bother anyone off-forum unless it's business, family or friends.

What some of us fail to understand is that many of us really do make truly stupid mistakes without inflated egos. Inflated egos can, however, make many of us feel superior to others.

Oops... I posted my unbridled opinion again.

Capocheny
2-May-2012, 19:10
Who'd have thought people would have had the gall to call you at home on forum-related matters?

But then, there's no accounting for ignorant people with egocentric personalities!

Best to you Kirk.

Cheers

Old-N-Feeble
2-May-2012, 19:14
^^^ "Ignorance" does not equal "evil". Some folks "get hurt" very easily... I don't understand why... they just do. And they seem to need "cuddling". They're just immature and child-like... not evil. I often think they're just plain stupid... even more so than I am in my late physically degenerative state.

Give them one chance.

BTW, I really don't like brown-nosing to anyone. But... I guess that's pretty obvious.

Cheers

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2012, 19:36
enough-point made

Thanks everyone.