PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts or stories on hiking ZNP's The Narrows...

John Kasaian
29-Apr-2012, 07:17
with a field camera?

JWebb
29-Apr-2012, 07:29
You may want to look up Ben Horne's Blog, I believe that he has hiked the narrows and normally will keep a video journal of the hikes. Works with 8x10

eric black
29-Apr-2012, 07:35
Ive done it without much of a problem shooting outside of having people walk around a bend at an unfortunate time. Water levels each time I did it allowed for most of the small beaches to be exposed enough to place packs on them without getting in the way of other hikers- last time I did, it I went in with anothe LF friend and we helped out each other by sending a scout forward to kindly ask people to wait a second (which everyone did) and got some great exposures without people inadvertantly walking into them. My gear was an abbreviated 4x5 kit with wide to normal lenses.

Photo Dave
29-Apr-2012, 07:48
And when is the best time of year?

Light Guru
29-Apr-2012, 09:11
You may want to look up Ben Horne's Blog, I believe that he has hiked the narrows and normally will keep a video journal of the hikes. Works with 8x10

I second that. Ben Horne does excellent video journals of his photographic excursions.

vinny
29-Apr-2012, 09:38
And when is the best time of year?

Fall. It's an amazing place. Take a hiking stick.
Those "waterproof" pant/boots for rent in town aren't so bring your breathable waders with felt/studded soles.

Heroique
29-Apr-2012, 10:50
If the high season, don’t be afraid to get wet.

Wade in your hiking boots w/ common sense.

You’ll be okay, I promise.

David Lobato
29-Apr-2012, 13:54
I hiked it one October many years ago. Wet feet were inevitable so we wore rag wool socks and gaiters (to maintain a layer of warmth on the lower extremities). Caution and methodical working are necessary as one cannot afford to lose anything in the river. Wear warm clothes on top and have a warm hat handy. Be sure the forecast is for clear weather, flash floods (even miles upstream) are dangerous. Hiking poles are indispensible. It is absolutely beautiful and worth the experience. Plan accordingly and it should be a great trip.

eric black
29-Apr-2012, 15:33
The first time I did the narrows, I rented the waterproof pants and stayed bone dry (IM not very hairy, maybe that makes a difference)- since I have acquired my own waterproof pants- Kokatat makes them and REI carries them as boaters pants or something along that ilk. Waders would probably work fine along with felt bottom trout fishing shoes, but I do enough of this stuff and have a pair of 5-10 Canyoneering shoes along with a pair of neoprene socks that I use- my legs stay dry but my feet get wet and are initially cold and eventually numb over from the coolish water there- agreed that fall is the best time to do this type of thing due to convenience of being able to drive in and park, fewer people and some fall colors to boot. One last note- Im 6'3" and during my fall hikes there have had water as high as my butt with the pants doing there thing- thigh high waders would have flooded had I been wearing them.

ericpmoss
29-Apr-2012, 18:29
+1 on the warm socks/wetsuit recommendation. Even in September with low-ish water, it was pretty cold.
+2 on the trekking pole recommendation. The rocks are slick, and even with slow current, it can easily trip you.
+3 on a bright headlamp if you are inside anywhere near sunset.
+18 on checking the forecast. If it rains anywhere upstream, you can find several feet of rushing water headed your way within the hour, and it's lethal. No rain, and it's lots of fun. Remember to take a potty break before you start, btw.

ROL
30-Apr-2012, 17:58
If you don't see this (other direction) going upstream, you probably took the wrong fork:

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/albums/color/American%20Southwest%20Color/Zion%20Narrows.jpg

I don't think it's possible to get lost going down canyon. :eek:

Chris Wong
30-Apr-2012, 18:25
No problem taking a field camera in. Depending on the water level and your height you might get the bottom of the pack wet in certain spots but most of the hike is knee to crotch level deep for me. I've hiked in during the summer (June) and you probably want to wear quick dry shorts to stay cool. In the fall (October), I highly recommend fishing waders or waterproof pants. The water is cold. Again, depending on water level and your height chest level fishing waders would work. You can always fold down the chest part of the wader if they are not needed. On the feet I wear the 5-10 canyoneering boots that are rented or sold at the outfitter store in Springdale.

I do not use a hiking stick since I have the tripod in one hand already and I need the other hand free to brace against the walls where the water is faster. Look behind you as hike in. There may be a good composition that you just passed. The reflected light changes constantly so what light that was not there when you hiked in will look different when you hike out.

There is a 1 mile hike in on a paved trail from the parking lot so in the fall I carry my waders in until I get to the water. I prefer shooting in the fall with the color of the leaves changing. Try to pick a day with the least amount of clouds. The reflected light bouncing off the walls gives a nice glow.

John Kasaian
1-May-2012, 08:10
No problem taking a field camera in. Depending on the water level and your height you might get the bottom of the pack wet in certain spots but most of the hike is knee to crotch level deep for me. I've hiked in during the summer (June) and you probably want to wear quick dry shorts to stay cool. In the fall (October), I highly recommend fishing waders or waterproof pants. The water is cold. Again, depending on water level and your height chest level fishing waders would work. You can always fold down the chest part of the wader if they are not needed. On the feet I wear the 5-10 canyoneering boots that are rented or sold at the outfitter store in Springdale.

I do not use a hiking stick since I have the tripod in one hand already and I need the other hand free to brace against the walls where the water is faster. Look behind you as hike in. There may be a good composition that you just passed. The reflected light changes constantly so what light that was not there when you hiked in will look different when you hike out.

There is a 1 mile hike in on a paved trail from the parking lot so in the fall I carry my waders in until I get to the water. I prefer shooting in the fall with the color of the leaves changing. Try to pick a day with the least amount of clouds. The reflected light bouncing off the walls gives a nice glow.

Thanks!

Drew Wiley
1-May-2012, 12:39
It's a popular hike, so they post the risk forecast at the Visitor Center and maybe at the
trailhead too. I've only been a little ways up with LF gear, but it was just a matter of
scheduling, since I've done other canyons with similar logistics. Teva-style nonslip sandals
are preferred by some. But I personally have a set of slip-on rubber "water sox" with good
wet traction. The big hiking boots go into a mesh bag, carefully clipped atop the pack.
Then I always have serval thick garbage bags around all the camera gear and film etc,
as well as essential warm clothing. I have slipped and gotten dunked a few times.