PDA

View Full Version : Film near a microwave oven

Bill_1856
27-Apr-2012, 08:58
I know this is a dumb question, but I stupidly left a new box of HP5 film under my elderly microwave oven for a couple of months before I suddenly realized that I hadn't put it into the freezer. It was stored about a foot below the bottom of the microwave, which is used for not more than a couple of minutes almost every day.
Do you have any knowledge/experience if it should be okay or not?

Leigh
27-Apr-2012, 09:48
No effect whatsoever.

Microwave ovens have extensive shielding to ensure that all energy stays inside the box.

- Leigh

Bill_1856
27-Apr-2012, 11:30
No effect whatsoever.

Microwave ovens have extensive shielding to ensure that all energy stays inside the box.

- Leigh

Thanks. Gawd, I hope you're right. 100 sheets of ruined Whole Plate film would be a disaster.

anotherJoe
27-Apr-2012, 12:55
Even if there was radiation leakage, microwaves are longer wavelengths than infrared, well below visible light frequencies and the spectral sensitivity of HP5+.

Leigh
27-Apr-2012, 13:45
Even if there was radiation leakage, microwaves are longer wavelengths than infrared, well below visible light frequencies and the spectral sensitivity of HP5+.
A photographic emulsion would not be sensitive to microwave energy directly.

But emulsions contain moisture, albeit in small amounts, which could be heated
if exposed directly to microwave energy at significant power levels.

I don't know if that would cause any damage, but I would not recommend
experimenting with a full box of film.

- Leigh

jvo
4-May-2012, 16:21
yup microwaves are shielded... in fact a great place to store all electronics to protect from solar flares! those digital guys are screwed!

polyglot
4-May-2012, 21:27
Worst thing that will have happened is the film getting warm from conduction.