PDA

View Full Version : How and why did my Linhof Master develop cracks in the bellows?

Vick Ko
26-Apr-2012, 11:07
I have a Linhof Technika Master.

The bellows has developed cracks on the outer black surface. I do not think they are light leaks, and are only cosmetic.

What caused the cracks? I live in Canada and stored the camera closed, at normal room temperature and normal humidity, perhaps only drier humidity through winter.

See the photo for details.

Has this happened to your Linhof?

Bob Salomon
26-Apr-2012, 11:36
Why not ask Mike at Blazes? It happens with age over time, can happen when a camera is left folded closed for a long time, can happen with environment. The first Master Technika was made in Sept. of 1972. That makes it almost 40 years old! How old is yours?

E. von Hoegh
26-Apr-2012, 11:40
My ST IV was made in '59. It has the original bellows, which are in excellent condition.

Frank Petronio
26-Apr-2012, 12:05
I've seen it happen with several Linhofs. Definitely kills the resale value.

Bill_1856
26-Apr-2012, 12:49
My Tech IV is on its third bellows. Lightly used, stored in folded postion, cool temps, medium humidity. I blaned it on dry rot, but it could be a problem in tanning such thin leather. Judging by the forums, it's a (relatively) common problem.
I've always contended that the bellows is the only weak part of a virtually bulletproof design. I don't understand why Linhof haven't made it with interchangable bellows.

Bob Salomon
26-Apr-2012, 13:02
Bill,

The bellows on a Master Technika allows movements, front and back, with lenses as short as 35mm and as long as the bellows and rails are. Why would the camera need an interchangeable bellows?

Oren Grad
26-Apr-2012, 13:19
Why would the camera need an interchangeable bellows?

So that it can be easily replaced by the user when it cracks, instead of requiring the cost, time and hassle of shipping the camera for service. I can't speak about Blazes because I'm in the US and haven't used them. Martin's great, but his turnaround time on service is weeks to months.

Bob Salomon
26-Apr-2012, 13:27
And Oren,

How often does the average Technika user need to replace that bellows over the lifetime of the camera?

Bill_1856
26-Apr-2012, 15:00
And Oren,

How often does the average Technika user need to replace that bellows over the lifetime of the camera?

I don't know about "average," but it seems to be a fairly common occurance.
While I'm sure that it's wonderful that the Technika can squeeze the bellows for a super wide angle lens, and stretch them out for a long, long one, I doubt that many people who need one facility will make use of the other. A choice of interchangable bellows sizes would benefit both. Apparently Linhof doesn't listen -- just "ja, ja, dot's der vey we do it here."

Frank Petronio
26-Apr-2012, 17:01
The design makes compromises as does everything else... adding removable bellows would increase the bulk slightly, and it is a remarkable bellows considering how long you can extend it and still use a 75mm lens with a little movement. I figure it is like owning a nicer car, plan on regular and costly maintainence over its long lifetime and you'll end up with a lower per-year cost than swapping cameras or chasing magic bullet solutions. If you are using the camera regularly, it will need a CLA (maybe several times) before needing to replace the bellows.

If you want a cheap bellows get a Sinar. If you want a cheap, durable but short bellows get a Crown Graphic. Neither can replace a Technika but peoples' needs are different.

tgtaylor
26-Apr-2012, 17:54
If they are made with leather, then why not treat it occasionally with saddle soap???

E. von Hoegh
27-Apr-2012, 06:59
If they are made with leather, then why not treat it occasionally with saddle soap???

Saddle soap is a cleaner, as the name implies. I give mine a very light application of neat's foot oil every so often. As I posted earlier, they are the original bellows and are in excellent condition.

rlee2010
27-Apr-2012, 20:30
I do not think they are light leaks, and are only cosmetic.
http://www.dingsme.info/avatar4.jpg

Bob Salomon
28-Apr-2012, 06:38
I don't know about "average," but it seems to be a fairly common occurance."

How many occurances here in the forum?
How many Technikas do you think are out there?

And, if one bought a used Technika, how would one know that they even have a Linhof bellows?

SergeiR
28-Apr-2012, 07:35
Well it is thin pigskin, isn't it. If not cared for - any leather product craps out after a while, even pigskin which is super durable.
You can always get replacement synthetic one. I ripped mine out without waiting for it to go bad on me, after getting used technika V, replaced, and happy camper since (first of all b/c i know how to replace it if need arise, secondly - b/c synthetic one is pretty durable, and secondly b/c it is pretty much as compact and stretchy as original one.

PS: i don't care for resale stuff, b/c i like me technika, and intended to shoot with it for as long as i could.

Frank Petronio
28-Apr-2012, 08:59
I tried the Chinese $100 Do-It-Yourself kit and it was tough and functional but not as flexible or nicely mounted as the OEM Linhof replacement. I also had a beat-up Technika IV with a Crown Graphic vinyl bellows that worked fine and was very durable, but limited to only 12-inches so it was quite a compromise!

Paddy McKay
29-Apr-2012, 09:55
A few years ago, I had the bellows on my Tech V, replaced by Camera Bellows, in the UK. It's synthetic, and extremely flexible, but not any bulkier, to my eye. I don't expect to have to replace this any time soon.

TheDeardorffGuy
29-Apr-2012, 17:28
I have a Linhof Technika Master.

The bellows has developed cracks on the outer black surface. I do not think they are light leaks, and are only cosmetic.

What caused the cracks? I live in Canada and stored the camera closed, at normal room temperature and normal humidity, perhaps only drier humidity through winter.

See the photo for details.

Has this happened to your Linhof?

Vick, I did not know you were on this forum. Whats the bellows made from?